Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 77446 times)

Offline Moreorles

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: Castle Hill
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #660 on: May 26, 2019, 06:45:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I miss the torque compared to my Transalp 600....top speed isn't that different, but like you say, the X feels much lighter. I read that Honda specced an anti-vibration top yoke and taper bars on the '19 (presumably to further minimize vibration, so maybe this became apparent when they were revising it. the peg vibration could be just an individual build issue...some do, some don't?

The vibes do seem to be down to each individual. I have the 2019 model and just did a 1,500km trip last weekend and could not honestly detect any vibes in either footpegs or handlebars under 6k rpm. Even above 6k rpm they were barely noticeable. I did notice the wind turbulence so will try and address that in the future.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #661 on: May 26, 2019, 09:15:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Moreorles [+]
The vibes do seem to be down to each individual. I have the 2019 model and just did a 1,500km trip last weekend and could not honestly detect any vibes in either footpegs or handlebars under 6k rpm. Even above 6k rpm they were barely noticeable. I did notice the wind turbulence so will try and address that in the future.

Sad to say it but honda's QC isn't what it used to be.....or am I just getting old and nostalgic? :001:

Offline Moreorles

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 26, 2019, 10:31:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Sad to say it but honda's QC isn't what it used to be.....or am I just getting old and nostalgic? :001:

No no!! I say enjoy the bike! This bike just hits the spot in so many ways but an amazing budget price.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #663 on: May 26, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Moreorles [+]
No no!! I say enjoy the bike! This bike just hits the spot in so many ways but an amazing budget price.

I agree that it's a great bike for the money, but I would have liked to see better quality fasteners and finishing used throughout...this wouldn't add significantly to the design & production costs and if a bike gains a reputation for being good to ride, frugal and long lasting (ie bears up well during normal use), the residual values remain healthy for much longer and folk are less likely to ditch it for something shinier and less raggedy-looking after a few years....which is a big plus in this age of disposable consumption

but this doesn't serve the ethos of the manufacturers supping at the font mammon
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:40:31 PM by Jonathan »

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #664 on: May 26, 2019, 03:49:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by PiotrL [+]
About that review again... So he was complaining about buzz in the foot pegs. He was complaining so much about it that I though that I have to test ride one before buying it, just in case. So I had back to back test rides of a new model yesterday and 2017 one today. 2019 demo bike had some 1100km on the clock, 2017 had 30k++ . I have to admit that new one had noticeably more vibrations in the foot pegs, actually much more than 2017 one. I don't know if the new was not relay broke in yet or if it was just specific to this particular motorcycle, but it was so much more that it was a deal breaker for me... So giving a credit where credit is due, this guy has saved me money and frustration.

I suppose that it's pretty clear that trying to argue that 2019 model is vibrating more than previous based on a single experiment (or two experiments actually?) would be ridiculous, but I'd say that one should have a test ride before making a purchase decision. I'm glad that I did. I'm not sure why Warro and Sven Olsen are not experiencing similar condition. I suppose that everybody has a different threshold of acceptance of annoyances. We do have a different gear, riding style and particular model of a machine, it all makes a difference.

Anyway, just to share few more thoughts from both rides:
  • 2017 instrument panel is not that bad, it's just different. I did not feel that I'd miss much by having it rather than 2019 one, except gear indicator of course
  • There is a noticeable loss of power when compared to my XL700 Transalp, but for whatever reason I did not seam to care: it was enough for me anyway
  • Riding position was better on 2019 one for me. I'm 190cm with 87cm inseam. I did not really fit on 2017 one too well. I don't think I'd be comfortable on longer trips on it
  • Vibrations on the handle bar and tank were noticeable in both models above 4500-5000 rpm, but perfectly acceptable. It's the foot pegs where the difference was. Transalp also vibrates on the foot pegs but I can accept that: it's the Transalp's handle bar vibrations @4000-5000 rpm that I cannot stand...
  • cb500x is only some 30kg lighter than Transalp but I was suprised how big of a different it made it terms of handling the bike. For example slow speed maneuvering was so much easier on CB

Regards,
Piotr.
When this guy came out with this test of the 2019 the forum's went crazy- how dare he blast their beloved soon to be 2019- and I though it's only his opinion- than I went and watched more of his video's including his test of the 2018( which he loved) and he owns an A/T so he must know a thing or two about adventure tour bikes- I just got done watching both his tests 2018-2019 500X back to back -maybe just maybe the bike does have a few things that are not as good as the old one - the question is the product as a whole better than the old one that for me I'm not sure because I'm a pure street rider-my 2014 was very smooth I hate vibration of any kind and it seems alot more have said the 2019 vibrates- so now I'm on the fence- do I buy a new left over- bird in the hand kind of thing- or do I roll the dice and buy a  2019 this is the kind of decision that will drive the average man crazy :084:
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #665 on: May 26, 2019, 04:05:06 PM »
 One last thing on the vibration I noticed a pattern -it seems the riders that have never rode an old one complain less-it's the riders jumping from old to new that notice it more-which makes sense so there must be something to it just saying I'm toast
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #666 on: May 26, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
I have to admit, that I haven't tested the 19 bike yet, so my comment regarding vibration is completely hypothetical.
I have cross referenced parts fisches and found only a few minor changes.
I wonder if the perceived vibration in the pegs could be both relative to compared to the vibration felt on the handlebars and slightly increased in absolute terms?
The 19 models use shorter rise and tapered handlebars making them more rigid, so in theory they should vibrate less (the internal handlebar dampeners are the same as earlier models).
 While at the same time the footpegs are physically being the same, only missing an extra rubber mounted vibration damping weight from the bottom of them - potentially resulting in more vibes - as otherwise the rearsets, frame etc are the same.
It could be a very cheap experiment for any existing 19 model owners to mount the damper weights on the bottom of the 19 pegs and see if that helps reducing footpeg vibes.

