Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 80667 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #370 on: March 06, 2019, 04:17:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by blumtnman [+]
Mr Fish seems totally in love! Good on him. Every review I read or watch convinces me this is my new bike. Now if only KTMMitch/JMo can come up with a bash plate. And a few RR farkles!

You can guarantee it (sooner than most people will actually be getting their bikes I imagine)... John is working on it as we speak ;o)

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline pedruchini

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Tenerife
« Reply #371 on: March 06, 2019, 04:45:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by cbf1000 [+]
However the new model has been fundamentally flawed for me by the introduction of the 19 front wheel resulting in a deal-breaking rise in seat height to 830mm.  I bought my CB500X because it is one of the few bikes with a low enough seat height at 810mm (and lowering using Lust Racing drop links) to make the bike comfortable for me.  With the lowering and weight of the touring luggage I could get both feet flat.  The rise in seat height effectively excludes me from buying this bike.  Honda have made a fundamental marketing mistake in trying to make the bike more off road  they have effectively alienated the less tall (short) rider.  It is a mistake because I believe there are many more short riders buying the bike than those actually riding it off road.  There is an easy solution to this problem.  BMW (F70GS) and Triumph (Tiger 800 XRx Low) both offer low seat factory options why cant Honda do this?

Hi CBF1000
I've just registered to this forum to tell you that in the 2019 model the seat is 830 cm but it's SLIMMER than last year's model. I'm 172.5 cm tall (5.66ft) and i can almost get both feet flat in both bikes (2018 and 2019). After I tested the cb500x 2019 for 45 minutes I realised it was the perfect bike for me I decided to buy one.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 06, 2019, 06:30:52 PM »
I kind of agree with CBF1000 on the seat height, it's a major barrier to lots of bikes that don't actually need so much ground clearance or suspension movement. The manufacturers would be better off making bikes like the AT, Tenere, 850GS etc lower and then the (very few!) owners that take them off road could have them raised if they need to. The fact that all these bikes will have aftermarket lowering kits available proves that a lot of people think they are too high. On the other side of things you don't see many low bikes with kits to raise them being offered!

I also bemoan the fact that the manufacturers think that only the high powered and high seated leviathans should have decent components like suspension etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be happy to pay a lot more for an X if it had the same quality suspension and equipment as an Africa Twin

I'm pretty sure the 2019 X will be my next bike with the extra height being the only downside I can see. The seat height itself isn't the problem, it's the height of the back of the bike. I've got a dodgy hip and I'm starting to find getting on tall bikes sets it off. Hence why my other options is the Triumph Street Scrambler which is nice and low.

But anyway whinge over, I'm looking forward to a test ride on the new bike and like most can't wait to see the Rally Raid options as they come available.

Offline skidooboy

• CB500X Member
  • Where does that trail go?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: L4 Kordylewski
« Reply #373 on: March 06, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by cbf1000 [+]
I think Honda are to be congratulated on the 2019 facelift to the CB500X.  They have obviously done their market research and produced a set of well-focussed improvements.  However the new model has been fundamentally flawed for me by the introduction of the 19 front wheel resulting in a deal-breaking rise in seat height to 830mm.  I bought my CB500X because it is one of the few bikes with a low enough seat height at 810mm (and lowering using Lust Racing drop links) to make the bike comfortable for me.  With the lowering and weight of the touring luggage I could get both feet flat.  The rise in seat height effectively excludes me from buying this bike.  Honda have made a fundamental marketing mistake in trying to make the bike more off road  they have effectively alienated the less tall (short) rider.  It is a mistake because I believe there are many more short riders buying the bike than those actually riding it off road.  There is an easy solution to this problem.  BMW (F70GS) and Triumph (Tiger 800 XRx Low) both offer low seat factory options why cant Honda do this?

Sounds like the X isn't thew bike you want. If your a short rider who doesn't go offroad...buy the 500F....
Go Jets Go!!!

Offline Smudger

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB5X. XSR900.
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #374 on: March 06, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »
I could whinge all day about bikes that dont fit me. Naked streetbikes seems to be getting physically smaller these days.
But its pointless to moan about them, there are so many bikes out now, in all shapes & sizes.
If a bike doesn't fit me, i just move on and look for something else.
Personally, i'm glad they made the new CB taller, it was one of the things i liked about it.

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2019, 08:59:55 PM »
To be fair on Honda, to get the 19" front wheel and only raise the bike 20mm is a good effort. The bike was obviously designed with a 17" wheel and as RR found out there was no way a 19" would fit on the standard bike without hitting the rad or down pipes. They would have had to redesign the whole geometry and frame to get the 19" and keep the same seat height.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2019, 09:21:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
To be fair on Honda, to get the 19" front wheel and only raise the bike 20mm is a good effort. The bike was obviously designed with a 17" wheel and as RR found out there was no way a 19" would fit on the standard bike without hitting the rad or down pipes. They would have had to redesign the whole geometry and frame to get the 19" and keep the same seat height.

Hi Japes - for info. the way Honda did it was to increase the fork [triple clamp] offset by 20mm and essentially lengthening the wheelbase, coupled with a stepped top triple clamp (like Rally-Raid use, but with slightly less of a step).

Primarily the increase in overall/seat height has been to give the bike a little more travel too (at the front shared pretty much equally between the larger front wheel and travel, while at the rear, it is almost all extra travel)... and in that regard, for shorter riders who want the new version (and not settle for a new-old-stock 17" front end model for example) you can expect a set of lowering links from Rally-Raid to be part of the new 2019-on range.

However, as others have said, the whole purpose of the revisions to the X model in the CB range is to make it more of an all-terrain Adventure bike, something genuinely capable and less likely to attract criticism of being a 'wannabe' than the previous version did... even though those of us who have ridden the stock/shorter travel 2013-18 model know how 'all terrain' capable it can be in the right hands of course ;o)

Jx

It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2019, 09:23:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
I kind of agree with CBF1000 on the seat height, it's a major barrier to lots of bikes that don't actually need so much ground clearance or suspension movement. The manufacturers would be better off making bikes like the AT, Tenere, 850GS etc lower and then the (very few!) owners that take them off road could have them raised if they need to. The fact that all these bikes will have aftermarket lowering kits available proves that a lot of people think they are too high. On the other side of things you don't see many low bikes with kits to raise them being offered!

I also bemoan the fact that the manufacturers think that only the high powered and high seated leviathans should have decent components like suspension etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be happy to pay a lot more for an X if it had the same quality suspension and equipment as an Africa Twin

I'm pretty sure the 2019 X will be my next bike with the extra height being the only downside I can see. The seat height itself isn't the problem, it's the height of the back of the bike. I've got a dodgy hip and I'm starting to find getting on tall bikes sets it off. Hence why my other options is the Triumph Street Scrambler which is nice and low.

But anyway whinge over, I'm looking forward to a test ride on the new bike and like most can't wait to see the Rally Raid options as they come available.

When I did my hip in, I'd put my transalp on the centre stand and stand on the pegs to get on....makes it easier if you've got luggage as well....maybe consider a centre stand as a first farkle?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:26:09 PM by Jonathan »

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2019, 11:05:59 PM »
Jonathan, funny you should say that because it was my Transalp that contributed to my dodgy hip! I fell off it (on a wet grassy slope!) and its never been the same since.

Good point about mounting up on the stand, though its not ideal it might save it getting worse. Unfortunately I think Ill be going for the RR guard which doesnt allow a centre stand. Im sure Ill make do either way!

Offline CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #379 on: March 07, 2019, 01:54:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
) you can expect a set of lowering links from Rally-Raid to be part of the new 2019-on range.
:046: :046: :046:

Jmo Rally Raid has earned itself a well deserved name in being the premier CB500X suspension and off road equipment supplier. I would suggest some small item like bash plate and compatible center stand, mirror extenders, lowering plates/links, light bar etc. that would take very little in R&D money and time and would appeal to many of us that do not off road. These cheaper items might prove to be quite profitable for Rally Raid as they would cross sell to off road and non off road riders. Point is that many of these items are available from various manufacturers already but it would make Rally Raid a more complete CB500X supplier (one stop shop)
Looking forward to anything You and Mitch put together and as always thank you for all that you have already done for us.

Recent Topics