Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New 2019 CB500X - New Parts  (Read 2560 times)

Offline skidooboy

• CB500X Member
  • Where does that trail go?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: L4 Kordylewski
Re: New 2019 CB500X - New Parts
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 05:12:32 PM »
Any one have a time line on when we might see some info on the 2019 RR kits? I just ordered a 2019 CB and am hoping I can get a bash guard.

Also has anyone in Canada purchased RR? How long does it take to get the parts after ordering?
Go Jets Go!!!

Offline kickertwo

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 05:09:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Marv_ [+]
Interesting! I might wait for the new version of the engine guard to come out. I'm guessing you won't have to unbolt the rear of the guard to access the oil sump plug, just remove the alu center section.

I'm probably hoping in vain, but it would be great if the new version allowed the center stand to be retained....

*Originally Posted by catstevecam [+]
+1 for being able to keep the OEM stand with a revised engine guard

+3, wasn't to keen with the idea of unbolting frame bolts for maintenance (stripping bolt or introducing grime). Also being able to have the center stand makes other maintenance easier.

*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
If you get a short length of hydraulic hose made up with a straight thru' connector on the sump plug end and a re-sealable fitting on the other, you won't have to remove the plate to drop the oil...I mentioned this to RR a month or two back as a potential 'kit'

Drainzit makes them to order..eg.

The hose idea is great but not the plug being at the end. Hydraulic hoses are super tough but there still a lot of hose to damage

A metal valve with built in open/close lever and hose attachment is better... still you need access to the lever

fumoto oil valve

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 06:37:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by skidooboy [+]
Any one have a time line on when we might see some info on the 2019 RR kits? I just ordered a 2019 CB and am hoping I can get a bash guard.

Also has anyone in Canada purchased RR? How long does it take to get the parts after ordering?

Hi Skidooboy - if you follow the Rally-Raid Facebook page, you'll see John has already been trying on all the current accessories, plus has had the new forks apart all ready... the bike is going off to TracTive at the end of next week to have the revised rear suspension specification finalised.

As soon as they are in a position to start batch production of parts, then you'll hear it here and everywhere else too I'm sure - tentatively I'd say you are looking towards the end of April for the accessories and suspension, and the spoked wheels to follow soon after.

Note. Once the specification of the new RR parts has been finalised, I'm sure John will be explaining what you can expect here in a dedicated '2019' thread in the Vendor section, and I'll be revising the FAQs to reflect the changes and differences between the current 2013-18 models and the 2019-on.

Jx

« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:09:40 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Online JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2019, 06:57:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by kickertwo [+]
+3, wasn't to keen with the idea of unbolting frame bolts for maintenance (stripping bolt or introducing grime). Also being able to have the center stand makes other maintenance easier.

The hose idea is great but not the plug being at the end. Hydraulic hoses are super tough but there still a lot of hose to damage

A metal valve with built in open/close lever and hose attachment is better... still you need access to the lever

fumoto oil valve

Hi Kickertwo (and Marv) - to clarify, you do not have to remove any bolts to change the oil once the [current design] Rally-Raid engine guard has been fitted, you simple loosen the forward engine-mount bolts a couple of turns, and the pull out the pin at the rear that secures the guard to the centre-stand tube, and the whole assembly pivots down so you can access the drain plug - the instructions are on the Rally-Raid website.

Not only is it very simple, but you only have to do this every 8000 miles on a CB500X of course.

That said, the revised design will make the fitting (and subsequent maintenance) procedure more simple, and I trust will eliminate the problems some owners have had getting things to line up when initially fitting the guard.

With regard to the incompatibility with a centre-stand (the explanation is in the FAQs) - essentially the tube where the centre stand mounts is the strongest location for the rear of the tubular cradle engine guard, which is why John chose that as the mounting point for his design. The limited space around the rear of the engine and the suspension linkage mount means is not possible to produce a sufficiently strong rear mounting bracket that would allow our design of engine guard to fit, and therefore a compromise we were not willing to make - since the RR design if foremost about protecting the bottom of the engine from any impact damage.

In addition, the LEVEL 2 suspension is too tall for a centre-stand to work anyway (again, a more detailed explanation is in the FAQs) - plus on a bike with comparatively limited ground clearance, neither John nor I consider a permanently mounted centre-stand appropriate for a bike that is likely to be used more seriously off-road; coupled with the fact there are a number of other  [transferable] solutions on the market that would allow you to lift either the front or rear wheel for maintenance and puncture repair, something which typical dual-sport riders employ - for example the EnduroStar Trail-Stand and BikeMaster Lift-Stick to name two.

If you want a centre-stand [and I appreciate some people do], then there are other makes of skid-plate available that can be modified to fit with the centre-stand in place, which could well be sufficient if outright [off-road] protection is not your priority.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 07:13:57 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Marv_

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 08:03:22 AM »
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up! All makes complete sense now...and as ever with you and John at RR, everything has been designed and considered with a logical and pragmatic approach (which is great!)

I think I'm going to have to make the trip to RR HQ at some point this year to ride a demo bike, as I flutter between wanting L1 and L3 seemingly every other day  :008:

Marv

Recent Topics