Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Side panel grommets  (Read 855 times)

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Side panel grommets
« on: August 07, 2018, 02:09:31 PM »
If you are having problems with the side panel grommets coming out or the side panels being hard to remove or install, just lube the grommets with a light silicone oil each time you remove the side panels.  This will make the panels very easy to remove and to position as you install it.  It will also allow the side panel pins to slide out of the grommets instead of sticking and pulling the grommets out of the frame.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Samsgrandad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Langport
Re: Side panel grommets
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 10:11:19 PM »
Either that or use a smear of red rubber grease, that works as well.

Offline Ceebixits500

• CB500X Member
  • What if we are NOT the culmination of evolution?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: Cork
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 10:28:29 PM »
Being new to the forum, I was not aware of this topic.

I had been doing a little poking about to learn the innards of my new baby and to wire in a battery monitor/USB GPS charge point.
Next day I spotted two little black 'roundy 'objects on the workshop floor.
What's all this? I said, talking to myself once again!  :191:
Clearly, they had dropped out of my CBX. But where from?

Days later, still scratching my head, I searched the parts listing for 'GROMMETS' and found the answer here: 
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2015-honda-cb500x-abs/o/m156895#sch907877

This is certainly something to watch for any time you remove a side panel. An unknown unknown!
Have now lubed both sides. Good tip.

Ceebixits

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
If you are having problems with the side panel grommets coming out or the side panels being hard to remove or install, just lube the grommets with a light silicone oil each time you remove the side panels.  This will make the panels very easy to remove and to position as you install it.  It will also allow the side panel pins to slide out of the grommets instead of sticking and pulling the grommets out of the frame.

Good post. I bought my bike used and found a number of those grommets missing altogether. I ordered up a bunch of them and will be keeping them lightly lubricated so I don't keep losing them.

Back in my days of owning Triumph triples, you could take the throttle body/fuel rail assembly off as one unit. There are three separate throttle bodies that all connect to the intake via rubber connectors (then a hose clamp on top of course). Just an extremely light coat of grease allowed the assembly to be installed and removed without any fuss.

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 07:28:50 PM »
WE stress....Silicone grease only....not ordinary grease as it will perish and rot the rubber .
You can get a small pot of silicone grease from any plumbers merchant....the red stuff is the same as silicone.....just red used in brake caliper assembly .
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:11:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by bullroarer [+]
WE stress....Silicone grease only....not ordinary grease as it will perish and rot the rubber .
You can get a small pot of silicone grease from any plumbers merchant....the red stuff is the same as silicone.....just red used in brake caliper assembly .

Thanks for stressing this!

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage