Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Locks - U lock, Disk lock and Chain padlocks - watch them all fail!  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Re: Locks - U lock, Disk lock and Chain padlocks - watch them all fail!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 06:37:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]

Well that's a turnaround then from the feedback the policeman was getting. I park in Temple Row so it will be interesting to see when these anchors appear.

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 06:46:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Samsgrandad [+]
Taunton have installed anchor points in one of their town centre car parks and more than half bikes are just parked up by the anchor points and left rather than being locked to the anchor points!!

I suppose to be fair half the problem is any decent chain is going to be very heavy so not easy to carry around and frankly not a good idea to have in a back pack as any hard object could seriously injure you if you come off. It's a tough problem to solve really.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 06:48:29 PM by Applecorp »

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 07:00:55 PM »
Fair enough, it's good news though I suppose.

Offline uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 01:48:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Samsgrandad [+]
With regard to uku383's point that the CB500x is a budget bike, that is a fair point but a joy rider simply wants a ride and if it's a budget bike he will not car one jot, if he can get it going he will take whatever is nickable, any chain is therefore some form of deterrent

I certainly don't disagree - I think that some form of protection is a good idea.

I'm pretty lucky in that my bike is garaged at home and at work - and on weekends my bike is in areas where it's not easy to pinch a bike without being noticed. Also (and I'd be genuinely interested if someone else can provide a different view), I really don't think that bike theft is as a big issue in Australia as it seems to be elsewhere. It does seem that in the UK in particular there is a lot of discussion about thieves.

Frankly, the idea of anyone pinching a bike annoys me no end. It really offends my sense of 'community' as much as anything else... I love the exchange of a nod or a wave from other riders, and the idea that someone might steal bikes seems something like a betrayal.

Meh - maybe I'm just a bit too sensitive.  :002:
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 03:04:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
Let's face it.  If they really want your bike there is nothing you can do to stop them if they have a little time.  A good lock will slow them down and hopefully get them to move on to an easier target.  If the bike isn't locked onto an immovable object it is very easy and fast for 4 men with a couple 2x4's inserted through the wheels to just pick the bike up and load it into a van.  I've seen security video of just that scenario.

I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where the factory steering head lock is sufficient and the insurance company will cover any loss of the bike.  It's not unusual for people to leave jackets, helmets and GPS's on the bike when going into a store or restaurant.

:462:

There's only so much you can do. If they really want it, they're going to get it. I was talking with a friend that's from London and he was telling me about bike theft there. I had no idea how bad it was.

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »
In the garage I use an Almax 19mm chain & an Abloy 362 padlock through a ring cast into the garage floor, I don't live in a high crime area but I take security seriously, but when out & about I usually rely on a disc lock.
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 08:59:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lancs-lad [+]
In the garage I use an Almax 19mm chain & an Abloy 362 padlock through a ring cast into the garage floor, I don't live in a high crime area but I take security seriously, but when out & about I usually rely on a disc lock.

I don't live in a high crime area either and like you I take security seriously, but that didn't stop the buggers trying to steal my two bikes on my front drive in January earlier this year. They only got as far as removing the covers before I caught them in the act and chased them off, scary though as it wasn't just some random yobs, it was 2 mopeds with two people on each and also a van waiting to put the bikes in. Some others (maybe connected - I don't know) came back two weeks later and tried again minus the van, I caught them in the act again and off they went. Haven't seen any attempts since.

I'd genuinely love to smash their heads in, this kind of scum in the UK really makes me angry, especially as they have the nerve to post their crimes on Facebook and gloat about the misery they are inflicting on hard working people.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:05:35 PM by Applecorp »

Offline cbmark

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500X
  • City / Town: York
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 02:27:54 PM »
You would think, at least in the UK - a desire to migrate to a low carbon economy, coupled with most roads which are at beyond saturation point especially in cities and rush hours, local authorities would want to encourage the use of motorcycles, and as such create safe parking bays with ground anchors etc.

Carrying a beefy chain and lock in the panniers isn't a problem (if you have panniers that is) but as seen it takes minutes to lift a bike into a van and its pretty much gone forever. 

Sad state of affairs. Like others have said, these oiks need to face the consequences for their actions.
2015 CB500X

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage