Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Where did your username come from?  (Read 3769 times)

Offline Mikerthebiker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: St. Albert, AB
Re: Where did your username come from?
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2018, 01:55:04 AM »
Mine was given to me by a very good friend. I'm a millwright by trade (industrial mechanic, for the uninitiated). I worked in a shop with a fellow from Fiji. He was of East Indian decent but born and raised in Fiji. As Fiji was a British colony, he was trained as a millwright under the old British system, which probably rivaled Germany's system as being thorough and extensive. He taught me things I never would have heard of (mechanically), had I not had the pleasure to work with him.
His name was Ravandra Chandra but we called him Revvy. Everyone in a shop eventually earns a nickname, it seems. He called me Mikerthebiker as he had pronunciation problems with my last name. Sadly, cancer took him a couple of years ago.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2018, 06:30:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mikerthebiker [+]
Mine was given to me by a very good friend. I'm a millwright by trade (industrial mechanic, for the uninitiated). I worked in a shop with a fellow from Fiji. He was of East Indian decent but born and raised in Fiji. As Fiji was a British colony, he was trained as a millwright under the old British system, which probably rivaled Germany's system as being thorough and extensive. He taught me things I never would have heard of (mechanically), had I not had the pleasure to work with him.
His name was Ravandra Chandra but we called him Revvy. Everyone in a shop eventually earns a nickname, it seems. He called me Mikerthebiker as he had pronunciation problems with my last name. Sadly, cancer took him a couple of years ago.

Interesting back story for sure.  :821:

Offline 2Bpencil

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2018, 05:46:06 PM »
Loving the stories.
I'm an architect from the age of dinosaurs, when pencils, not computers, were the trade tools. My favourite is 2B, which has the right balance between softness for character without needing to be sharpened too often when sketching.
Just checking my height to see if I can join Revoflyer on his steed!

Offline Ironheadziggy76

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Western Kentucky
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2018, 10:24:56 PM »
Years ago I opened an e-mail account that I wanted to be able to remember easily, so I picked Ironhead due to owning a Harley Ironhead Sportster. I get started and every version of Ironhead seemed to be taken, I looked down and the newspaper I was reading with my coffee that was turned to the comics. There was the cartoon character Ziggy staring back at me, and a friend of mine hung that nickname on me years ago because I have his luck. Okay Ironheadziggy it is, so I type it in and :232: it's taken as well! So I finally add the year of the bike to the end of it, and finally it isn't taken, but now it's so long I grumble every time I fat finger it while typing it! Contrary to what my wife says it has nothing to do with the hardness of my head!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:26:19 PM by Ironheadziggy76 »

Offline WhoaNelly!

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x, VTR1000
  • City / Town: Snowdonia
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »
It was an involuntary utterance the first time I really opened up my Firestorm, and occasionally muttered into my helmet when I need to have a word with myself.
Also pressed into service during the first attempt to brake in an early Mazda MX5.  :005:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »
Ok, this is not my nick of course but I thought it an entertaining story.

There was a younger guy that use to ride with a group that I rode with in my youth. When something made him mad or upset him, he would put on his helmet and close the face shield, while sitting with his back to everyone and arms crossed. One of the older member walked by him, slapped the back of his helmet and called him a whiny @$$.

During another ride, he did the same thing, but this time he was wearing a modular helmet. He got all upset about something at dinner and on went the helmet. The same guy that slapped his helmet yelled across the restaurant," HEY! It ain't time to whine and dine."

About a month later, this username, Whine-N-Dine, shows up on our message board. Sure enough, it was him. Avatar was him in street clothes, wearing his helmet, arms crossed, sitting in a dining room or a restaurant. That guy just kept setting himself up to be humiliated. Maybe he liked it.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 10:24:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by WhoaNelly! [+]
It was an involuntary utterance the first time I really opened up my Firestorm, and occasionally muttered into my helmet when I need to have a word with myself.
Also pressed into service during the first attempt to brake in an early Mazda MX5.  :005:

Ha! That's great. I had a similar sentiment when I opened up the throttle on a Ducati Streetfighter S, the 1198 motored one. It was my first time riding a liter bike. Mind blown.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2019, 04:15:42 AM »
Mine has evolved from something I used on a forum I joined many years ago.  Aggie95 derives from the fact I graduated from Texas A&M University with a BS in Mechanical Engineering in 1995.  The A&M stands for Agricultural and Mechanical which comes from the original name of TAMU which was Texas Agricultural and Mechanical College, or TAMC.  It was shortened to the current name several decades ago.  We were, until about 1963, strictly a military institute, and were, and still are, known as the "fightin' Texas Aggies".

Thanks Thirtyone. This has been a fun read! :821:

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Offline denislordm

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Kings Lynn
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2019, 08:46:13 AM »
Some funny anecdotes here - Mine arrived via a christmas present some years ago I was given a certificate of land ownership you know it gives you a square foot of land somewhere and while on that land you have the right to be called Lord or Lady  Doo Dah Doo Dah etc. So I simply added my name and Initial and there you go.

Offline ZzipyT0

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastbourne
« Reply #49 on: Yesterday at 05:06:52 PM »
Mine is after one of my beachcasting rods, a Zziplex T Zero

Recent Topics