Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield and vortex generator  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Prestone

• CB500X Member
  • bikes, boobs and guns, what more do i need
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/ZRX1200R
  • City / Town: Silkeborg
Windshield and vortex generator
« on: July 19, 2018, 01:38:05 PM »
I have been doing a bit of work trying to remove execive wind noise and buffeting.

First i got me a MRA touring vario screen, it didnt work in stock configuration (im 6'2) then i spaced it out in different ways and ended up with 30mm in top and 15mm in the bottom, it was better! Then i drilled a few set of new holes to mount it in and enden up raising the screen 35mm that way, it was a lot better, but i still had a bit of buffeting (using Arai tour X4) the peak vibrated a bit.

Suddenly i got to think of a projekt i worked on some years back with stalling of tips on windturbines, the solution was Vortex generators... had to make a few simple ones to try out, and it actually works, still not there yet and i have to experiment with shape, size and placement before im satisfied..

They are easy to make out of some 1mm lexan sheet, some patience, a ruler, a knife, sicors, some doubble sided tape, and a cup of coffe.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Windshield and vortex generator
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 04:38:59 PM »
Hi - thanks for your input - looking forward to your results - who knows, this may be the breakthrough we are all ready for  :001:
PS I'd be happy to test one of your vortex generators on a standard (2016) screen.

Offline nbsdave

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 500X, ABS
  • City / Town: Sarasota, FL
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 09:04:23 PM »
great idea, keep us posted
if you like the results we'll need dimensions

Offline Prestone

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »
Well its just to try something, its only a matter of disturbing the flow over the edge of the screen.

Its trial and error but small winglets will do the trick, maybe 15mm long and 5mm high in aprox 15-20 degrees.

The ones i just did dosent need to be so big, but they are alot easyer to make in a hurry :) also the angles are off, but then again, 15min by the desk over a cup of coffe, just for the heck of it :)

Will try some other variants in a few weeks

Offline Prestone

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 01:17:28 PM »
Been doing a lot of  testing (foggy weather is just great for doing that) it seems that the airspeed over the generators is not high enough to keep the air disturbed enough to go all the way up and over my head, they do make quite a difference tho, and now i can ride with my visor open all the way up to 100 km/h, before i could only do it up to about 45 km/h, so thats really nice.

My peak is shaped a bit like an aerofoil and it just kept on vibrating a bit (very little after the generators) with a very low frequency, to get the last bit of vibrating to go away i hot glued in 2 pieces of carbon tubing and a sandwich of 2 layers of 1mm lexan to make it more stiff, that did the trick...

In strong head on, and 45 degree sidewinds there is still a little problem, but for now im satisfied with the project.

The shape and size of the generators will vary with each type of screen, angle, placement of generators, height of rider, and a lot of other factors, but its worth putting in a bit of time, and a lot of fun :)

This is the version i enden up with that works for me.

The cuts are 10mm deep and 7.5mm wide, the part where the tape goes is also 10mm. A lot of the fine tuning is about bending the winglets far enough over and trying different mounting heights on the screen.

Hope someone can use this :)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:23:47 PM by Prestone »

Offline Prestone

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 09:00:22 PM »
Well, got me a new helmet (Scorpion ADX-1) and all the work went down the toilet, aerodynamics are quite picky and really easy to screw up! I have tried a lot of VG configurations with the new helmet, but no luck this time around.

I saw this guy on youtube.

This must be the next experimet to do when im back from vacation :)

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 12:45:53 AM »
Works like a champ:

John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline unswitched

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Longmont
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 08:37:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by jsonder [+]
Works like a champ:

And what is it.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 09:52:23 PM »
Removing the whole shield and assembly I guess. He's riding that bike naked. I mean the bike that is. ;-)

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 05:20:23 PM »
Removing the windscreen in Arizona (a desert state) might work for him since he doesnt have to deal with real world conditions of rain and cold.  A good windscreen is a must for me since I commute year round in conditions from low teens to 100+ F and from sunny days to the occasional downpour.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Recent Topics