Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 77766 times)

Offline kickertwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #590 on: May 10, 2019, 04:08:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by Revoflyer [+]
Does the Canada/US version have more horsepower since we are not bound by A2 regs - I read somewhere that the engine actually produces 37kW, but some throttle restriction was in place for the A2 market in order to keep it at 35kW

Power is the same across the continents. US does not list the number on the website but I remember the Canadian site listing the same power as Europe.
Yes, you did read that. It was a Honda engineered talking about the 2019+ engine changes being able to produce more power than what A2 allows.

Offline kickertwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 10, 2019, 04:42:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Wow, he panned it. The reflection of the dash would drive me nuts. The shifter and brake pedal are adjustable, so that's a moot point.

Funny, when he was at the light at a stop in 3rd I was like "woah, dude forgot to downshift, he's starting from a stop in 3rd." 2 seconds later he explained it. Bike pulls from a stop in 3rd!  :112:

Now I'm super curious to ride one for myself.

Isn't it the same shifter and the exactly same gearing (internals & sprockets) as the -2018? From everything I read it is the same other than the geardog and slipper clutch so what the heck is he complaining about being geared too low. The rear tire is also still a 17" so power is going down the same rubber size as before  :084:

Vibrations more than before? The new bars setup should be better than the reindeer antler bars it had before. Maybe its the on/off road tires it now has. Still he made it seem like it was a 1980s thumper :084:

Also kept talking about the height but seat height is only 1"/2.5cm taller. Makes it sound like its an AfricaTwin Adventure Sport height :084:

Other things in the video that annoyed me. I'm call d. whistle's review pure BS. Does not own a previous model, going off his last test drive  :182:
Only thing I can agree is the display. I've ask before and owners said its fine but every video looks reflective. Could be because cameras don't adjust/focus like the human eyes.)

I suggest people NOT WATCH IT, it was a waste of time. If you looking a vlog review, search for Mr. Fish CB500x reviews

ThirtyOne,
He did come to a stop on 3rd gear (who does that  :087:) but does downshift to 1st before the light turns green.
On the next traffic light, where he missed the gear it was going from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #592 on: May 10, 2019, 05:15:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by kickertwo [+]
Isn't it the same shifter and the exactly same gearing (internals & sprockets) as the -2018? From everything I read it is the same other than the geardog and slipper clutch so what the heck is he complaining about being geared too low. The rear tire is also still a 17" so power is going down the same rubber size as before  :084:

Vibrations more than before? The new bars setup should be better than the reindeer antler bars it had before. Maybe its the on/off road tires it now has. Still he made it seem like it was a 1980s thumper :084:

Also kept talking about the height but seat height is only 1"/2.5cm taller. Makes it sound like its an AfricaTwin Adventure Sport height :084:

Other things in the video that annoyed me. I'm call d. whistle's review pure BS. Does not own a previous model, going off his last test drive  :182:
Only thing I can agree is the display. I've ask before and owners said its fine but every video looks reflective. Could be because cameras don't adjust/focus like the human eyes.)

I suggest people NOT WATCH IT, it was a waste of time. If you looking a vlog review, search for Mr. Fish CB500x reviews

ThirtyOne,
He did come to a stop on 3rd gear (who does that  :087:) but does downshift to 1st before the light turns green.
On the next traffic light, where he missed the gear it was going from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.

19:31 he was in 1st a few seconds before and there is a cut in the video. He definitely starts from 3rd at that point. I've slipped my clutch from a 2nd gear almost dead stop. Not sure if it'll pull from 3rd from a full on dig.

No idea if there were any transmission gearing changes on the 2019 but I'm sure someone here with more knowledge will chime in soon enough.

Offline kickertwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 10, 2019, 06:25:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
19:31 he was in 1st a few seconds before and there is a cut in the video. He definitely starts from 3rd at that point. I've slipped my clutch from a 2nd gear almost dead stop. Not sure if it'll pull from 3rd from a full on dig.

No idea if there were any transmission gearing changes on the 2019 but I'm sure someone here with more knowledge will chime in soon enough.

I see it now. I did not make it that far when I watched it. I thought you were talking about the 09:30second mark.
I have to say his mic setup is great. Captures almost only his voice, no exhaust noise but looking at the display it was done at no more than 3000-3500rpm on 3rd gear from a dead stop
Impressive or Confusing depending how you look at it.

Someone do chime in about the gearing

Offline Lattugo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA Y2015
  • City / Town: Valsamoggia
« Reply #594 on: May 10, 2019, 06:43:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by kickertwo [+]
Someone do chime in about the gearing

Perhaps it has something to do with the new torque settings, more than the gearing itself? Just trying to guess.

I am curious to ride one too and compare it to mine, but it is not easy to get a test drive here where I am...

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #595 on: May 10, 2019, 06:49:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne lolink=topic=7878.msg83656#msg83656 date=1557461753
The gear ratios are unchanged. Redesigned parts in the gearbox are the gear selector dogs, the shaft going to the clutch -which has changed due the different splines for the slipper clutch, and gear wheels also have different PN due the redesigned engagement mechanism - claimed to use design comin from the big blade. But gear ratios (both internal and external) are exactly the same as before.

The new power delivery is better than before, more torque and power coming earlier, but the power curve goes flat topping at 35kw.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #596 on: May 10, 2019, 09:53:14 AM »
It's very hard to improve on perfection (  :007: ), but I know the 2019 bike will be a cracker - maybe he just liked the old one so much he didn't want to like the new one, or the previous model he rode had a few miles on the clock and so vibrated a bit less that a brand new 2019, or maybe the old bars reduced the vibration compared to the more rigid new 'straight' ones..... and at about an inch higher, who'll really notice that?!!

Either way, I'd always take video and magazine reviews with a pinch of salt, and just view them for entertainment value...although I must admit, I didn't bother watching all of this one, or most of the others,  anyway.  :005:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline Rocker66

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 white 500X
  • City / Town: Ashford Kent UK
« Reply #597 on: May 10, 2019, 09:55:53 AM »
My 2019 model is my third CB500X and I certainly find it an improvement over the previous two.
Audere est Facere
The throttle should be controlled by two things which are the right hand and common sense
4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul

Offline Lattugo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA Y2015
  • City / Town: Valsamoggia
« Reply #598 on: May 10, 2019, 10:55:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
maybe he just liked the old one so much he didn't want to like the new one

Same feeling I had...

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #599 on: May 10, 2019, 01:15:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
The gear ratios are unchanged. Redesigned parts in the gearbox are the gear selector dogs, the shaft going to the clutch -which has changed due the different splines for the slipper clutch, and gear wheels also have different PN due the redesigned engagement mechanism - claimed to use design comin from the big blade. But gear ratios (both internal and external) are exactly the same as before.

The new power delivery is better than before, more torque and power coming earlier, but the power curve goes flat topping at 35kw.

I assumed so, but wasn't certain. Thanks for verifying.

*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
It's very hard to improve on perfection (  :007: ), but I know the 2019 bike will be a cracker - maybe he just liked the old one so much he didn't want to like the new one, or the previous model he rode had a few miles on the clock and so vibrated a bit less that a brand new 2019, or maybe the old bars reduced the vibration compared to the more rigid new 'straight' ones..... and at about an inch higher, who'll really notice that?!!

Either way, I'd always take video and magazine reviews with a pinch of salt, and just view them for entertainment value...although I must admit, I didn't bother watching all of this one, or most of the others,  anyway.  :005:

Same feeling. He caught my attention when he wasn't singing the praise as pretty much every reviewer does of every single bike they test. I've been watching some 790 Adv reviews and it's been nothing but sweet songs. They all sound like commercials.

This review was different, for once. Even if it's baloney.  :745:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 01:15:56 PM by ThirtyOne »

Recent Topics