Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2013 stock shock sag recommendations  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: SW Washington
2013 stock shock sag recommendations
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:48:29 PM »
I guess this might differ on one's application (on vs off road), but I'm having trouble finding what Honda recommends as default road recommendations for rear shock sag. I've seen other brands provide recommendations, but the manual I was able to find for my bike (used 2013, didn't get the manual) only mentions how to change it, not how to set it. Is one really expected to go by feel? I'm relatively heavy and am also a new rider, so I'd prefer to set it right before I run into an issue. How do people go about finding what's right? It's currently set up in the default setting (dot right over the mounting bolt, 3), but being well above average in the gravitational department makes me wonder if I would improve things by adjusting it.

Offline HerrDeacon

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 stock shock sag recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 12:42:09 AM »
Here is a good video describing the process and the general settings.

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »
Thanks for the video, I remember seeing that a long time ago. :) So basically go by "a quarter to a third" sag and that's it?

Online catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
Thanks for the video, I remember seeing that a long time ago. :) So basically go by "a quarter to a third" sag and that's it?

Yes (that's the quick answer) - if you need more encouragement and some measurements from other bikes - a search for 'sag settings' on here will produce results.  :158:

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 07:53:32 PM »
Towards a quarter for on road and towards a third for off road. The problem is that the x spring and damping is soft, so going to where you think it should be for off road, will blow through the travel, as soon as shock speed ( not vehicle speed) gets high. Bottoming is bad for shocks and suspension mounts. Like taking a hamer to them.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:54:21 PM by gregjet »

Offline Hillie

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 05:17:25 AM »
Thanks! I think I'll stick closer to a quarter, if possible. I'm fairly heavy and I don't take it off-road anyway. In all honesty, I'm on the cb500x because I found an amazing deal, the whole adventure bike thing is not really for me, but this is a great bike to ride (it's my first) and I've been getting a lot better and confident on the road on it. Haven't had the suspension bottom out, but I'm probably sagging it a little more than I should now.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 02:14:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hillie [+]
Thanks! I think I'll stick closer to a quarter, if possible. I'm fairly heavy and I don't take it off-road anyway. In all honesty, I'm on the cb500x because I found an amazing deal, the whole adventure bike thing is not really for me, but this is a great bike to ride (it's my first) and I've been getting a lot better and confident on the road on it. Haven't had the suspension bottom out, but I'm probably sagging it a little more than I should now.

Take some weekend overnight trips on the bike and some longer rides. The whole ADV thing will make a lot more sense.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage