Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Any young Cb500x owners or is it an old guys bike?  (Read 9570 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Any young Cb500x owners or is it an old guys bike?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2019, 04:51:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ridge Rider 907 [+]
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I'm 68 years old. I had not been on a bike since I wrecked one in 1973. It was a friend's bike (Yamaha 650) and I rode it like a young lunatic. It cost me the friendship, a job, months of physical pain, hospital bills, and my marriage. I stayed away from motorcycles for over four decades fearful and shamed by my earlier foolishness. But the exhilaration of riding always lurked in the back of my mind.

After a serious health scare I got a bug up my ass and decided I needed to do something life affirming and I began to consider getting a motorcycle. A friend who rides accompanied me to my local HD/BMW/Honda dealership where my ignorance of bikes became obvious. Although I had the money available, my friend wisely cautioned me to not make any decisions until I had researched the motorcycle market. So I spent a week or so looking at bike manufacturer websites, reading online magazines and blogs, and googling a lot of images of motorcycles. When I went back to the dealership I was determined to put earnest money down on a Honda CB500X I assumed I would have to order for later delivery. As it happened, there was a new model year 2016 sitting in storage gathering dust since it had arrived at the dealer's almost two years earlier. Understand this dealership sells a lot of Harleys and Beamers and not a few Hondas but for whatever reason, they had not been able to move the X. They were happy to get rid of it and I got what amounted to a nearly $1000 break which included a waiver of the destination charge, a manufacturer's discount, payment of my registration and $250 worth of shop time (engine guard and Barkbusters installation, and my 600 mile break-in oil change and check up). I then had to go get my license. Having not ridden in 45 years since the earlier disaster on my friend's Yammie, I have to confess I had some trepidation but the MSF course went well and I got my license.

What a revelation/inspiration my Sleek Black Beauty has become! I feel like I've been re-born @ 68 years old. After thinking my life might be coming to an end during my health scare, my life has been affirmed, and old demons banished. I ride a lot more prudently than when I was younger, of course, but this bike is easy to have fun on at sensible speeds. I love my "X" and plan to have fun with it until...I leave it to my step son a decade or two from now as I know it will still be running strong!

You're never too old to rock n roll....Glad you're back in the saddle. Without wishing to sound too philosophical, there's a mindset and an emotional response you get from riding a motorcycle, that you don't find elsewhere, whether that's the joy of just being there, pootling along on a glorious stretch of open road, or the 'zen' of being totally focused and 'in the zone' if you're pushing on a bit. Sure it's not always a barrel of laughs, but if you can pick and choose the times and places you ride, it's a great way to enrichen your lifestyle

Offline RedLeader1

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
  • City / Town: Blackpool
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2019, 06:35:11 PM »
Hi Jonathan I got my bike just before my 66th birthday last year after a 35 year break and I am enjoying every moment on the bike . The problem I've noticed amongst some car drivers is they have to get passed you at all costs even if you're sticking to the speed limit and there isn't the gap to overtake ( I thought only cyclists experience this ) another is not only the use of mobile phones but the fiddling with the infotainment screens something one can see fairly easily when on the bike
Anyway that's my little moan out of the way enjoy many years riding your bike and that goes to everyone on the forum .

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2019, 07:46:11 PM »
Ridge rider,
You sure picked a bike to ride viciously on. The feared XS650 was truly aweful handling. Looked awesome ( a word not yet in use at the time) but handles like wet spagetti. The called it "The Hinge" because that's what it felt like to ride. EVERY xs650 rider I knew had an accident on it. Even the triple Kwaka 2 strokes weren't as aweful ( though pretty close). The pity was, it had a VERY good ( if vibratey) motor. Copy of the Triumphs but way better execution ( sorry bad choice of word). Ask the milers.
The X will be a case of ridiculous, to  a bike that will keep you upright despite atrocious suspension. We have come a long way. It's hard not to like the X.
If you want to try a modern 650 twin that will be fun to ride the MT07. It really show how far we have come and it's a "COMMUTER".  It is just glorious ( again especially with upgraded suspension). It's my other bike.

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2019, 02:26:14 AM »
Inspired by your story. Thanks.

I bought my 2014X new @ 50. 5th winter commuting and 40,000 miles later, I wonder what my alternate universe self is doing having no X. I can't imagine.

Good move on your part getting back to it.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by RedLeader1 [+]
Hi Jonathan I got my bike just before my 66th birthday last year after a 35 year break and I am enjoying every moment on the bike . The problem I've noticed amongst some car drivers is they have to get passed you at all costs even if you're sticking to the speed limit and there isn't the gap to overtake ( I thought only cyclists experience this ) another is not only the use of mobile phones but the fiddling with the infotainment screens something one can see fairly easily when on the bike
Anyway that's my little moan out of the way enjoy many years riding your bike and that goes to everyone on the forum .

I teach children and adults how to cycle on the road on behalf of the DfT; a bit like the 'cycling proficiency' of old but much more advanced....I don't think a day goes by without some numpty making a daft decision. I've had a driver in a fully loaded flat bed scaffold truck pull alongside (with six 10 year old kids riding directly behind me ) as we're passing parked cars on a narrow road, lean over to wind his passenger side window down and shout "What you're doing is F...in' dangerous"...I didn't let on so he carried on shouting, all the while looking at me, rather than the oncoming coach......I guess he didn't see the irony  :125:

Driver psychology is a funny old thing....shame it can have such tragic consequences
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:58:16 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Smudger

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB5X. XSR900.
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2019, 10:13:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I teach children and adults how to cycle on the road on behalf of the DfT; a bit like the 'cycling proficiency' of old but much more advanced....I don't think a day goes by without some numpty making a daft decision. I've had a driver in a fully loaded flat bed scaffold truck pull alongside (with six 10 year old kids riding directly behind me ) as we're passing parked cars on a narrow road, lean over to wind his passenger side window down and shout "What you're doing is F...in' dangerous"...I didn't let on so he carried on shouting, all the while looking at me, rather than the oncoming coach......I guess he didn't see the irony  :125:

Driver psychology is a funny old thing....shame it can have such tragic consequences

I've been a cyclist even longer than i've been a motorcyclist. It gets worse and worse being on a push bike these days, drivers just treat you as bottom of the food chain.
I feel far safer on a my motorcycles, mainly because i'm not being constantly overtaken by drivers that couldn't give a flying **** about cyclists.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2019, 10:57:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Smudger [+]
I've been a cyclist even longer than i've been a motorcyclist. It gets worse and worse being on a push bike these days, drivers just treat you as bottom of the food chain.
I feel far safer on a my motorcycles, mainly because i'm not being constantly overtaken by drivers that couldn't give a flying **** about cyclists.

True, but some cyclists don't do themselves any favours either. They did some research in the states a while back; rigged some cameras to the bike front, side and back then did circuits along specific routes. They measured the approach speed, passing distance etc. The rider was dressed in full lycra, helmet, gloves, expensive oakleys, the full trip.....Then they did the exact same circuits, same time of day; this time the same rider was disguised a woman, blonde wig, flowery dress...rode exactly as before. Guess what? Drivers' Approach speed dropped on average around 10 mph, passing distance increase by half a metre or so....

So the moral of the story is, if you're cycling, and want to reduce your chances of being hassled by drivers, don't wear a helmet....wear a blonde wig :745:

lots of muppets on the road, regardless of the mode of transport
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:59:10 PM by Jonathan »

Online CodeSlow

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Lockport, IL
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2019, 08:26:51 PM »
27 here. Had my "M" license since 17.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:27:32 PM by CodeSlow »

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »
45 this year. Started riding when I was 10, but only got my unlimitied street licence at 26 - together with the racing licence.
Not racing anymore since I got kids, but can't give up riding - even though the missus tried to get that sorted.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2019, 12:01:51 AM »
41 started riding when I was 5.

Recent Topics