Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 77440 times)

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #600 on: May 10, 2019, 03:27:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by kickertwo [+]
Isn't it the same shifter and the exactly same gearing (internals & sprockets) as the -2018? From everything I read it is the same other than the geardog and slipper clutch so what the heck is he complaining about being geared too low. The rear tire is also still a 17" so power is going down the same rubber size as before  :084:

Vibrations more than before? The new bars setup should be better than the reindeer antler bars it had before. Maybe its the on/off road tires it now has. Still he made it seem like it was a 1980s thumper :084:

Also kept talking about the height but seat height is only 1"/2.5cm taller. Makes it sound like its an AfricaTwin Adventure Sport height :084:

Other things in the video that annoyed me. I'm call d. whistle's review pure BS. Does not own a previous model, going off his last test drive  :182:
Only thing I can agree is the display. I've ask before and owners said its fine but every video looks reflective. Could be because cameras don't adjust/focus like the human eyes.)

I suggest people NOT WATCH IT, it was a waste of time. If you looking a vlog review, search for Mr. Fish CB500x reviews

ThirtyOne,
He did come to a stop on 3rd gear (who does that  :087:) but does downshift to 1st before the light turns green.
On the next traffic light, where he missed the gear it was going from 2nd gear to 3rd gear.
Can't see how you can call his review B/S and saying don't watch it- it's his opinion and he's riding the bike after riding a 2018-the bike is not going to be perfect for everyone-lets hear your opinion on the bike -oh wait you never rode one no body in the USA has so you can't have an opinion yet-so how about we wait trashing reviews untill we-in the USA- get your hands on it
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline skidooboy

• CB500X Member
  • Where does that trail go?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: L4 Kordylewski
« Reply #601 on: May 10, 2019, 03:55:49 PM »
.decent review. I didn't think he panned the bike...near the end he even says the bike "on it's own " is a great bike. but it pales when compared to the older CB's......maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong.Maybe he's suffering from a memory bias and is focusing on things he overlooked on the 2013-2017 bikes....

after watching all the reviews I can find on the web about bikes I might have wanted to buy, at the end of the day, I think they are all pretty much subjective. it's nice to actually see someone actually discuss the shortcomings.

it hasn't changed may mind... I know the cb 500x will fulfill my needs a price I can afford. 
Go Jets Go!!!

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #602 on: May 10, 2019, 06:04:18 PM »
fwiw. I tend to agree with Kickertwo - I watched that video yesterday and kept thinking - what are this guy's credentials? - he tries to come across as a 'professional' reviewer (I presume he has a channel full of bike 'tests'), but he was factually incorrect on a number of occasions, implying he has limited journalistic skills and engineering understanding...

This is the problem with YouTube (and social media in general) of course - when you can 'self publish' anyone can say anything these days, and depending on their reach [ audience/followers] some people will take your personal opinions and/or mis-information as some sort of gospel... don't get me started on the NC 700/half-a-Jazz-engine debacle again please!

I wouldn't go as far as say do 'not watch it' - by all means watch it, but as an example of how you need to do a little more research before publishing on the world-wide-web, else you look like a bit of an arse ;o)

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline japes1275

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 10, 2019, 06:49:09 PM »
When I watched it all I was thinking was that his main complaints were about things that hadn't changed from the old model! He also seemed very much enamoured by the indicators which are just bits that stick out and light up occasionally to me.

My only concern after watching it was the screen, I'll be very disappointed if it's as bad for glare/reflecting as he makes out. I was also concerned about how wide he said it felt - until I remembered that I'd sat on one in Bob Minnions and didn't think it was any different - the Africa Twin I sat on next definitely felt bigger!!

I like the reviews by 'The Missenden Flyer', much more professional and trustworthy. I don't think he's reviewed the X though.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 10, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »
Yes, it's a common trait on the internet for someone to post a personal opinion as if it's some sort of fact - when unless they can quantify their statement with some actual facts or specifications to back up their conclusion, all it ever can be is one person's subjective opinion...

This is why I tend to despair at the 'what oil/tyres/screen/clothes' questions/threads you get - particularly on Facebook for example - ask a billion people what they like and you're going to get dozens if not hundreds of different suggestions, all based on what suited that individual - not necessarily what is going to suit YOU, unless your circumstances are essentially exactly the same.

Sure it might help you draw up a short list - but equally, you might also end up passing over something that otherwise would have been perfect for you, because someone else didn't get along with it very well?

Fortunately most bikes are 'tailorable' to a degree (screen, lever, foot-control location etc.), and the aftermarket tends to provide for popular bikes pretty rapidly these days, particularly in the Adventure segment.

I always say that ultimately no manufacturer is going to release a 'bad' bike for sale these days... of course some models maybe more appropriate than others for what you want to do, but ultimately the best thing to do is test one for yourself and see if it works (or can be made to work) for you.

Jx
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:11:49 PM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #605 on: May 10, 2019, 07:34:48 PM »

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #606 on: May 10, 2019, 07:41:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by Applecorp [+]

https://www.cb500x.com/index.php/topic,7878.msg83642.html#msg83642

Haha, yeah this got posted a few pages ago. We've been discussing this glowing piece of journalism.

Online Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #607 on: May 10, 2019, 07:55:35 PM »
Apologies, I'm subbed to the guy but only just got a notification for some reason.

I do trust his opinions though, he absolutely loved the 2016/17 model (which I also thought was superb).

Bit concerning as I was considering the new 500X at some point.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:57:44 PM by Applecorp »

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 10, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »
Apologies, I'm subbed to the guy but only just got a notification for some reason.

I do trust his opinions though, he absolutely loved the 2016/17 model (which I also thought was superb).

Again, this was only one guys opinion, on how the bike suited him... plenty of people have ridden the new 2019 bike and absolutely loved it.

Ride one, make your own mind up.

Jx

ps. I agree it appeared the dash screen suffered from some bad reflections at certain [sun] angles, but this is by no means unique to this bike - plenty of other dash panels suffer that same condition too.

One consideration is to fit a screen protector film to it (like you might on a GPS screen), that ought to put a sufficiently matt sheen on it to cut refections.

As for his other critiques, those can all be corrected with either the read of the spec-sheet/handbook and/or a spanner.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #609 on: May 10, 2019, 08:11:06 PM »

Considering you've ridden the older bike, I'd say take the 19 out and let us know what you think.

Recent Topics