Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 65702 times)

Offline CaptainBart45

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Blythe
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2019, 07:44:31 AM »
I am leaning towards the versys 300, talk me out of it?

Offline skidooboy

• CB500X Member
  • Where does that trail go?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: L4 Kordylewski
« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2019, 04:05:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainBart45 [+]
I am leaning towards the versys 300, talk me out of it?

I was looking at the VX300 too....It's a great looking bike.A lot of people doing amazing things on that bike.

I'm a big fat guy and just don't think the VX has enough grunt to haul my fat ass around. so after looking at the old dinosaurs(KLR 650), the bigger more expensive, more expensive to insure, ADV bikes, I chose the Honda. the extra HP and Torque of the CB500x while still fitting in that  under 500cc category was the selling point....well that and the fact that the VX needs 2 gears and hitting 13,000 revs just to get across an intersection....

But I wouldn't talk you out of it, a lot of people having a lot of fun on that machine... so I'd suggest you take both for a test ride and see which feels better.

Go Jets Go!!!

Offline lesmeister

• CB500X Member
  • Ride Often & Ride Safe
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: West Columbia,SC
« Reply #262 on: February 03, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »
Sunday, February 3, 2019 > Tested a VX300, and @ 200 pounds (90K)+- , it just doesn't have the Oomph to do the job as an all round bike for the type of riding done the southeast US, especially if it is your only bike.  Not a fan of larger ADV bikes, but do think a 500 to 750CC engine size makes more sense, particularly if the total wet weight can be kept under 400 pounds (180K).  You Get More Fun Factor With Less Weight.

OK, got some info and new questions.

Recently talked with a local Honda dealer about when he expected to have a price and a for sale delivery date on the 2019 CB500X.  He contacted his district sales rep and was told not to look for them until late summer or early fall.  This is much later than reported at the time of release in Italy, December 2018-January 2019 for the price/delivery schedule info, and expected to be at dealers in the spring of 2019.

Deliveries of 2019 bikes to US dealers in the late summer/early fall would seem to be counterproductive for sales in the current calendar year.  The US Honda site still does not show a Build & Price for several of their ADV bikes.  This does not bode well for a spring release of these bikes.

Read that dealers in Canada should have their bikes in March of 2019.  Are deliveries and sales being made in other countries that have exceeded the projected numbers, and that is causing the late availability in the US?  Havent seen any reports, riding reviews and/or comparison tests to indicate the bike has been delivered anywhere.

Wonder what is delaying the US price/release info, and why so little info about aftermarket product availably has been posted on the NET?  Seems to me that no news, good or bad, is ultimately bad news for the release of a new product.
 hpd (herr professor doctor) lesmeister

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #263 on: February 03, 2019, 05:33:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainBart45 [+]
A motor guard protecting the exhaust in front is going to deflect heat back at the engine?

Hi Capt' - the main problem, as it is with the current bikes - is there is very little room in front of the header pipes (once the suspension compresses and the wheel moves up and backwards) for an engine guard to enclose the headers anyway...

In practice, the headers on the current model are not really susceptible to damage anyway - unless you misjudged a log crossing perhaps - and there are plenty of bikes that have been used hard off-road (mine included, you may have seen the Rubicon video) with no damage to the headers... basically that part of the bike is up and over anything before the headers have a chance to touch, it's far more likely that the underbelly (sump) is going to take the brunt of any impact.

for info. the Rally-Raid engine guard [as fitted to my bike] has an alloy shield behind the headers to protect the oil filter and front of the engine cases from debris, which is far more essential than the potential odd ding in the header.

With regard to your original question - yes, a fully enclosed [ie. unvented] engine guard can restrict the [cooling] airflow around the lower engine cases (potentially raising the oil temperature a few degrees in the sump) and this could well be exacerbated if the headers were also contained within those confines too - although as long as the rear of the guard/shield was open, any residual heat would still be able to escape either side of the crank cases...

Personally I wouldn't worry about the headers, even though the [revised shape of them] does look a little more vulnerable on the 2019-bikes than before perhaps...

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline CaptainBart45

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Blythe
« Reply #264 on: February 04, 2019, 02:34:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
Hi Capt' - the main problem, as it is with the current bikes - is there is very little room in front of the header pipes (once the suspension compresses and the wheel moves up and backwards) for an engine guard to enclose the headers anyway...

In practice, the headers on the current model are not really susceptible to damage anyway - unless you misjudged a log crossing perhaps - and there are plenty of bikes that have been used hard off-road (mine included, you may have seen the Rubicon video) with no damage to the headers... basically that part of the bike is up and over anything before the headers have a chance to touch, it's far more likely that the underbelly (sump) is going to take the brunt of any impact.

for info. the Rally-Raid engine guard [as fitted to my bike] has an alloy shield behind the headers to protect the oil filter and front of the engine cases from debris, which is far more essential than the potential odd ding in the header.

With regard to your original question - yes, a fully enclosed [ie. unvented] engine guard can restrict the [cooling] airflow around the lower engine cases (potentially raising the oil temperature a few degrees in the sump) and this could well be exacerbated if the headers were also contained within those confines too - although as long as the rear of the guard/shield was open, any residual heat would still be able to escape either side of the crank cases...

Personally I wouldn't worry about the headers, even though the [revised shape of them] does look a little more vulnerable on the 2019-bikes than before perhaps...

Thanks! That was a great video. That was the 500x being pushed to the extreme limits for sure. Just about all my questions answered. This bike does seem to be capable on both the desert trails and backroads of Arizona.

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • Let's Ride Enjoying the outdoors aboard the CBX
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #265 on: February 04, 2019, 04:31:46 PM »
I enjoyed the video, Great job Jenny showing it can be a tuff little bike. Great riding by the way

Offline ksmoker2

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 05, 2019, 01:50:41 AM »
Just heard ordering will be available in March for May delivery here in the US

Offline Revoflyer

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Oro Valley
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2019, 02:15:56 AM »
Ok - pretty decent speed. About 25 km/hr faster than the last guy who tried .....  :152:

Offline skidooboy

• CB500X Member
  • Where does that trail go?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: L4 Kordylewski
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2019, 05:26:10 AM »
Press embargo ended today I guess? just found a review.

http://www.tuttosport.com/news/motori/due-ruote/prove/2019/02/15-53366182/honda_cb500x_2019_la_prova_su_strada/?cookieAccept

google translate says it's an "elusive ferret" so that's good.....I think....... :033:

Honda CB500X 2019, the road test
We have tested the new version of the Japanese crossover on the enthralling routes of the island of Tenerife. Here's how it goes ...

TENERIFE - It has an X printed on tank and is proposed as an easy two-cylinder, made with care, perfect for those who have obtained the A2 license and want to adventure; without neglecting all those who (even with a certain experience of motorcycling behind them) are looking for a practical, day-by-day, economical and fun way. Now in its third generation, Honda CB500X is renewed but does not distort the goodness of a proven and successful project in sales data. We flew to Tenerife, the island of eternal spring, to test it on routes, asphalted or not, that draw spirals, to the conquest of the imposing Teide, with its 3,718 meters, one of the highest volcanoes in the world.

ON THE FRONT OF DESIGN, perhaps it will not have the daring charm of an Africa Twin, but the reference to the globetrotter of Casa does not lack, with captivating lines, as a globetrotter, characterized by a balance between solidity and dynamism. Overall, a well-proportioned vehicle, able to "dress" riders of all sizes without giving the impression of an "entry level".

AS REGARDS THE TECHNIQUE, the most important innovation is certainly the arrival of the 19 '' front wheel, which is accompanied by the choice to install suspensions of greater excursion to facilitate the off-road driving. The 41 mm telescopic fork, adjustable in the spring preload, has an increased stroke compared to the previous model (+10 mm) and is now equal to 150 mm. Also increased the rear travel (+17 mm), which goes from 118 to 135 mm. As far as tire size is concerned, behind it is confirmed 160/60-R17 while front becomes now 110/80-R19: the original equipment tires are the Dunlop Trailmax Mixtour with slotted on / off.

THE ENGINE, a two-cylinder parallel liquid cooled 8 valve, was revised to increase the torque and power values ​​between 3,000 and 7,000 rpm, while remaining equal the maximum power of 48 HP (35 kW), to allow the driving with the A2 license. The tank now has a capacity of 17.5 liters and, according to the declared consumption figures of 28.6 km / l (average WMTC cycle), the autonomy reaches almost 500 km (495 to be exact).

TO MAXIMIZE THE COMFORT OF MARCIA, the aerodynamics has also been updated to make the air flow better around the fairing and the windscreen. Furthermore, the saddle profile is now slimmer, thanks to a more rounded shape that allows you to place your feet on the ground with greater ease.

THE NEW LCD INSTRUMENTATION includes the gear indicator on and the new Shift-Up shift indicator, set at 8,750 rpm but adjustable between 5,000 and 8,750 rpm. The tubular support bracket for the windscreen makes it possible to easily mount the navigation system in front of the pilot.

ROAD TEST - An entry level bike, the CB500X, which does not lack personality. Practice in everyday use, good qualities as a passista, but also unexpectedly fun on an all-curved path, where, with a bit of "handle" he can pull out his nails. The driving position is comfortable, just like you expect on a crossover, while the fairing also protects well at highway speeds. Green light also to travel in pairs, thanks to the good portion of saddle reserved for the passenger. But if these are all-out characteristics expected, given the type of vehicle, where the CB500X leaves pleasantly surprised, it is precisely where you least expect it: dynamic performance on the most guided routes and easy off-road excursions.

PUSHING STRONG on a beautiful route, you have fun, and not a little, without too much effort. The two-cylinder, although the horses available are not those of a superbike, you can be scrambled with generosity, stretching between one curve and the other, well supported by the change always fluid and precise. The braking is convincing, despite the single front disc, and the suspension is fine. In the tight mix, the Honda crossover, thanks to the driving position and the excellent lever offered by the handlebars, turns into an elusive ferret. And only on sloping uphill slopes would you want to have a bit of "engine" more out of the corner (probably, in the 650 version and with a few more horsepower, this bike would make the joy of so many devourers of steps) .

IN OFFROAD, compared to the previous model, we clearly notice the effort of the Japanese House to increase the "adventure" factor of the CB500X. On a path of medium difficulty, such as that faced during the test, you stand up on the platforms without problems. In short, the classic "off course panorama" is perfectly within reach.

ACCESS DOOR TO THE WORLD OF "ADVENTUROUS", in conclusion, ease and great versatility are safe

:001: :001: :001:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 05:42:12 AM by skidooboy »
Go Jets Go!!!

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2019, 08:27:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by Revoflyer [+]
Ok - pretty decent speed. About 25 km/hr faster than the last guy who tried .....  :152:

I kinda like the sound of the new exhaust. Dunno how they've managed to do that, but it has a very god sound compared to earlier models.
And that inverse LCD dash is just fab.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage