Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Getting squirrelly...on the straights.  (Read 1022 times)

Offline CorndawgX

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Davenport,IA
Getting squirrelly...on the straights.
« on: July 10, 2018, 10:58:38 PM »
I only have a little over 6k miles on the OEM Dunlops and they seem to be getting a little loose, but only when going straight and level. Ive noticed no one really raves about these tires but they have served me well for the past 12 months I have had the bike and there seems to be plenty of tread left. Well by plenty I mean I havent reached the indicators yet. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.? BTB cornering feel hasnt really changed all that much.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting squirrelly...on the straights.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:01:28 AM »
Can you explain the issue in a little more details as tyres don't really get "loose" when you are going straight. What's happening, is it weaving or something like that ? If so might be head bearing adjustment (amongst many possibilities) and nothing to do with the tyres.

Online AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
I didn't mind the original tyres, I don't ride too hard, but only got 5,500mls out of the front tyre, rear was still OK.  If they are getting 'squirelly' (over white lines and ruts?) it's maybe time to replace them - lots of comments on tyres here, although as usual I went for something else because of a fantastic deal from my local bike shop, I fitted Pirelli Angel ST road tyres, I never go off road, not even gravel, and they are great!
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »
What tire pressure are you running?  The only time I have had tires act anything like what you describe is when I picked up a screw in my rear tire and it was going flat on the ride home.  It got squirrely like you said.  In the straights it would wander requiring small steering inputs to keep going straight.  In the turns it was weird.  I would counter steer and it would fall into the turn a bit to easily, yet it would drift out on the turn and not track right, again requiring additional steering inputs to hold the line.  Since it was acting strange I stopped and checked the tires.  The rear was half flat.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline CorndawgX

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 03:31:00 PM »
Running 42 rear 36 front. I guess squirrelly isn't terribly descriptive, but it's a subtle thing. The bike tracks pretty straight it's just at times when on very familiar roads it starts to feel more like I'm on a grooved surface. It's not all over the place just doesn't feel as planted as it once did.

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 04:12:05 PM »
I would say you need to replace the tires.  I replaced my OEM Dunlops at 3900 miles.  The front was almost at the wear indicators.  I put on Michelin PR4's.  Night and day difference!  The current model Michelins is the Road 5.  They are highly recommended if you do mostly pavement riding.  FWIW, I run mine at the OEM recommended 36 psi front and 42 psi rear.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 04:37:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by CorndawgX [+]
Running 42 rear 36 front. I guess squirrelly isn't terribly descriptive, but it's a subtle thing. The bike tracks pretty straight it's just at times when on very familiar roads it starts to feel more like I'm on a grooved surface. It's not all over the place just doesn't feel as planted as it once did.

33F and 36R rider only

34F and 39R loaded

It has worked for me wonderfully across two sets of tires.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2018, 06:09:38 PM »
I didn't love the Scorpions that came on my bike, but they are acceptable tires.

Any chance that you are now encountering "tar snakes"; i.e., tar patching cracks in the road.  They can get quite slick in the afternoon sun.

They bother me more on curves than the straights, but it is pretty easy to avoid running on top of one, paralleling the direction you are going, on the straights.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Member
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rainsville, AL
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 10:49:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
I would say you need to replace the tires.  I replaced my OEM Dunlops at 3900 miles.  The front was almost at the wear indicators.  I put on Michelin PR4's.  Night and day difference!  The current model Michelins is the Road 5.  They are highly recommended if you do mostly pavement riding.  FWIW, I run mine at the OEM recommended 36 psi front and 42 psi rear.

This bike, on PR4's is the lightest, most neutral handling bike I have ever ridden.  Re; slightly squirrely tracking.  Slam on the front brake and see if you get the tell tale clunk of loose head bearings.   When parked grab the top of the each tire and yank it back and forth to check for wheel bearing and/or swingarm bearing play.  None of these should be failing yet but sometimes things are defective and sometimes head bearing races are not fully set and play develops quickly.   If that is all good, change tires.  I had a mini-pickup once that developed all kinds of play in the steering and the tires were starting to need changed.  I thought I had failing tie rod ends.  I changed the tires and the play went away.  Something funny was going on inside the tire carcass.  It happens.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:54:56 PM by Bama_Rider »
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X

Offline CorndawgX

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 11:42:36 PM »
After a more thorough inspection of the front I found a few of these.

I think its time for new rubber. Thanks for all the replies.
Called around for on bike tire changes: Honda shop $200
Local Kawasaki...et al...$190
Local performance motorcycle shop $130
I might have to invest in my own mounting equipment eventually.

Recent Topics