Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2019 CB500X  (Read 77762 times)

Offline horobags

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb 500x
  • City / Town: manchester
Re: 2019 CB500X
« Reply #740 on: June 13, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »
Ive the new model and although its not a focused off road bike, its not geared for motorway cruising. Ive just fitted a 16t front sprocket and it sits at 70 mph at 500 rpm less. Ive no intention of taking it off road so a well spent 15 for me.

Offline ncroadtoad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500X
  • City / Town: Eastern NC
« Reply #741 on: June 13, 2019, 06:21:14 PM »
Agree completely.
Just damn happy to be here...

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #742 on: June 13, 2019, 06:31:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by horobags [+]
Ive the new model and although its not a focused off road bike, its not geared for motorway cruising. Ive just fitted a 16t front sprocket and it sits at 70 mph at 500 rpm less. Ive no intention of taking it off road so a well spent 15 for me.

Hi Horobags - yes, a front sprocket change is a quick and cheap way to tweak your gearing as you've found...

I did essentially the opposite with my G310GS last year - the stock 16T felt too tall, but just going down one tooth on the front to 15T made a noticeable difference to the low-speed pick-up of the bike, and conversely also raised the RPM by around 500 in top gear at motorway speeds of course.

Jx
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline DR.NO

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Calgary
« Reply #743 on: June 13, 2019, 07:02:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by horobags [+]

Do you mind sharing where and what sprocket you bought? I would like to do the same mod for my 2019.

Thanks

Offline horobags

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: cb 500x
  • City / Town: manchester

Offline motorboy

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 CB500X
  • City / Town: Cajun Country
« Reply #745 on: June 13, 2019, 07:12:41 PM »
I just got back from a three hour ride-and the whole way I kept telling my self MAN  this bike is way better than the old one-not that the old one was bad it's just this one is better-so to all those with the old one DO NOT test ride the 2019 after- you might not like yours the same as you did before :307: you have been warned :745:
It's not a big motorcycle just a groovy little motorbike

Offline Kerrmitt

• CB500X Member
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X RR 3
  • City / Town: Auburn, CA
« Reply #746 on: June 13, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by motorboy [+]
I just got back from a three hour ride-and the whole way I kept telling my self MAN  this bike is way better than the old one-not that the old one was bad it's just this one is better-so to all those with the old one DO NOT test ride the 2019 after- you might not like yours the same as you did before :307: you have been warned :745:

Thanks for the warning  :306:

Anyone have a Rally Raided one yet?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:15:47 PM by Kerrmitt »
2013 Rally Raid Level 3 CB500X

Sendin' it like FedEx

Offline Kerrmitt

• CB500X Member
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X RR 3
  • City / Town: Auburn, CA
« Reply #747 on: June 13, 2019, 07:32:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
fwiw. I do think people need to get over themselves with regard to the numerical RPM this bike is doing at a certain speed - Honda are not chumps, they have geared this bike to what they feel is optimum for the power [torque] characteristics and it's intended use.

By all means fit slightly taller gearing (for example the NC750X 39T rear sprocket fits straight on) if you ride primarily at higher speeds on the open highway - but don't forget this is ultimately a small capacity [471cc] twin cylinder engine, optimised to be both smooth and economic; and while the bike might revving at 6000 RPM at 75mph (which is the legal limit in most countries anyway), that is still only 2/3rds of it's RPM range, and the bike is still very economic* at those revs... 

*admittedly, start pushing 70mph+ however, and you will see the 70+/- mpg start to reduce significantly - but again that is due more to the bike having a relatively small capacity engine trying to push a 200Kg bike and it's rider through the air at higher speeds.

note. it is also worth considering that other 'small twin' - the Kawasaki VX300 - revs to over 12,000 RPM, and still only offers a similar top speed - so that thing is zinging along at higher speeds, and yet I don't hear many owners complaining about that.

At the end of the day, a modern short[er] stroke small-capacity parallel twin engine is inevitably going to have different characteristics to either a lumpy old thumper, or a larger capacity inline 4 (or V-twin etc.) - and they shouldn't be expected to create power in exactly the same way... but they all get the job done. If ultimately you'd prefer a different engine characteristic, then there are plenty of other 'adventure' options out there on the market these days.

As for the 'concerns' about how capable this bike is sustaining long periods of higher speed (70-80mph) - again, there is plenty of actual anecdotal evidence on this forum and others, from owners/riders who have ridden multiple high-mileage days, back to back - including Iron Butt rides an everything in between, that ought to illustrate perfectly how well this bike copes with sustained higher-speed riding, along with a multitude of other riding conditions.

No-one is saying it's going to be the 'perfect bike' for everyone, but I'd suggest it is a pretty damn good compromise bike for everyone - it does everything pretty well, and without fuss.

Jenny x
:460: LOTS OF THIS.....  :047:
Just finished a 7 dayer with multiple tarmac runs at up to 85 mph (for short periods, of course) and avg speeds for hours of 70-75. I also have had a spinal fusion and suffered no ill effects. My friends who were along with me (they both ride KTM990's) both took turns on the little CB500x and were impressed fully with both it's on road and off road capabilities. Mostly it's ability to fuel every OTHER time they stopped for gas  :150:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:43:16 PM by Kerrmitt »
2013 Rally Raid Level 3 CB500X

Sendin' it like FedEx

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X RRL2
« Reply #748 on: June 14, 2019, 12:11:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Kerrmitt [+]
Anyone have a Rally Raided one yet?

I know of one... ;o)

...but that is John's own personal/UK Demo bike of course.

Plenty of kits have been ordered [not least during the launch/million milestone promo] last month, but currently the 2019-on wheels are still in production so delivery is still a couple of weeks away.

I hope to have one myself by the end of next month!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline vinuneuro

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Chicago
« Reply #749 on: June 14, 2019, 12:30:00 PM »
I was ready to buy the 2019 until I realized it only comes in the red color here. It's shame Honda doesn't see the need to bring additional colors to the US (even Canada gets red and black), but the 500cc market is probably pretty small here. I'm probably going to pick up a used older model for this year's riding and hope they offer a neutral color next year. The 2019 white is particularly fetching, the markets that have this option are lucky.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage