Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PR4 vs Avon Trailrider  (Read 3574 times)

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
Re: PR4 vs Avon Trailrider
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 10:36:09 PM »
Most folk are going to be pro PR4's as only a limited number of riders on this forum have ridden with the Avon Trailriders. I'm almost on my second set of TR's apart from the front which has done 16,000 miles and still has a few miles on it. They are a fantastic tyre as are the PR4's, as I have had a set of those also. Both brands are very similar, but the deep cut tread on the TR's make a difference on forest tracks and they look better in my opinion.
I wouldn't bin the originals, but ride them out until you need new ones, then you will have learned a whole new set of skills on wet roundabouts.  :008:
When you then put on the PR4's or TR's you will ride the bike like it's on rails.

Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

https://www.youtube.com/user/irishrover63

Offline ronjr009

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Greeneville, TN
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 11:44:55 PM »
Perspective from a (Former) Pilot Road Snob regarding Avon Trail Riders...  Just finished a 7000+ mile round trip from Tennessee to California and back.  I had decided several months ago to give the Avon Trail Riders a shot for this trip.  Color me impressed...  In fact... There were 5 of us all using the Trail Riders.  (2) CB 500 X's, (2) BMW F 800 GS's, (1) BMW G 650 GS.  The tires did fantastic on all of these machines and all 5 bikes came back with meat left on these tires. We abused these tires pretty good.  We had several days of temps over 100 degrees so the asphalt was pretty toasty for much of the trip and conditions were ideal for chewing up tires between the high temps and being loaded up with gear for touring and the fact that our wrists weren't exactly very light with a lot of mileage at 80 mph out west.  I've still got an solid 1000 miles left on the back and I am projecting the front to at least 10,000 miles as there is still a lot of meat left on these things.  I'd previously used Pilot Road Trail 2, 3, and 4's on both the Wee Strom and the X exclusively.  I still think the Pilot Road Trails are a great tire but I've gotta say that I believe the mileage potential on the the Avons to be superior.  Another very important point of note...  GRIP...  We had one day of "hooligan" style riding in the Eldorado National forest that included some... ummm..... let's say slightly spirited riding where the BMW's were trying to run from the X's (By the way, the 800's couldn't until they hit a straight stretch).  To make a long story short, the chicken strips were almost non-existent and these things stuck like glue and never stepped out on us.  Finally, due to forest fires, we were forced to backtrack about 150 miles or to do about 20 miles of off-roading on roads In Eldorado that were more than just your typical dirt/gravel fire road.  I'll admit, I've not done much more than smooth gravel or dirt so I was way out of my element.  To be quite frank, maybe even a bit apprehensive but I was not about to let those BMW guys get the best of me.  I dropped my PSI's about 6 lbs. per tire to give just a bit more grip.  It wasn't pretty but they got the job done and I had a blast and I never dropped the bike (one of the 800's fell down) and my buddy on his X never fell down either.  We actually ended up getting ahead of the guys on the BMW's.  These are not in any way true off road tires but I think they are a far better choice then PR4's when you push comes to shove and I proved that if your careful, you can do some pretty knarly roads. I can't speak to wet grip as rain was almost non-existent except for a quick shower or two on the interstate on the way back.  They do contain a high degree of silica so that should be beneficial for wet grip.  If you were on the fence about trying the AVON Trail Riders, I don't think they will disappoint. 

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing your impressions of the Trailriders and comparisons with the PR4's.
If you can find some wet conditions to complete the report before you forget how the PR4's were in the wet - then your work will be complete.
All really good material helping us make informed choices :158:

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 09:13:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by catstevecam [+]
Thank you for sharing your impressions of the Trailriders and comparisons with the PR4's.
If you can find some wet conditions to complete the report before you forget how the PR4's were in the wet - then your work will be complete.
All really good material helping us make informed choices :158:

They perform just the same in the wet as the PR4's.

Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

https://www.youtube.com/user/irishrover63

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage