Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Service Manual  (Read 88362 times)

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
Re: Service Manual
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2015, 07:56:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Defender [+]
If you spend a couple of minutes with a search engine, you will find what you seek. That goes for everyone.
I thought the above made it clear, perhaps not. For the record then, please do not ask me for any information regarding  the purchase or supply of service manuals. It has been pointed out that there are  copies for sale which may be in contravention of copyright law in the UK. I would be the last one to bring this forum into disrepute and would appreciate everyone's co-operation in this matter.
Any further queries will not elicit a response.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Defender [+]
I thought the above made it clear, perhaps not. For the record then, please do not ask me for any information regarding  the purchase or supply of service manuals. It has been pointed out that there are  copies for sale which may be in contravention of copyright law in the UK. I would be the last one to bring this forum into disrepute and would appreciate everyone's co-operation in this matter.
Any further queries will not elicit a response.
I guess I missed something  why would anyone ask you for a service manual?
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline eeore39648

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2015, 01:21:09 PM »
motorboy, a few replies back there was a misunderstanding. About the availability of a "Free" service manual.
There is not one for "Free"
I have searched to Buy a 500X service manual. All the suppliers seem bogus. Xerox'ed copies of the original. So, perhaps that's why members keep asking for the manual on this forum.
 :450:
Funny thing is, I have a Versys service manual and parts manual. Both in Pdf format.
I had none of these copyright concerns or worries. I got them from a very good Versys forum.

Offline badpauly

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13/'14 CB500x
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2015, 04:16:36 AM »
The issue with this "original" vs "copied" service manual is long and messy, and comes down to risk management.

If the details are published, they might be seen by the copyright-holder, they might decide to begin legal action, and it might cost money to defend. A lot of "might"s there, and in the real world, the risk is minor, BUT there is still a risk of it happening, and the moderators have chosen to remove that risk. It's their call.

Since the 500 is still quite new, and the manual is quite concise, you won't see the manual turned into a PDF anytime soon. I'd love to have a digital copy to go with my printed copy, but until someone decides to strip a copy and scan it, it's not going to happen. The only guy who has done it, is the one selling the copied manuals. And with the almost-ransom pricing for the "original" manuals being sold, not enough copies are out there for someone to decide to scan it.

In a nutshell, you have three options;
1. Spend the offensive amount asked for the official manual.
2. Buy the cheap "copy".
3. Go without.

And even if there was a PDF copy floating about, I'd expect any link to it to last less than a few hours here before being removed.
If it's too wet to ride, you might be underwater.

Offline Defender

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Yamaha YBR
  • City / Town: Pwllheli
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2015, 10:24:19 AM »
Eeore, It wasn't confusion over a free copy that is causing the requests, but the availability of a version of the manual which has turned out to be a copy of the original. This has been deemed to be an infringement of UK copyright law, and as such was barred from mention on this forum, by Admin. Quite a reasonable decision as it can be found elsewhere without risk to the forum and it's reputation. It is therefore up to the individual to decide what and where to buy. I hope that clarifies matters to all. As badpauly says, there are 3 choices.
If I can help somebody as I go along, then my living has not been in vain.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »
Don't want to stir up anything else but wondering if there is an official reputable source that sells a PDF version? I'd rather have a PDF version so I can put it on my phone in case I need it on the road, I do this for all my bikes. I then print off any pages that I need to perform a task in the garage as needed (i.e. valves, throttle sync, etc.).

Offline badpauly

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13/'14 CB500x
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2015, 01:10:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by HerrDeacon [+]
Don't want to stir up anything else but wondering if there is an official reputable source that sells a PDF version? I'd rather have a PDF version so I can put it on my phone in case I need it on the road, I do this for all my bikes. I then print off any pages that I need to perform a task in the garage as needed (i.e. valves, throttle sync, etc.).

There isn't, and there won't be.

I'd love a PDF copy to go with my printed one, but the only way you will see a PDF is if you (or someone) makes it... and that's a lot of work.
If it's too wet to ride, you might be underwater.

Offline Handypete

• CB500X Pro
  • Enjoy life every day!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Red 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chicoutimi, QC
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2015, 01:50:32 PM »
This thread needs to be deleted. Responsable adults don't need an Internet forum to help buy a legitimate copy of the manual.  :125:

_pete
__pete

Offline McVicar

• CB500X Pro
  • Somerset, England
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Red CB500X
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Handypete [+]
This thread needs to be deleted. Responsable adults don't need an Internet forum to help buy a legitimate copy of the manual.  :125:

_pete
Well I found it useful to find an illegitimate copy, which I would not have chanced but for the good feedback on here.

Offline Handypete

• CB500X Pro
  • Enjoy life every day!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Red 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chicoutimi, QC
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by McVicar [+]
Well I found it useful to find an illegitimate copy, which I would not have chanced but for the good feedback on here.

So what's your point? Should everyone just make copies of everything? Doesn't copyright have it's place anymore? I'm old school, and if I want something I pay for it (with the money I earn working)
__pete

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage