Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Buying CB500X used - anything to watch out, any known problems?  (Read 5033 times)

Offline blacknester

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Sisak
Hello,
I am new here :D

I have read up a bit over this thread but would like to ask the following as I have not found the exact thread with similar question:
Are there any known problems on CB500X and things that fail when they should not?
So far I have noticed people complaining about coolant disappearing / leaking on 2014 - anything else I should be aware of?

I am coming from a Burgman 400 (2007) that had coolant leak but only after 11 years of riding, makes me wonder if Honda lost the quality of old?

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
Re: Buying CB500X used - anything to watch out, any known problems?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:52:35 AM »
It is a Thai-made bike to contain costs.  The leaking water pump is the biggie.  As my dirt bike is air cooled, I don't think about it much, but my CB500X hasn't had the problem in 17,400 miles; it is used for street and occasional graveled roads, not serious off-road riding.  I'm old and short, so it is too heavy for me off road.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX, VFR, R1150R
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 11:44:03 AM »
On one hand, it is a "budget bike" so there are various plastic clips and other finishing bits that are less premium than on the more expensive Hondas. The suspension and brakes aren't premium either.

On the other hand, everything works, the engine is bombproof and I have no doubt that a well looked after model will go for years and years.

Run your standard checks on a second hand bike, paying particular attention to the dust seals and stanchions on the forks, rear shock performance and the consumables to assert whether the bike has been looked after.
Hawk

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
Great bike, very few problems - More Bikes have a link to MCN on line, with a brief review - https://www.morebikes.co.uk/motor-cycle-monthly/
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »
I haven't got the impression that the coolant problem is widespread. My bike has run further than most in its time, and the only problems I've had are not those that I think can be pinned down to any single bike or manufacturer, but are rather to quite generic parts.

The only 'unusual' problems I've had are a failed rear wheel bearing at 40,000km (if I remember correctly), and one of the fork seals went at about 60,000km. I've had two headlight globes go.

Service intervals are quite good at 12,000km for a oil and oil filter and every 24,000km for the major service (characterised by checking the valve clearances and replacing the plugs). Many bikes require more frequent attention.

I've done about 145,000km on mine now, and there is no sign of the bike becoming tired.

It's not a bike that carries any reason for concern about major mechanical issues. My only comment of caution would be that for home mechanics, removing the plastic for access can be very annoying.
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 04:15:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by goldfever [+]
Run your standard checks on a second hand bike, paying particular attention to the dust seals and stanchions on the forks, rear shock performance and the consumables to assert whether the bike has been looked after.

also look around the engine for any indications of blistering lacquer (clear coating) - particularly at the engine casing joins.

If you know someone from this forum (in your area) or someone bike knowledgeable, ask them to look over the bike with you - that lifts pressure off you when you're talking to the seller and hopefully helps to point out any areas of interest for negotiating an improved price.  Good luck.
 :152:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 04:31:46 AM »
Some bikes have the valve clearances go tight before the owners manual says they should be checked and adjusted. Mine were all tight by 9000 miles and giving me running problems. Manual states 16,000 miles for check and adjustment. I don't know what that is in KM right off.

Offline Gills

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Chesterfield
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 09:14:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
The only 'unusual' problems I've had are a failed rear wheel bearing at 40,000km (if I remember correctly), and one of the fork seals went at about 60,000km. I've had two headlight globes go.

I've done about 145,000km on mine now, and there is no sign of the bike becoming tired.

That's very impressive for 90k miles. It's good to know yours is holding up so well. I'm only at 36k miles, but get the impression that the basic design is very good and it's only the peripherals (bearings, seals etc) that are going to let it down.

Offline goldfever

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX, VFR, R1150R
  • City / Town: Bristol UK
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gills [+]
That's very impressive for 90k miles. It's good to know yours is holding up so well. I'm only at 36k miles, but get the impression that the basic design is very good and it's only the peripherals (bearings, seals etc) that are going to let it down.

Yep, my feeling too at 30,000mi. Finish is showing the few winters she's seen, but the core mechanical bits are just as they should be.
Hawk

Offline nicecupoftea

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x
  • City / Town: Paisley
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »
My advice would be don't buy a new one....buy one with some miles on it then you get a bike which is run in and drives the way it is when you ride it.....the teason I say this is that I bought mine new 2 months ago and have put 3700 miles on it...in the last few hundred miles I've noticed more vibration through the handlebars/grips....it's been back to the supplying dealer who maintain the bike is just bedded in now and is showing no undue vibrations etc....basically unless you have a dealer who bothers they will be of no help whatsoever. ...so if I was to do it again it would be a used buy (from a forum member ideally) or try a few from a dealer...you'll get to see the bike which hopefully it's warts if it has any have developed....

Recent Topics