Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2000 mile perspective.  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Pro
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rainsville, AL
2000 mile perspective.
« on: August 09, 2018, 11:36:35 PM »
I've had the bike for about 8 weeks and put 2000 miles on it just doing local riding around.  I already have a perfectly good (excellent really) touring bike in my 2012 FJR1300.  My problem is that this little puppy of a motorcycle is too enjoyable to ride.   I am planning a trip up into the WV mountains later this year and now I am thinking of taking this bike instead.  I took off the passenger pegs to do other stuff so hard panniers are out of the question.  About to pull the trigger on a Ventura bike pack setup.  We have one on my wife's little Suzuki Savage and it works well.
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X
19 SV650

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
Re: 2000 mile perspective.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:52:42 PM »
I rode mine from southern Arizona to mid Montana 3 years ago, using a Giant Loop Great Basin bag.  I had a less than direct route going through national parks and such.  The bike was fine.

John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 01:31:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bama_Rider [+]
I've had the bike for about 8 weeks and put 2000 miles on it just doing local riding around.  I already have a perfectly good (excellent really) touring bike in my 2012 FJR1300.  My problem is that this little puppy of a motorcycle is too enjoyable to ride.   I am planning a trip up into the WV mountains later this year and now I am thinking of taking this bike instead.  I took off the passenger pegs to do other stuff so hard panniers are out of the question.  About to pull the trigger on a Ventura bike pack setup.  We have one on my wife's little Suzuki Savage and it works well.

For this kind of trip why are you leaning towards the X now? I've never been on an FJR but I imagine it's a very comfortable bike to ride.

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Pro
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 03:39:44 PM »
The FJR is a very comfortable bike to ride.   It also has much better weather protection, is stupid fast and shaft driven.  100mph is just a relaxed cruising speed.  You can pass an RV on a 100 yard straight.   There is no doubt that it is a far better road touring bike than my X.   If I knew it was going to be cold or rain a lot, I would take it for sure.   I am leaning towards taking the X for two reasons.  One is because of the possibility of exploring roads I wouldn't ride a big heavy bike on and two is just nostalgia I suppose.   People used to ride whatever bike they had, wherever they wanted to go.  Strap a bag on the back of a CB450 and hit the road.  I see posts of people travelling coast to coast on their 500's  and it sounds like fun to me.  I am intrigued by the idea of touring on a lightweight bike and taking only what I need.  Why not give it a try?   I also have a friend who might go with me that has an NC700X that he rode to Alaska and back.  The 500X has about the same horsepower as the 700 and is a bit lighter.  They are pretty well matched as far as capability.  Maybe going someplace on a smaller bike just feels like more of an adventure?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:42:10 PM by Bama_Rider »
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X
19 SV650

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 04:06:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bama_Rider [+]
The FJR is a very comfortable bike to ride.   It also has much better weather protection, is stupid fast and shaft driven.  100mph is just a relaxed cruising speed.  You can pass an RV on a 100 yard straight.   There is no doubt that it is a far better road touring bike than my X.   If I knew it was going to be cold or rain a lot, I would take it for sure.   I am leaning towards taking the X for two reasons.  One is because of the possibility of exploring roads I wouldn't ride a big heavy bike on and two is just nostalgia I suppose.   People used to ride whatever bike they had, wherever they wanted to go.  Strap a bag on the back of a CB450 and hit the road.  I see posts of people travelling coast to coast on their 500's  and it sounds like fun to me.  I am intrigued by the idea of touring on a lightweight bike and taking only what I need.  Why not give it a try?   I also have a friend who might go with me that has an NC700X that he rode to Alaska and back.  The 500X has about the same horsepower as the 700 and is a bit lighter.  They are pretty well matched as far as capability.  Maybe going someplace on a smaller bike just feels like more of an adventure?

Absolutely makes sense to me. I rode a KTM450 dirt bike from Connecticut to Guatemala and back just to see if it could be done (by me). Would I ever do it again? Nooooope. But, if I hadn't done it I probably would have always wondered.

If you're feeling adventurous, why not?  :821:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:07:58 PM by ThirtyOne »

Offline bullroarer

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: FJR/CB500X
  • City / Town: East Sussex
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 08:48:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bama_Rider link=topic=7530.msg72488#msg72488
date=1533911984
I have the same theory. My FJR ....what a bike, however the 500 has a great appeal for simplistic touring, easy to manoeuvre too.
  Im going to Corsica this year on the Yam, but seriously considered the Honda.
Better to be late in this life,than early in the next

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 11:57:14 PM »
FWIW - my $.02:

I had an FJR. Truly, truly a fantastic motorcycle. Take the 500X. Both bikes will get you to the destination - but 1 will be a more enjoyable ride. The X is so much lighter - more nimble - more fun and easier to ride SLOWLY. It'll do all the speed limits with ease - once you get more comfortable with the higher rpm's << still quiet and vibration free.

The FJR WILL be more comfortable - if that's what you want on the trip - to go from A to B. The 500X will get you to B - easily - and let you explore more with confidence. If you want to "haul a$$" the FJR is your bike. If you want to "play along the way" the 500X is your bike - hands down.

Not that I'm the least bit prejudiced about any of this.  :001:

Best of luck with your decision and ride safe!!
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 05:57:40 AM »
I can really only offer a comment about the X. I've done 200km on a series 1 FJR, but that's not enough to form a helpful view.

What I can say is that I ride my X about 200km each day commuting, and I've done a few 1,000km days on it with camping gear, panniers and a gear sack. I find my bike to be perfectly comfortable, although I do know that comfort is a subjective thing since everyone is built differently.

I thoroughly enjoy riding my bike, and wouldn't hesitate to take it on long trips in future.

Although this doesn't apply to you, for anyone else who might be thinking of taking a passenger on a long trip, I'd suggest a few moderate distance test runs to make sure that they will be comfortable - this aspect of comfort is one that can easily be missed due to enthusiasm.
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline Bama_Rider

• CB500X Pro
  • Bama_Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 06:49:11 AM »
That's good advice.   I like to take prospective touring enthusiasts for an overnight ride that I know will include a few hours or half day of riding in the rain.  If rain riding is going to freak you out, forget touring.  The weather is just not that predictable.
12 FJR1300
03 Duc 800SS
15 CB500X
19 SV650

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage