Basic Search



Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 77753 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline kickertwo

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 56
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #510 on: April 05, 2019, 06:12:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
I collected my 2019 bike today.

First impression is that it seems a little skittish, but that's likely because I've been riding a heavier sports tourer for a few weeks, so the X is no longer as familiar as it once was.

The handlebars are a bit higher than my previous 2014 bike. The display is dim in sunlight, although it is much more informative than the last. It has a gear indicator, and reports amount of fuel used during a trip, which is very nice.

The passenger rails are also nice - they are metal, whereas I think that the old ones were plastic. One thing that I especially like is the rear wheel tensioner, which is an improved design that doesn't involve the back plug falling out. Luggage racks from my old bike were harvested for the new one with no problem, however the centre stand can't be transferred as there's some difference in the mounting points (the centre stand isn't available yet (and won't be for a few weeks) which is a bit annoying, but them's the breaks). The radiator guard was also transferred between the two. My old Arrow exhaust also fitted, but the shop had to make a bracket for it (of course, I've kept the OEM pipe).

I had Oxford heated grips fitted, and barkbusters. However, the shop had to cut down the grips by about 1cm to fit, which I find a bit annoying as I've got large hands. Only other thing that I'm really keen to put on right now, is a tank pad.

I was interested in the new windscreen as I'd heard that it was an improvement on the first series screen, but it seems to be much the same re noise and airflow.

Although it only has 4% more torque, I felt as though I could notice a difference. However, 4% isn't much, so that could simply have been a placebo effect.

Warranty is two years, which I think is pretty standard.

Display : An owner mentioned that the display brightness can be adjusted, Ill see if I can find the link
Windscreen: Have you raise it to the upper position?
Torque: 4% more torque from 3k-7k rpm. Not 4% more max torque but it is also 4% more hp on the same range.

Been waiting for a compatibility post like this. THANKS

Center Stand: pre-2019 center stand does not fit

Luggage : pre-2019 fits (several owners have confirm this)

Radiator Guard : pre-2019 fits

Exhaust: pre-2019 are not a direct fit (custom bracket mount needed)

Oxford heated grips: pre-2019 is not a direct fit (needs 1cm cut off)

Barkbusters: pre-2019 is a question but AfricaTwin barkbuster fit

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:22:51 PM by Admin »

Offline CaptainBart45

  • CB500X Member
  • **
  • Posts: 17
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Blythe
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #511 on: April 05, 2019, 06:19:32 AM »
I apologize for my language. Anyhow, can't seem to post.

Offline AJC500

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1485
  • Country: scotland
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #512 on: April 05, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
Full test of the 2019 CB500X in this month's Motorcycle Sport and Leisure magazine.

Their review is very positive - they mention that the new instruments are not bright enough in full sun (even on the highest setting), they found the handlebars a little bit low for standing up (maybe he was a big tall guy!!), they suggested that the taller stance from the 19" wheel and related raising of the rear end makes steering just a little more vague on road, with a little bit more pitching under braking, but then somehow they only managed 60.5mpg, so God knows how hard they were riding!!   :033:

Overall a very good review of the facelifted bike, the improved quality, the torquey engine and the light controls, with performance that means it doesn't need to be flogged to maintain decent progress, as you might some of it's smaller engine/lower powered A2-license 'rivals'....you know the ones!!  :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Online uku383

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 564
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #513 on: April 05, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
I just need to clarify that the barkbusters are in fact new. They are the same ones that fit the Africa Twin. I used to have the OEM version, but want impressed (not much wind protection and no bar).

I'd also liked to add that there is a temperature gauge on the new display, which I like as it will help to confirm that the engine is warmed up. 🙂
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline AJC500

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1485
  • Country: scotland
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #514 on: April 05, 2019, 02:24:49 PM »
Dropped into local dealer for a look at the 2019 bike - VERY nice!!

New 'bodywork' with that (plastic) aluminium colour frame panel looks good, and it has more of a big Honda look, the 19" front wheel is not that obvious, although personally I prefer the old spoke design, which has a little more shape to it than the multiple straight spokes.  Big deal, eh?!   :138:

I don't mind the 'tyre track' stripes on the X, but for those who like to remove them, the ones on the tank are under the clearcoat again.

Fortunately, I didn't find myself lusting after it and wanting to change from my 2017!!  :008:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline motorboy

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 877
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #515 on: April 05, 2019, 03:23:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
I collected my 2019 bike today.

First impression is that it seems a little skittish, but that's likely because I've been riding a heavier sports tourer for a few weeks, so the X is no longer as familiar as it once was.

The handlebars are a bit higher than my previous 2014 bike. The display is dim in sunlight, although it is much more informative than the last. It has a gear indicator, and reports amount of fuel used during a trip, which is very nice.

The passenger rails are also nice - they are metal, whereas I think that the old ones were plastic. One thing that I especially like is the rear wheel tensioner, which is an improved design that doesn't involve the back plug falling out. Luggage racks from my old bike were harvested for the new one with no problem, however the centre stand can't be transferred as there's some difference in the mounting points (the centre stand isn't available yet (and won't be for a few weeks) which is a bit annoying, but them's the breaks). The radiator guard was also transferred between the two. My old Arrow exhaust also fitted, but the shop had to make a bracket for it (of course, I've kept the OEM pipe).

I had Oxford heated grips fitted, and barkbusters. However, the shop had to cut down the grips by about 1cm to fit, which I find a bit annoying as I've got large hands. Only other thing that I'm really keen to put on right now, is a tank pad.

I was interested in the new windscreen as I'd heard that it was an improvement on the first series screen, but it seems to be much the same re noise and airflow.

Although it only has 4% more torque, I felt as though I could notice a difference. However, 4% isn't much, so that could simply have been a placebo effect.

Warranty is two years, which I think is pretty standard.
And so it starts riders who have owned a pre 2019 now compairing the two -just what we need to know put a couple of weeks under your belt on the bike that should be enough time to recognize all the differences  between the two and please report back
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1651
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #516 on: April 05, 2019, 05:43:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by uku383 [+]
I collected my 2019 bike today.

First impression is that it seems a little skittish, but that's likely because I've been riding a heavier sports tourer for a few weeks, so the X is no longer as familiar as it once was.

The handlebars are a bit higher than my previous 2014 bike. The display is dim in sunlight, although it is much more informative than the last. It has a gear indicator, and reports amount of fuel used during a trip, which is very nice.

The passenger rails are also nice - they are metal, whereas I think that the old ones were plastic. One thing that I especially like is the rear wheel tensioner, which is an improved design that doesn't involve the back plug falling out. Luggage racks from my old bike were harvested for the new one with no problem, however the centre stand can't be transferred as there's some difference in the mounting points (the centre stand isn't available yet (and won't be for a few weeks) which is a bit annoying, but them's the breaks). The radiator guard was also transferred between the two. My old Arrow exhaust also fitted, but the shop had to make a bracket for it (of course, I've kept the OEM pipe).

I had Oxford heated grips fitted, and barkbusters. However, the shop had to cut down the grips by about 1cm to fit, which I find a bit annoying as I've got large hands. Only other thing that I'm really keen to put on right now, is a tank pad.

I was interested in the new windscreen as I'd heard that it was an improvement on the first series screen, but it seems to be much the same re noise and airflow.

Although it only has 4% more torque, I felt as though I could notice a difference. However, 4% isn't much, so that could simply have been a placebo effect.

Warranty is two years, which I think is pretty standard.

If anyone is going to give the new bike a shakedown I'm sure it will be you with the way you put miles on a bike. Keep us posted on your progress with it.  :821:

Online uku383

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 564
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #517 on: April 06, 2019, 11:18:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
If anyone is going to give the new bike a shakedown I'm sure it will be you with the way you put miles on a bike. Keep us posted on your progress with it.  :821:

LOL! I really do need to spend time doing something other than riding, but it's so damned fun!  :008: :008: :821:
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

Offline Marv_

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 131
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #518 on: April 06, 2019, 11:24:25 AM »
Interesting that the 2019 bike feels skittish compared to your old one. Isn't the wheelbase slightly longer than the old bike? Should feel be more stable, if anything.

There again, if your old bike was on decent tyres, and the 2019 bike still has pretty bad OEM tyres, maybe that might be why it feels skittish?

Online uku383

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 564
  • Country: au
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Wollongong, NSW
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #519 on: April 06, 2019, 11:44:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Marv_ [+]
Interesting that the 2019 bike feels skittish compared to your old one. Isn't the wheelbase slightly longer than the old bike? Should feel be more stable, if anything.

There again, if your old bike was on decent tyres, and the 2019 bike still has pretty bad OEM tyres, maybe that might be why it feels skittish?

Hey Marv_. I totally understand what you're saying. I didn't want that to be a taken as a major point, because the sports tourer I've been riding for the past few weeks is about 100kg heavier and has wider tyres and a completely different geometry and seating position. So I'm not really surprised by my very early experience of the new bike. Sorry if I didn't emphasise that point enough - it was a very quick posting, and I should have taken more time to provide a better explanation of the circumstances.

My new X is at work at the moment, but I'm taking it home tomorrow (Sunday) and expect to put on at least 1,000km over the next week (unless I have to travel for work), so I'll have a much better view of it then. I fully expect to settle into it quite quickly. I'm really looking forward to taking it through the hills, but will try and be a responsible new owner and not thrash the engine for a couple of weeks.
Second bike: 2011 Triumph Sprint GT
Graveyard: 2014 CB500XA

 


Recent Topics


victorious-backstage