Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi E22n/Kappa K22n panniers  (Read 364 times)

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Givi E22n/Kappa K22n panniers
« on: September 13, 2018, 10:48:27 PM »
Does anyone know what the internal dimensions are of these cases? If not would a kindly owner be able to measure one for me?

Thanks

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
  • Ride safe / Ride forever
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X white
  • City / Town: Christchurch
Re: Givi E22n/Kappa K22n panniers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 08:02:41 AM »
Just measured mine, being tapered these are rough.
internal length 420mm
height to inside of opened lip 240mm. The lid being shaped so you get additional room stacking stuff up.
width 170mm

https://photos.cb500x.com/image/fgQ4

CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 09:14:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Harry [+]
Just measured mine, being tapered these are rough.
internal length 420mm
height to inside of opened lip 240mm. The lid being shaped so you get additional room stacking stuff up.
width 170mm

https://photos.cb500x.com/image/fgQ4

Excellent. Thank you very much Harry.

Are you happy with yours? Any issues? I'd like the fancy aluminium bags but these are so much cheaper and probably all that I need.

Offline Chainlink

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deepest Wessex
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 01:13:39 PM »
Hi Mr Paul,

I've use E22s on my bike. Like you, I fancied larger aluminium cases but didn't like the price. These work OK for me. Like a rucksack, the larger they are the more stuff you are tempted to cram in and the heavier it all gets. I've used the bike for weekend camping trips and these have worked well, although I've carried the tent and sleeping bag etc in a roll bag strapped to the back seat and had the smaller and heavier things in the panniers. I've also got a Givi 40 litre top box which just has the usual day to day security stuff, puncture repair kit and tools etc as I tend to leave it empty to stow the helmet when off the bike. During the week the panniers only go on if I get caught for shopping on the way home from work; they'll swallow an impressive amount of groceries!

Offline Mister Paul

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 01:18:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chainlink [+]
Hi Mr Paul,

I've use E22s on my bike. Like you, I fancied larger aluminium cases but didn't like the price. These work OK for me. Like a rucksack, the larger they are the more stuff you are tempted to cram in and the heavier it all gets. I've used the bike for weekend camping trips and these have worked well, although I've carried the tent and sleeping bag etc in a roll bag strapped to the back seat and had the smaller and heavier things in the panniers. I've also got a Givi 40 litre top box which just has the usual day to day security stuff, puncture repair kit and tools etc as I tend to leave it empty to stow the helmet when off the bike. During the week the panniers only go on if I get caught for shopping on the way home from work; they'll swallow an impressive amount of groceries!

Thanks, that's pretty much what I wanted to hear. I've got a 46l Kappa top box on order so I think with this and the E22s I'll be set.

Did either of you get the e22s new? I know that some Givi panniers come with a spare lock barrel so that you can match the key with a top box. Sportsbikeshop say that these don't come with the extra barrel. Can you remember whether this was the case?

Offline Chainlink

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deepest Wessex
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
I bought mine new from the dealer when I bought the X (s/h, ten months old). I certainly wasn't offered that choice, I'd have taken it as it would have cut down the number of keys that get in the way!

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mister Paul [+]
Excellent. Thank you very much Harry.

Are you happy with yours? Any issues? I'd like the fancy aluminium bags but these are so much cheaper and probably all that I need.

They are perfect for my use
I commute daily to work so the right case has wet weather pants, tyre repair stuff, tie downs etc and is only half full. The left case has my lunch and spare gloves in it so it's almost empty.
I have on occasion put my full armoured overpants in the left box and it's still not full.
Being top loading I've found them 100% waterproof and even if I've forgotten to lock the lid, nothing falls out.
Simply great value and IMO just the perfect size for our bikes.
CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Offline WSJMK04

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ayr
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 09:26:03 AM »
My 2014 came with these (early dome top version) . I find them completely watertight and being top opening your gear doesn't all fall out when opened , indeed a carrier bag is a very cheap inner bag . I do think they mount far too far out from the bike and there is almost as much space inboard of the mounting rack as there is with pannier on the outside . This might mean your heel scrapes the lid on mounting up if you are not careful , not a big deal as the plastic shrugs it off . I don't think I would choose a wider box as I couldn't get aboard without mounting cowboy style with all the weight on the sidestand , which is something I am not prepared to do .

Offline Harry

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 07:41:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by WSJMK04 [+]
My 2014 came with these (early dome top version) . I find them completely watertight and being top opening your gear doesn't all fall out when opened , indeed a carrier bag is a very cheap inner bag . I do think they mount far too far out from the bike and there is almost as much space inboard of the mounting rack as there is with pannier on the outside . This might mean your heel scrapes the lid on mounting up if you are not careful , not a big deal as the plastic shrugs it off . I don't think I would choose a wider box as I couldn't get aboard without mounting cowboy style with all the weight on the sidestand , which is something I am not prepared to do .

I certainly agree that the factory mounting brackets hold the case too far away from the bike which is why I built my own so that I can have them sitting right where they are close to the bike, not obstructing the rear indicators and clear for anyone sitting on the back.
CB500XA - 2014
CBR250r - 2011
GSX250 - 2005

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Harry [+]
I certainly agree that the factory mounting brackets hold the case too far away from the bike which is why I built my own so that I can have them sitting right where they are close to the bike, not obstructing the rear indicators and clear for anyone sitting on the back.

Sounds excellent. Can you share some photos?

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage