Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ABS Switchable  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: ABS Switchable
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainCranky [+]
Hi Jonathan,
I got the Rally Raid ABS cut-off switch and it works fine, but with this particular ABS it's all or nothing as the ABS system relies on data from both wheels and is not programmable otherwise.
I must admit I rarely switch it off now except on very steep, rubble/gravel downhills.
You can kill the ABS on the fly with the switch but need to turn the engine on and off to re-activate it. I must admit that laziness  :180: has had me just kill the engine whilst still moving, hit the switch, restart the engine and the ABS has come back on fine that way.
I did a bit of a review when I fitted it if you want to see, cheers buddy.

Thanks CC...good review! Having to kill the engine to re-establish abs is far from ideal. As you say, there's a get-around while still in motion but even so...

Maybe I shouldn't pass comment on something I've never tried and it's probably something you'd get accustomed to with use, but having the ability to cut the abs on the fly and switch it back on without cutting the engine is something that's available on other (more expensive) models, so perhaps in time someone will delve into the technology and come up with a way to do it on the X.

I saw those sleeve ducts on the net and thought 'yet another gimmick'...having spent the best part of six weeks touring in a continental heatwave, I must say, these would have been an absolute boon....I tried to find some in the motorcycle shops in france but no joy.

In the peak heat, I'd ride for an hour, buy a litre bottle of water, drink half, pour a quarter down my back and the other quarter inside my helmet! Classic case of wrong riding gear for the circumstances...Mesh jacket and decent over jacket next time :018:

so big tick for the motech pegs then?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:05:47 PM by Jonathan »

Offline CaptainCranky

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Goonellabah
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »
Thanks Jonathan  :821:
I'm ashamed to say I think it's cold if it dips below 20C (ashamed as I lived in Belfast & London for the first 26 years of life...)
The Ventz work really well, I think you can only get them from the US there, here my usual riding partner MrAusadventure is the local seller :)
Heat is a big problem here and you really gotta stay hydrated and wear the armoured air jackets. I'm personally ATGATT and if it goes much above 35C (often does) I ride hour at a time max before resting and hydrating, even if on a full day ride.
The Motech pegs are excellent. Lower is definitely better when standing, both for the bar reach (I'm 6'5" and have 2" risers as well) and for changing gear and braking. They have great grip too - the Honda ones felt like trying to balance on 2 wet jelly fish  :001:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 12:18:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainCranky [+]
Thanks Jonathan  :821:
I'm ashamed to say I think it's cold if it dips below 20C (ashamed as I lived in Belfast & London for the first 26 years of life...)
The Ventz work really well, I think you can only get them from the US there, here my usual riding partner MrAusadventure is the local seller :)
Heat is a big problem here and you really gotta stay hydrated and wear the armoured air jackets. I'm personally ATGATT and if it goes much above 35C (often does) I ride hour at a time max before resting and hydrating, even if on a full day ride.
The Motech pegs are excellent. Lower is definitely better when standing, both for the bar reach (I'm 6'5" and have 2" risers as well) and for changing gear and braking. They have great grip too - the Honda ones felt like trying to balance on 2 wet jelly fish  :001:

I was trying to place your accent during the video. I had you pegged closer to Derry...my apologies! Best boozer in Ireland has to be The Crown.
I lived in County Clare for a while, Ennis initially, then moved down to the coast near Lahinch, where the surfers drive Landrovers. It's a beautiful country top to bottom.

I think new pegs are top of my list. I'm not a fan of the rear brake pedal position.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage