Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windshield and vortex generator  (Read 2820 times)

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
Re: Windshield and vortex generator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 06:38:01 PM »
Yup, the climate is a very important factor.  I've ridden naked bikes for 59 years.  It does take proper gear for even short rides in bad weather.  If I lived in a wet, cold climate I would have been looking at other options.

BTW, I got caught in a hailstorm just as I entered Butte, Montana, when I was trying to beat a storm.  I was thoroughly soaked by the time that I got the bike safely stopped off the road.  The raingear stayed in the bag, I checked into a motel, and washed clothes after a long hot shower.  That was the only unexpected expense associated with removing the windscreen braces.  Below is a picture of the bike earlier that day at Quake Lake, Montana.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 06:55:08 PM by jsonder »
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 10:34:29 PM »
Actually worth trying is moving the top screen to the front of the main screen and reduce the gap to 10 to 15mm and make sure the gap decreases or stays the same as it goes up the screen. If you open it as the air flows it seems to stuff up the flow and pull the top air flow back down and shed. That may smooth up the flow from both the top and bottom screen.
 I have used this config for years on different bikes

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 10:37:57 PM by gregjet »

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2018, 12:07:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by gregjet [+]
Actually worth trying is moving the top screen to the front of the main screen and reduce the gap to 10 to 15mm and make sure the gap decreases or stays the same as it goes up the screen. If you open it as the air flows it seems to stuff up the flow and pull the top air flow back down and shed. That may smooth up the flow from both the top and bottom screen.
 I have used this config for years on different bikes

That's clever.  :062:

I'm surprised that companies haven't worked out the maths for either of these designs, yours nor the vortex generators from the OP.

Online timur

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Madrid
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »
Very interesting topic (althought almost 1 year old)! I also experienced buffeting problems with my bike and long trips was quite tiresome so I tried to mitigate the vortex shedding adding some turbulence in upstream air. Here is my version of vortex generator (it's a simplified version of micro ramp VG):

The most difficult thing was to determine the flux direction for each VG location point - every individual VG should be oriented according to the incident air. So a bit of aerodynamic experimentation with adhesive tape and thin cord strips is requiered before. Once you defined the flux direction for each VG position you only need to bond each VG and check it on road. IMO it works - I can travel at 130 km/h without buffeting and the noise is mitigated.

The only issue appears with crosswind or when following other cars (SUVs are the worst ones - there is a lot of turbulence behind them) - the windshield is too small and the wind strikes directly in the body and helmet. Anyway, without crosswind it's quite comfy and I don't need earplugs anymore for travel.

Regards

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage