Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 77455 times)

Offline FlatoutMatt

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #340 on: March 04, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Smudger [+]
I recently road tested a 19. Had it out for around an hour on different roads at various speeds. The most i took it up to was 85mph and it was well planted at this speed with no unusual handling issues.
I was really impressed with the bike and bought one.
Whether even higher speeds cause an issue, remains to be seen by me. But its rare for me to ride over 80mph on any bike.

That's encouraging, Smudger, thanks. 85mph is about my overtaking top speed. I'm wondering if the Thai reviewer meant cornering at high speed?

Offline Smudger

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB5X. XSR900.
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #341 on: March 04, 2019, 09:58:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by FlatoutMatt [+]
That's encouraging, Smudger, thanks. 85mph is about my overtaking top speed. I'm wondering if the Thai reviewer meant cornering at high speed?

There could be various reasons why this reviewer perceived head shake.... Weight of rider with suspension settings not dialed in correctly, tyre pressures, road conditions etc etc.
Plus, if the rider is used to riding the old model, there will obviously be a difference between the handling of 17 & 19 inch fronts.
There was certainly nothing to concern me handling wise on the one i rode, apart from the obvious cheaper suspension, but its a low priced bike, so i made allowances for that.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #342 on: March 04, 2019, 11:23:58 AM »
What I'm interested in is the wind management of the new bikes.
The new bike seems to have quite a lot of small details to overcome the buffeting of the earlier bikes, but I'd like to hear feedback from those who rode the 19 bikes.

Offline Smudger

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB5X. XSR900.
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #343 on: March 04, 2019, 11:53:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
The new bike seems to have quite a lot of small details to overcome the buffeting of the earlier bikes, but I'd like to hear feedback from those who rode the 19 bikes.

I found a lot of buffeting with an 18 model i rode, it really was noticeably bad for me.
The new 19 was a huge improvement for me. Screen was at standard setting and i'm 6'1". Screens are something i've had to change on many bikes, but i'm almost certain i wont have to with this bike.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #344 on: March 04, 2019, 01:59:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]

Improvements or styling?  :015:

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #345 on: March 04, 2019, 04:41:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
You can do that now at some dealers. I think it's a $500 deposit to hold and order.
Since I sold my 2014 I have wanted another-went through three other bikes since my 500X- and the 2019 looks like the one to have so a call to my dealer got me zip he had no idea-next higher up the food chain last Friday Honda USA same zip they have no idea when or how much $$-so it's going to be a wait and see thing---so lets keep this open and the first one to see a 2019 at their dealer-shout it out
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 04, 2019, 07:08:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
Since I sold my 2014 I have wanted another-went through three other bikes since my 500X- and the 2019 looks like the one to have so a call to my dealer got me zip he had no idea-next higher up the food chain last Friday Honda USA same zip they have no idea when or how much $$-so it's going to be a wait and see thing---so lets keep this open and the first one to see a 2019 at their dealer-shout it out

I bet some dealers are taking deposits with the expectations of the 2019 coming to the US. I'm watching the dealers around me.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #347 on: March 04, 2019, 11:20:32 PM »

Interesting. You'd think that they would have some notion at this point. Is the X really that overlooked?

Offline kickertwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 05, 2019, 04:08:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by FlatoutMatt [+]
Most reviews of the 2019 model so far seem pretty fluffy to me.

The one video review I've seen with detailed and fearless observations is the one from Thailand, where the guy points out the obvious (though none of the fluffy reviewers are mentioning it), which is that there is a performance cost on the road in going from a 17" to a 19" front wheel. He found it has a "wiggle" at high speed on the road "It may cause you to fall" and recommends that if you want to ride it fast that "you should adjust the front shock to suit your riding style" or install an aftermarket steering damper.

If there's one thing I would like to hear a lot more about from the early purchasers of the bike, it's this suggestion of a "wiggle" in the 19" front wheel at speed on the road. How pronounced is it, and how much can you reduce it with fixes like a steering damper?

Do you have a link? I don't know about that whole cause you to fall. The tire is taller and slimmer but still on solid cast wheels and street rubber.
Did you see the 2019 CB500X Top Speed video (posted on page 26)? The moto does not look like it was about to tank slap the rider going 140+km/87+miles for most of the run.. And, the rider was a 198lb, 45l aluminum top box loaded with 8kg/17lbs

As for fluffy, they were all taken (all expenses paid  :181:) to the Honda press launch in Tenerife. Some did mention the low HP (acknowledge its due to A2) and single front brake rotor bite.

*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Interesting. You'd think that they would have some notion at this point. Is the X really that overlooked?

My experience is that most US dealers don't know squat about the bikes they sell... let alone when a new model will arrive. People have posted that a dealer told them early February and the date has come and gone. For the other New Honda Model, the CRF250F, dealers were saying late December but it arrived late February.

Yes sir, the X is overlooked in US. Well most bikes than aren't liter plus are overlooked.

My guess the 2019 CB500X goes on sale a couple of weeks after we start seeing US based moto mags press launch reviews posted on the web.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 04:08:57 AM by kickertwo »

Offline jojojones

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 05, 2019, 05:35:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by kickertwo [+]
My guess the 2019 CB500X goes on sale a couple of weeks after we start seeing US based moto mags press launch reviews posted on the web.

*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
You can do that now at some dealers. I think it's a $500 deposit to hold and order.

please correct me if I'm wrong...I was told by a Honda corporate rep and 2 dealers, any US dealer will always take your deposit money on any day of the week but US dealers can't make a real order until it shows the actual msrp price on the US website...same day it shows US price on the web, the ordering system will allow an order.  The order time window is only the 3rd week of the month (5 days)...so week of 11th or 18 for May delivery now....BUT...2 dealers have been wrong so far on date orders open up and it keeps pushing back...it was to be Feb for April delivery.  If this is incorrect I would like to know more.  Why the US delays?...is there EURO5 stuff that is removed on ours?

Is there any date for a US press launch?

ps...the white looks great...i guess we are not worthy of choice here ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 05:37:13 AM by jojojones »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage