Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 83612 times)

Offline kickertwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #380 on: March 07, 2019, 03:10:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by cbf1000 [+]
I think Honda are to be congratulated on the 2019 facelift to the CB500X.  They have obviously done their market research and produced a set of well-focussed improvements.  However the new model has been fundamentally flawed for me by the introduction of the 19 front wheel resulting in a deal-breaking rise in seat height to 830mm.  I bought my CB500X because it is one of the few bikes with a low enough seat height at 810mm (and lowering using Lust Racing drop links) to make the bike comfortable for me.  With the lowering and weight of the touring luggage I could get both feet flat.  The rise in seat height effectively excludes me from buying this bike.  Honda have made a fundamental marketing mistake in trying to make the bike more off road  they have effectively alienated the less tall (short) rider.  It is a mistake because I believe there are many more short riders buying the bike than those actually riding it off road.  There is an easy solution to this problem.  BMW (F70GS) and Triumph (Tiger 800 XRx Low) both offer low seat factory options why cant Honda do this?

Only Honda can answer that but I will say Kawasaki does have factory low seat "ergo-fit" options from the entry Versys X 300 to their SuperSports

To those with lowered CB500X, did you lower the front end too? Keeping the factory rake/trail. Something to think about when installing lowering links.

cbf1000 I did find this that can be helpful courtesy of victord33 - https://www.cb500x.com/index.php?topic=2668.0

Offline Longshanks

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #381 on: March 07, 2019, 12:25:42 PM »
I'm in a different situation.
Being six foot three and seventeen and a half stone I welcome the extra height but don't want the nineteen inch front rim. :187:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Longshanks [+]
I'm in a different situation.
Being six foot three and seventeen and a half stone I welcome the extra height but don't want the nineteen inch front rim. :187:

You need the Seat Concepts tall seat and Motoworks peg lowering kit.

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #383 on: March 07, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »
I'm no shorty at 5 foot 10 but I liked the seat height of the previous models, it just felt right. 830mm seems pretty tall and I'm not a fan of the 19 inch rim either. I really don't know why they did that because it's still essentially a road bike and I suspect that's what most people will be using it on.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #384 on: March 07, 2019, 04:09:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Applecorp [+]
I'm no shorty at 5 foot 10 but I liked the seat height of the previous models, it just felt right. 830mm seems pretty tall and I'm not a fan of the 19 inch rim either. I really don't know why they did that because it's still essentially a road bike and I suspect that's what most people will be using it on.

I'm guessing it was to do with ground clearance. The X was a pseudo-adv version of the F aimed at new riders and commuters; a road bike to all intents and purposes, so 17" rims made sense. The latest incarnation is more niche, and more in keeping with other manufacturers targeting the same buyers....I still think they really should've upped the power...or done an A2 and a full blown
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:10:33 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #385 on: March 07, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
I'd have been all over a 650cc 70bhp version.

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #386 on: March 07, 2019, 08:19:33 PM »
What about upgrading your existing 471cc 17 inch wheeled baby to ~65 hp and 49Nm?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:20:05 PM by Oyabun »

Offline uku383

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
« Reply #387 on: March 07, 2019, 09:14:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
What about upgrading your existing 471cc 17 inch wheeled baby to ~65 hp and 49Nm?

Really? Wow. That must have taken some investment - my guess is that those results aren't from a simple re-mapping.
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #388 on: March 07, 2019, 09:57:29 PM »
Actually that bike will be closer to 70 than 65 when finished, and it is working in a racebike what will be used in a national championship - but this measurement is still on regular pump gas.
Indeed it was quite a journey - involving splitting the cases for installing wiseco high comp pistons and removing the harmonic balancer, large cams, fuel mapping, full exhaust system and modified intake. The final version will have a ported head and both cylinders will be individually tuned for race fuel also.

However 58-60hp can be achieved relatively easy with slapping on a modified head and cams, an exhaust and minimal diy intake modifications - without exotic pistons or splitting the cases. It keep stock reliability and most of the bikes economy. Cost-wise it would be definitely less than selling out and buying a new larger capacity bike.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:05:01 PM by Oyabun »

Offline oculux

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 08, 2019, 06:12:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by japes1275 [+]
I kind of agree with CBF1000 on the seat height, it's a major barrier to lots of bikes that don't actually need so much ground clearance or suspension movement. The manufacturers would be better off making bikes like the AT, Tenere, 850GS etc lower and then the (very few!) owners that take them off road could have them raised if they need to. The fact that all these bikes will have aftermarket lowering kits available proves that a lot of people think they are too high. On the other side of things you don't see many low bikes with kits to raise them being offered!

I also bemoan the fact that the manufacturers think that only the high powered and high seated leviathans should have decent components like suspension etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be happy to pay a lot more for an X if it had the same quality suspension and equipment as an Africa Twin

I'm pretty sure the 2019 X will be my next bike with the extra height being the only downside I can see. The seat height itself isn't the problem, it's the height of the back of the bike. I've got a dodgy hip and I'm starting to find getting on tall bikes sets it off. Hence why my other options is the Triumph Street Scrambler which is nice and low.

But anyway whinge over, I'm looking forward to a test ride on the new bike and like most can't wait to see the Rally Raid options as they come available.

In your position I'd probably feel the same because I think the CB500X has such a Goldilocks formula it's going to be enough for probably 80% of all use cases (the other 20% is the churn that happens in the motorcycle market where it takes time for the right bikes to find the right owner).

It didn't take me very long to eliminate much of the doubt about whether it is right for me bt I'll have to see how I get on with it when it arrives.

Personally I will not try to "improve" the bike with aftermarket bits and bobs because... well everyone is different and I'm one of those who likes keeping things stock. Plenty will eff it to death with aftermarket stuff like Rally Rade which I knew nothing about until this forum. Perhaps they are site sponsors, and I am not rubbishing any of these products btw - I have no knowledge or experience of them so my comments should be taken as neutral.

I just wouldn't do it. I'd look for another bike that suited me a bit better and wait for the right one to come along. But that's just me.

Recent Topics