Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front sprocket  (Read 680 times)

Offline Kingo

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
Front sprocket
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:24:26 PM »
Anyone changed front sprocket to higher gearing.  If so what was the result?

Offline racer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: Front sprocket
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 06:29:10 PM »
I just changed mine to a JT 16 tooth with the rubber cush disks.  Love it.  It now has 6 usuable gears in stead of five.  Best twenty bucks you can spend on the bike.  The stock first gear is too low for general use.  I am liking it.   Racer

Offline Kingo

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 06:33:28 PM »
Many thanks for prompt reply.  Will try this.

Offline baldeagle

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Ferreria
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 08:09:31 PM »
I did exactly the same as said but just used a steel 16 tooth,seems fine and a really good cheap mod.
Still occasionally looking for 7th gear but nowhere near as often.
Present bikes,MZes/250/2 Trophy ,CB500X and a Sym Cruisym 300 Maxi scooter plus a Suzuki Address 125.

Offline jronmorgan

• CB500X Member
  • Yo mama..
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Falls Church VA
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 09:59:21 PM »
lol.. about to put a 14 on mine... See how that goes..  I do extremely little freeway riding so I'm almost never above 70 or so and I was more pull on the gravel and trails (rally raiding my bike)..
I came, I saw, I shat myself..

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 11:02:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by jronmorgan [+]
lol.. about to put a 14 on mine... See how that goes..  I do extremely little freeway riding so I'm almost never above 70 or so and I was more pull on the gravel and trails (rally raiding my bike)..

It'll cost more for sure, but you may want to think about going larger on the rear, rather than too small on the countershaft...a smaller front sprocket is tougher on the chain...Can't speak from personal experience with the X but it's worth asking around

Offline racer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 02:43:52 AM »
I agree, don't go smaller what ever you do.  Racer

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 02:55:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by jronmorgan [+]

Hi jronmorgan - you'll be fine with a 14T sprocket - as you say, you don't intend to do a lot of higher speed riding on this bike, so the tighter chain angle around a smaller front sprocket is not going to noticeably increase wear.

Plenty of dirt/dual-sport bikes use a 14T front for the same reasons you cite - and the benefit of a smaller countershaft sprocket (vs adding teeth to the rear) is that the it takes less torque to spin up the front sprocket too, so it will feel more responsive at lower revs.

Personally I find the stock gearing the ideal compromise between off-road and higher speed on-road riding - but if anyone has a bias in either direction, a countershaft sprocket change of 1 tooth either up or down is a very easy way to experiment. for info. as has been noted in a similar discussion elsewhere on this forum, you are looking at around a 500rpm difference in top gear at 70mph with a 1T change to the front sprocket - ie. 16T will drop the rpm by 500, and 14T will raise it a similar amount.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 01:58:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Hi jronmorgan - you'll be fine with a 14T sprocket - as you say, you don't intend to do a lot of higher speed riding on this bike, so the tighter chain angle around a smaller front sprocket is not going to noticeably increase wear.

Plenty of dirt/dual-sport bikes use a 14T front for the same reasons you cite - and the benefit of a smaller countershaft sprocket (vs adding teeth to the rear) is that the it takes less torque to spin up the front sprocket too, so it will feel more responsive at lower revs.

Personally I find the stock gearing the ideal compromise between off-road and higher speed on-road riding - but if anyone has a bias in either direction, a countershaft sprocket change of 1 tooth either up or down is a very easy way to experiment. for info. as has been noted in a similar discussion elsewhere on this forum, you are looking at around a 500rpm difference in top gear at 70mph with a 1T change to the front sprocket - ie. 16T will drop the rpm by 500, and 14T will raise it a similar amount.

Jx

the wear issue is a moot point as a smaller front sprocket will definitely increase wear, especially if you're primarily riding in dirty, dusty conditions, but then C & Ss are consumables anyway

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage