Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Buffering solved: Palmer products  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Doofy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Enderby
Re: Buffering solved: Palmer products
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »
Thanks for the install tip! Will help for sure. I was thinking it could be a tight fit.

I was also wondering about a DIY solution for it - I imagine even some bendable plastic may work. In the end I was lazy!

I'll report back on how the baffle works - my daily ride is some twisty's, some city and some highway, so should be enough variety.
Hopefully it arrives next week some time-but may be wishful thinking to small town Canada!

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500x
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 01:06:53 AM »
The ride home was louder than the way in. Some wind noise around but not like before  and i was pleased to say 55-70mph was about the same with no real noticeable increase in sound. Not silent, not perfect  but still better and I expect longer distances will be far less fatiguing now.

Having a look DIY will be easy as there are perfectly placed holes(I guess the bung fit these). Something like a 9" by 3" bit of wood will do the trick or a horizontal sat Nav like a few people on this forum seem to have.

Hopefully you get yours soon.

On a side note, going to Canada 3 years ago
to visit some mates out there left a great impression of the country and the people.
All the best
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Offline Doofy

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Enderby
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 03:55:31 AM »
Yeah the SatNav there is a great idea. A natural spot for it.

Glad you had a great time on your trip over here.  I'm biased but I think it's pretty cool! Cheers Dukie.  :821:

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Member
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rainsville, AL
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 04:48:09 AM »
Since I saw the title of the top post I can't get the image out of my head of me twisting the throttle and getting a spinning hourglass with "buffering" under it for 10 seconds before the bike accelerates.
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X

Offline UKJeeper

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 05:20:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by nbsdave [+]
thank you, Dukie
looks like it's well made

Mine has held up just fine, for 10,000 miles around the US. Gets my vote.

Offline richardbd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dukie [+]
So I took the plunge and bought the Palmer products uk screen mount for my 2017 500x.
Yes it's ugly but it has removed all wind noise that plagued my life on the 2013 model and is still present on the 2017 model.

The Palmer products screen makes the bike as noisy/quiet as a naked motorcycle. I hear engine not wind. Only tested up to 52mph so not sure about  the motorway at 70mph.

It performs far better than my previous combo of brunt screen adapter, wunderlicht screen lip and honda taller touring screen.

Due to the very large gap between the bottom of the screen and the headlight assembley wind/air flow silently enters and hit my neck under my helmet but does not create any turbulence or sound.

The screen can be observed vibrating from time to time but with the rubber washers provided for all mount points it cannot be felt at all.

As far as I'm concerned this has resolved the wind noise on the cb500x.

It seems well built and set to last.
I am 170cm tall  5.7"
I have the bracket set in upright position (no additional rear tilt) on the max height and when I raise my hand above my head I can feel all the turbulent air. This leads me to believe guys around 6" 6.2 will be in this blast zone

I will update in around 1000 miles.

I hope it works for 6' riders too - I just ordered the same!

Online catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 10:28:10 AM »
Hi - I'm looking forward to multiple reviews of Palmer brackets with the standard Honda screen - if it is a universal solution, it will be great business for Palmer products (maybe we can arrange a club discount?) and so much cheaper (in cash and materials) than the Madstad replacement screen.
                                             :028:

Offline cbmark

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: York
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »
Also keen to read folks opinions.

My bike has sat in the garage mainly due to the wind buffeting issue. I have the Givi 1121 tall screen.
Mounted in either high or low position is horrendous, no matter how i adjust my seating position, or hunch down its bad.
The original screen isn't any better either.

I have made some DIY brackets as a POC before i wanted to shell out money on some proper stuff.

Have seen good reviews on Palmer Products brackets for the 500x, though folk also champion the Bruudt brackets and also champion the screen extenders - which i don't want!

will be following this with interest, and agree with catstevecam, group discount would be great!!
2015 CB500X

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »

I have the standard screen with the Palma Brackets.   I quite like it.  If you do go for it then make sure you get the optional "Tool-less Knobs", these are big knobs that make it easy to adjust the screen position.    I actually use these a lot as I have discovered that the characteristics change depending on speed and wind direction, so sometimes I do pull over and make an adjustment to minimise turbulence on a trip.   

What I need to do, and if I remember I will start doing this on my trip tomorrow to Germany, is start taking notes regarding screen positions and conditions (my expected speed and wind direction) to make it a bit easier to set up and adjust on trips.    Tomorrow it will be motorway to the Euro Tunnel, then as little motorway as possible through France to Belgium.  Then local roads through Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany as much as possible.   Have maps, so I will also be looking for some dirt tracks to have a bit of fun on. 

Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500x
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 04:02:30 PM »
Make sure to have a great time and do a trip write up
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Recent Topics