Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 77752 times)

Offline Mel111

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB5X 15 ABS RRS1
  • City / Town: Somerset Levels
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #730 on: June 12, 2019, 12:46:50 PM »
I did 2000 miles in the UK in one week in all weathers, with standard Honda side panniers! Given the fact I had a Gs1200 ADV before the X , I am still in love with the X. 

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 12, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »
I have no problems riding interstates. I'm fat and carry to much gear. I don't do it because I have mountains and other interesting roads to use.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #732 on: June 12, 2019, 04:19:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
Oh yes you are !!

>> .it's too underpowered and lightweight for long distance touring <<

Shame on you.

A Point of Order, Sir! if  I may? 

it's too underpowered and lightweight for long distance touring that involves big stretches of highway....

I stand by my previous assertion.... :016:

It's only my opinion, when all's said and done. If I needed to ride down to London from Edinburgh for example, I'd rather be on an FJ 1200 than a CB 250N....both will get you there. Riding the former means you could get off the bike on arrival and go about your business following a brief sit down and a cup of tea; riding the latter would necessitate lying horizontally in a darkened room for an indeterminate period and possibly a shiatsu massage before attempting normal human relations....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:36:51 PM by Jonathan »

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #733 on: June 12, 2019, 04:49:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I'd rather be on an FJ 1200 than a CB 250N...

a shiatsu massage before attempting normal human relations....

Now who's getting tricky. We are talking the magnificent CB500X here not the runt of the litter.

I've never been massaged by a dog, what's it like ?

But seriously, Edinburgh to London. For a start, anyone who would want to go to London needs certifying, but if you must then I submit that the CB500X is just as comfortable and will happily cruise at the same speed as the 1200 whilst consuming half the fuel. That speed being 79 mph. Otherwise you get home to find all the speeding fines in the post.

I've done a lot of Europe on an XJ900 so I do know what big bike is like.
Brian.

Offline Applecorp

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: MT-09 Tracer
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #734 on: June 12, 2019, 05:00:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
But seriously, Edinburgh to London. For a start, anyone who would want to go to London needs certifying

:008:  I concur.

Offline Mel111

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: June 12, 2019, 05:51:53 PM »
On my return home from the Highlands, my wife came in to the garage as I parked up and uttered these words...."you must be knackered" she said. I said "Well with a cup of tea and a bit of a break, I could have ridden happily to Snake pass from Somerset". Maybe my rear end has a different chi.

Offline Bat7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rochester NY
« Reply #736 on: June 13, 2019, 12:04:18 AM »
I have to laugh when someone claims the CB500X is not suitable for long distances on interstate highways. I will be 75 next Monday and my limitations include a spinal fusion and a fully torn non-stop repairable rotator cuff. Last summer on a 6700 mile from Rochester NY to Bellingham WA I rode thousands of miles on Interstate 90, including hundreds of miles in Wyoming and Montana where the bike had no problem maintaining in excess of the 80 MPH speed limit. On one 600 mile day I felt better at the end of the day than at the beginning which shows the comfort level of the OEM saddle.
Mick

Offline Moreorles

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2019
  • City / Town: Castle Hill
« Reply #737 on: June 13, 2019, 07:22:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bat7 [+]
I have to laugh when someone claims the CB500X is not suitable for long distances on interstate highways. I will be 75 next Monday and my limitations include a spinal fusion and a fully torn non-stop repairable rotator cuff. Last summer on a 6700 mile from Rochester NY to Bellingham WA I rode thousands of miles on Interstate 90, including hundreds of miles in Wyoming and Montana where the bike had no problem maintaining in excess of the 80 MPH speed limit. On one 600 mile day I felt better at the end of the day than at the beginning which shows the comfort level of the OEM saddle.
Mick
I would agree that the bike is perfectly capable at those speeds, but on the other hand it "feels" better to cruise along at under 5,000rpm for longer runs.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #738 on: June 13, 2019, 04:28:57 PM »
fwiw. I do think people need to get over themselves with regard to the numerical RPM this bike is doing at a certain speed - Honda are not chumps, they have geared this bike to what they feel is optimum for the power [torque] characteristics and it's intended use.

By all means fit slightly taller gearing (for example the NC750X 39T rear sprocket fits straight on) if you ride primarily at higher speeds on the open highway - but don't forget this is ultimately a small capacity [471cc] twin cylinder engine, optimised to be both smooth and economic; and while the bike might revving at 6000 RPM at 75mph (which is the legal limit in most countries anyway), that is still only 2/3rds of it's RPM range, and the bike is still very economic* at those revs... 

*admittedly, start pushing 70mph+ however, and you will see the 70+/- mpg start to reduce significantly - but again that is due more to the bike having a relatively small capacity engine trying to push a 200Kg bike and it's rider through the air at higher speeds.

note. it is also worth considering that other 'small twin' - the Kawasaki VX300 - revs to over 12,000 RPM, and still only offers a similar top speed - so that thing is zinging along at higher speeds, and yet I don't hear many owners complaining about that.

At the end of the day, a modern short[er] stroke small-capacity parallel twin engine is inevitably going to have different characteristics to either a lumpy old thumper, or a larger capacity inline 4 (or V-twin etc.) - and they shouldn't be expected to create power in exactly the same way... but they all get the job done. If ultimately you'd prefer a different engine characteristic, then there are plenty of other 'adventure' options out there on the market these days.

As for the 'concerns' about how capable this bike is sustaining long periods of higher speed (70-80mph) - again, there is plenty of actual anecdotal evidence on this forum and others, from owners/riders who have ridden multiple high-mileage days, back to back - including Iron Butt rides an everything in between, that ought to illustrate perfectly how well this bike copes with sustained higher-speed riding, along with a multitude of other riding conditions.

No-one is saying it's going to be the 'perfect bike' for everyone, but I'd suggest it is a pretty damn good compromise bike for everyone - it does everything pretty well, and without fuss.

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Mel111

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: June 13, 2019, 05:43:41 PM »
100% what Jmo said!!

Recent Topics