Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Howdy from Henderson, TX  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 CB500X
  • City / Town: Henderson, TX
Re: Howdy from Henderson, TX
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 02:53:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Welcome. What made ya want to get back in the saddle after all that time?
My 45 year old son wants someone to ride with.  He wants to ride lots of places around the country.
I made my inaugural run this past Friday evening; made an 85 mile round trip.  A couple of mistakes with no ramifications :034:.  Also, two dogs chased us and had to brake hard for three deer crossing in front of us :114: But had lots of fun :152:

1971-1973: '67 CL77 (305 Scrambler), Sold, because my wife said to...
2018: '14 CB500X, The dream bike of my youth!  Thanks, Son

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 03:04:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aggie95 [+]
Also, two dogs chased us and had to brake hard for three deer crossing in front of us :114: But had lots of fun :152:

I saw a couple of deer and a couple of turkeys on my ride today. Tis the season to be extra careful.

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 03:12:24 AM »
Welcome. Why the X vs something else? I think we know, but like hearing it again.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 03:30:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
Welcome. Why the X vs something else? I think we know, but like hearing it again.
My old 305 Scrambler had too little horsepower!!  I seized the pistons twice trying to keep up with my friends 360 Suzuki.  I always thought the perfect bike was the newer Honda 450 twin until the 350 four cylinder came out. 
But, that was long ago.  When my son told me to pick a bike, I started looking for something close to the old 450 and found the CB500X; seemed like the perfect bike to me!  I'm kinda short in the crotch and the X was the perfect height, plenty of power, not so heavy and its a Honda! 
We found a really nice '14 in Kentucky with very low miles and dressed out nicely.  My son trailered it back home to me, and he rode it a few times over the past several days.  He's almost ready to swap his new 800 Beamer for an X!

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 04:10:31 AM »
My 45 year old son wants someone to ride with.  He wants to ride lots of places around the country.
I made my inaugural run this past Friday evening; made an 85 mile round trip.  A couple of mistakes with no ramifications :034:.  Also, two dogs chased us and had to brake hard for three deer crossing in front of us :114: But had lots of fun :152:

That's great. Enjoy the time together. I rode with my dad for a little while while I was still living in the USA. I really miss it. Enjoy the ride!

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2018, 02:09:30 AM »
Good son. Great story. Thanks.

Offline Aggie95

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 07:30:03 PM »
To expand on how I chose the X;
In the old days, I rode a few 350 Twins.  The 350's had a lot more power than my 305 Scrambler; plenty for a single rider with no windscreen, or luggage , etc.  A great bike for play, but not much for touring!  Of course, we used to chop them slightly  :029:; made them look really cool, didn't handle any better  :018: I made several long rides on my 305; mostly day trips into the Sierra Nevadas (California), often with my girlfriend (wife) behind me  :015: and a sleeping bag tied to the forks :152:.  Had a lot of fun, but the lack of power was abundantly obvious :018:
I don't remember when or why I sold the 305, but I'm sure I did so to pay some bill :023:. I do remember keeping the bike in our spare bedroom for a  while  :015:  I've been longing for a bike ever since...

Then my son offered to buy me the bike of my choice :046: Wow!

I started looking with a few requirements firmly in mind.  First, it has to have enough power to cruise , with luggage and gear, and a windscreen :002:, but I don't want a real cruiser, they're just too heavy for me!  Second, it has to be at least a twin cylinder so my feet don't vibrate to sleep on long rides.  A quad would be awesome, but it seams one has to get really heavy these days to get a quad cylinder.  I want to sit upright; I'm too old to lean forward for long periods of time.  It also has to be light enough to be agile; I want to ride dirt roads and trails, when the opportunity presents.  My crotch is close to the ground, so I need a seat height about 32 inches. 

The quality of the Japanese bikes is superb  :169:, and has been for decades (I am an engineer and was a mechanic for decades also).  And, I prefer Honda to the rest.  But, I looked at all the manufacturers offerings  :035:  I found exactly what I want in the CB500X; it seams the perfect bike for me; and pretty also!! (I liked the '14 most, '17 next).

My son and I scoured the internet for the perfect deal and found a very lightly used '14 in Kentucky.  The previous owner had taken very good care of his bike and had dressed it out with almost everything I will want on my bike. 

My son trailered the bike back to me in Texas and I have put a couple hundred miles on, so far :305:

Tomorrow, I am hauling my X to northern Arkansas to meet up with my son at my parents home.  We are going to spend a few days riding the Ozarks.  He is riding an F800GS Beamer, but he has ridden mine a few times and is seriously considering swapping his Beamer for an X :138:

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
The bike looks great.  Have fun in the hills and post some pics when you are done!  It's getting to be winter here, and soon most of my riding fun will be vicarious  :190:

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 01:53:08 AM »
To expand on how I chose the X;
In the old days, I rode a few 350 Twins.  The 350's had a lot more power than my 305 Scrambler; plenty for a single rider with no windscreen, or luggage , etc.  A great bike for play, but not much for touring!  Of course, we used to chop them slightly  :029:; made them look really cool, didn't handle any better  :018: I made several long rides on my 305; mostly day trips into the Sierra Nevadas (California), often with my girlfriend (wife) behind me  :015: and a sleeping bag tied to the forks :152:.  Had a lot of fun, but the lack of power was abundantly obvious :018:
I don't remember when or why I sold the 305, but I'm sure I did so to pay some bill :023:. I do remember keeping the bike in our spare bedroom for a  while  :015:  I've been longing for a bike ever since...

Then my son offered to buy me the bike of my choice :046: Wow!

I started looking with a few requirements firmly in mind.  First, it has to have enough power to cruise , with luggage and gear, and a windscreen :002:, but I don't want a real cruiser, they're just too heavy for me!  Second, it has to be at least a twin cylinder so my feet don't vibrate to sleep on long rides.  A quad would be awesome, but it seams one has to get really heavy these days to get a quad cylinder.  I want to sit upright; I'm too old to lean forward for long periods of time.  It also has to be light enough to be agile; I want to ride dirt roads and trails, when the opportunity presents.  My crotch is close to the ground, so I need a seat height about 32 inches. 

The quality of the Japanese bikes is superb  :169:, and has been for decades (I am an engineer and was a mechanic for decades also).  And, I prefer Honda to the rest.  But, I looked at all the manufacturers offerings  :035:  I found exactly what I want in the CB500X; it seams the perfect bike for me; and pretty also!! (I liked the '14 most, '17 next).

My son and I scoured the internet for the perfect deal and found a very lightly used '14 in Kentucky.  The previous owner had taken very good care of his bike and had dressed it out with almost everything I will want on my bike. 

My son trailered the bike back to me in Texas and I have put a couple hundred miles on, so far :305:

Tomorrow, I am hauling my X to northern Arkansas to meet up with my son at my parents home.  We are going to spend a few days riding the Ozarks.  He is riding an F800GS Beamer, but he has ridden mine a few times and is seriously considering swapping his Beamer for an X :138:

Great reason to come back after all of this time. Agree with you about the joy of having two cylinders vs one. I think you made the right choice.

Your son will have to join the forum once he finally comes to his senses and gets a CB.  :008:

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 02:20:53 AM »
I'm partial to the '14 color scheme already, but wow, the red rims just set it off nicely.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage