Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 16,000m Service time  (Read 4264 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Uncle Tee

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Memphis
16,000m Service time
« on: November 06, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
Iíve been tossing and turning as to what Iíd do when it was time. Honda-Memphis service est: $250 service+parts
Schedule 2 days in advance, next day pick-up.
I want a couple of trusted local reviews, but I was expecting at least double.
Cheers, T

Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1592
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: 16,000m Service time
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 11:12:04 PM »
I'm at 9k so a little bit away. What's in the 16k service?

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3226
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
Re: 16,000m Service time
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 11:12:32 PM »
A good tech that is on his toes and knows the CB-X can do the work in 2.5 to 3 hours. Depending on the shops hourly rate, $250 seems reasonable. If I am doing nothing more than a valve/ adjustment and spark plug replacement, I can do it in about 2.5 hours. Sometimes shims have to be ordered to adjust the valves.

My valves started going tight by 7500 miles. By 9000 miles, I couldn't get to 70mph.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:13:13 PM by EscCtrl »

Offline EscCtrl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3226
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
Re: 16,000m Service time
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 11:13:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
I'm at 9k so a little bit away. What's in the 16k service?

It's listed in your owners manual. I can't remember right off what all it is.

Offline ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1592
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: 16,000m Service time
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 02:42:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
It's listed in your owners manual. I can't remember right off what all it is.

Found it. Nothing too intensive.

Online AJC500

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1389
  • Country: scotland
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: 16,000m Service time
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 10:01:16 AM »
It's going to be a while before I need that done, but it is something I sometimes think about - I'm not interested in doing it myself (valves adjustment, no thanks), Honda dealer will be expensive (and one of our chums here had a terrible local main dealer experience), but will a non-Honda dealer know the ins and outs of stripping the bodywork and doing the job without damage?  :084:

Oh well, it'll be a year or two before I have to decide!!
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline Uncle Tee

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 105
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X
  • City / Town: Memphis
Re: 16,000m Service time
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »
A reasonable price made the choice easy. Iíd rather do it myself, but back problems flaring have several projects taking much longer than I want this to take.
Thanks, T
Farkles: A silly little word for things I know nothing about until I read another post and wonder "Why in the world have I not gotten this yet?"

Offline SnowOwl

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1367
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Re: 16,000m Service time
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 05:11:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
It's going to be a while before I need that done, but it is something I sometimes think about - I'm not interested in doing it myself (valves adjustment, no thanks), Honda dealer will be expensive (and one of our chums here had a terrible local main dealer experience), but will a non-Honda dealer know the ins and outs of stripping the bodywork and doing the job without damage?  :084:

Oh well, it'll be a year or two before I have to decide!!
Aren't you supposed to trade it in on a new bike when the 16K service is due?
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Online AJC500

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1389
  • Country: scotland
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
Re: 16,000m Service time
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 07:00:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnowOwl [+]
Aren't you supposed to trade it in on a new bike when the 16K service is due?

Ha! Ha!  :008:

That's what I did when I bought the Honda, but I'm 65 and retired now, so I try not to think about spending more money on new bikes..... hell, does that mean this is my last bike??  :161:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1592
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: 16,000m Service time
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 11:24:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by AJC500 [+]
Ha! Ha!  :008:

That's what I did when I bought the Honda, but I'm 65 and retired now, so I try not to think about spending more money on new bikes..... hell, does that mean this is my last bike??  :161:

Oh come on..that 2019 is quite shiny  :745:

 


Recent Topics