Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shinko 705's Or Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline bitdist

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ringwood North
Re: Shinko 705's Or Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 01:48:12 AM »
How about the Michelin adventure?
Similar tread pattern and dual compound with Silica

Offline zereplim

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500x 2017
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 05:09:34 PM »
Any thoughts on the Avon Trailrider and Trekrider? I've been thinking on some trailrider for my "offroad touring" needs.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 09:00:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by zereplim [+]
Any thoughts on the Avon Trailrider and Trekrider? I've been thinking on some trailrider for my "offroad touring" needs.
There is a thread on Avon Trailriders that may be helpful for you.  It was started long ago, but there recent posts in it...

Avon Trailriders Thread on this forum

Also, Avon doesn't offer Trekriders in our sizes; I looked at them recently while trying to determine the best tire for my riding style.

Avon Trekriders

Avon Trailriders

After much research, I decided to stay with the Trailriders.  The Michelins (PR5's and PR4's I think) are similarly constructed using multiple compounds, but I had already worn out one Trailrider on the rear and was very please with the performance, wet and dry!  They are as smooth as glass on the pavement and stick like glue, rain or shine.  The only time I've felt one slip was one morning in North Dakota; I entered a curve too hot, in the rain, and on the yellow line.  I felt the rear slip across the yellow line and then stick as soon as it hit asphalt again.  Of course I puckered a little!  And, realized I may be riding beyond my skills!  But, it was raining and only about 43 F and we had a long ways to ride to get out of the rain, so we were riding harder than we should have been in the rain.

I don't get the mileage I see reported herein, but I think my riding style is to blame; I ride a lot of high speed, straight-line, boring miles.  I get about 6-7K out of my rears and 11K miles out of my fronts.  My gas mileage also reflects my riding style, 55 fuel ups on Fuelly with 54 averege mpg!

I don't ride much off road , an occasional gravel road is about all, so I can't attest to the Trailriders grip on soft stuff, but the tread pattern and depth looks fairly aggressive compared to anything but knobbies.

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Recent Topics