Also an additional step for those '19 owners who are staying with the oem bars. Having both 500X and 500F models, I seem to feel less vibrations on the F handlebars. Comparing the two it seems that the F model has longer an thus heavier internal weights - probably would be an interesting experiment to find out if there installing those would reduce or shift vibration frequencies of the X handlebars. I myself running aftermarket aluminium fat bars so unfortunately that's an experiment I cannot do right now.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 08:55:25 PM by Oyabun »

Offline rainrider bc

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #667 on: May 27, 2019, 01:22:44 AM »
Ok here's my take on vibration from the 2019 version. I took mine on a 300km. ride in the mountains today. It got a good workout under a variety of loads, up hill, downhill, high speed ( 120 km / hr ) and low speed. highest RPM reading was 6000. Not sure what that guy was doing in the video however my bike has no noticeable vibration under any of these conditions. As this was the first long ride on the bike a couple of other things that surprised me. Engine power, way better than expected. Awesome road handling. The guy that was with me riding a BMW 1200 gsa said he had to push pretty hard to stay with me in the twisty sections. My last bike was a 2018 Africa Twin ATAS, ( awesome bike.) At the start of the ride today the cb500 felt small however that feeling went away within a hour and it became just fun. At the end of the day i had to admit that for ME this bike is a way more fun to ride than the Africa Twin ever was.
Cheers :821:

Offline Moreorles

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 27, 2019, 08:37:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
One last thing on the vibration I noticed a pattern -it seems the riders that have never rode an old one complain less-it's the riders jumping from old to new that notice it more-which makes sense so there must be something to it just saying I'm toast

I think that's a very valid point. Maybe all owners looking to upgrade from previous model should have to rent and ride a Harley for 6 months prior to purchasing the 2019 model Then the vibes issue will disappear without a trace!

Offline lesmeister

• CB500X Member
  • Ride Often & Ride Safe
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: West Columbia,SC
« Reply #669 on: May 27, 2019, 09:39:05 AM »
Update to an earlier posting with similar info.
My bike arrived at the dealer on 05/21/19 and I picked it up that afternoon, ABS, Red (only color in US).  Have managed to get almost all of the break-in miles completed, will finish tomorrow and have the first service done on Tuesday.

After almost 600 miles, my feeling is this is a BIG improvement compared to my 2015 & 16.  Both of those bikes are great, but with less suspension travel and different steering geometry, you will notice the improvements/differences in ride and handling.  Also seems to have a tighter turning radius.  Feel the stability is better in straight line riding, probably due to the wheelbase difference and new swing-arm.  MUCH improved instrument cluster, easier to read, and with more useful info.

Both my 2015 & 16 have a different engine feel between 60-65 mph (stock sprockets), kind of a course feel in the engine, different from the other speeds below or above.  Notice it because at all other speeds it is so smooooth feeling.  The 2019 also has this characteristic.  More noticeable in the handle bars than the pegs.  Probably something to do with the counter balancers at certain RPM range.  Dont think the type of bars make a difference, as all three bikes have/had different types.

The GPS mounting bar on the windshield is great, however, if you use a Garmin zumo 595 you will need a sunshade.  Most of the time its almost useless, and thats even if you continually adjust it to be able to see something.  Depending on your mounting (I used a RAM rail mount, with a short arm) you will also get vibration over rough surfaces.  Makes it even harder to read.

Noticeable improvement in the low to mid-range torque, will smoothly pull from 3K RPM, cant comment on power at higher RPMs as Ive tried to keep it under 5k most of the time.  Gas milage at these lower speeds is exceptional, 70MPG +/-.  Engine heat management feels improved, been riding in 95+ temps and high humidity.

New slipper clutch is so light, one finger pull.  Slipper feature seems to work fine, but havent been able to ride vigorously enough to create an instance it would be used.  Slipping the clutch seems to take a more delicate touch, not sure if this is because of the new clutch, or peculiar to this bike, maybe more miles will make a difference.

Seat and rear racks are interchangeable between my three bikes.  Left side engine case is has changed, had to use a spacer to mount the horn bracket I moved from the 2015.  Still looking for a sump bash plate, heated grips and Barkbuster Storm hand guards.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage