Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Diagnostic tool?  (Read 707 times)

Offline uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Diagnostic tool?
« on: November 05, 2018, 06:32:37 PM »
Does anyone have a view about value of diagnostic tools that plug into the bike and report any emerging issues?

What type of problems do they detect? If they're any good, is there one you'd recommend?

I'm wondering whether there's any value in having one of these to be able to identify issues early and not rely on the shop mechanic thinking to plug one in every 24,000km when the valves are checked (plus, I'm thinking about giving that job a stab myself). It might be worthwhile plugging one in at home every now and then to check how things are going.

However, I'm unsure about what they're able to pick up. Perhaps issues with compression....
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:34:02 PM by uku383 »
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: Diagnostic tool?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:06:34 PM »
I haven't seen anything. The codes can be read by following the procedure outlined in the Honda service manual. I think it's been posted either here or on ADVrider. There are only a few sensors that the PGM-FI unit reads. Our bikes really do have a simple FI system.

Offline mtodd

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500X
  • City / Town: Adelaide, AU
Re: Diagnostic tool?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 11:00:24 AM »
Im also keen to know more about the diagnostic tool. Eagerly awaiting some more responses.
New rider, social worker, musician

Recent Topics