Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Changing throttle tube  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
Changing throttle tube
« on: November 09, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
I am considering changing the throttle tube on my bike to try and cure some of the snatchiness at low speed, to a tube with a slower cam action.  Can I do this without me moving the cables where they join the fuel injector under the tank, or is there enough slack at the handle bar end to do it there so I dont have to mess about taking the tank off.

superplasma

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
Re: Changing throttle tube
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »
I don't get the snatchiness any more as I've got used to overcoming it with clutch control. Have you tried that?

Offline Lancs-lad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2019 cb500x
  • City / Town: Colne
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 03:23:20 PM »
Having managed to glue my throttle tube stuck whilst fitting the heated grips :157: I can confirm that you can change the tube without disconnecting the FI end the pain in the arse bit for me was reassembling the throttle halves & getting the location pin in the throttle assembly into the hole in the bars!!
Red Rose Classic MCC

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 06:50:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Superplasma [+]
I am considering changing the throttle tube on my bike to try and cure some of the snatchiness at low speed, to a tube with a slower cam action.  Can I do this without me moving the cables where they join the fuel injector under the tank, or is there enough slack at the handle bar end to do it there so I dont have to mess about taking the tank off.

superplasma

No need to touch the cables at the throttle bodies. just slack off on the adjuster before taking the switchgear clamshell apart.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 07:09:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
No need to touch the cables at the throttle bodies. just slack off on the adjuster before taking the switchgear clamshell apart.

This.

Where are you getting another throttle tube from? I've done this mod on other bikes, but haven't heard of anyone doing it on the X. Believe it or not, I put a larger throttle cam on one of my bikes and it actually made the ride less snatchy for me. You might want to experiment if they're inexpensive.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 07:20:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
This.

Where are you getting another throttle tube from? I've done this mod on other bikes, but haven't heard of anyone doing it on the X. Believe it or not, I put a larger throttle cam on one of my bikes and it actually made the ride less snatchy for me. You might want to experiment if they're inexpensive.

G2 for the CBR500R is the only one I know of. There are three versions that I am aware of, Street Tamer, Ergonomics Throttle Tamer, and Metric Throttle Tamer. They range from $59 to $120 from what I have seen online.

I think everyone goes with this one.
https://www.amazon.com/G2-Ergonomics-Throttle-Tamer-40-4F-136/dp/B009TC4XSA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1541790841&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=honda+cb500x+throttle+tamer&linkCode=ll1&tag=manicycl-20&linkId=73a010b942eac7a271d5b2507267d26a&language=en_US

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 09:31:16 PM »
This.

[/quot

Thottle tube from G2.

Superplasma
e]

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 10:20:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
G2 for the CBR500R is the only one I know of. There are three versions that I am aware of, Street Tamer, Ergonomics Throttle Tamer, and Metric Throttle Tamer. They range from $59 to $120 from what I have seen online.

I think everyone goes with this one.
https://www.amazon.com/G2-Ergonomics-Throttle-Tamer-40-4F-136/dp/B009TC4XSA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1541790841&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=honda+cb500x+throttle+tamer&linkCode=ll1&tag=manicycl-20&linkId=73a010b942eac7a271d5b2507267d26a&language=en_US

Wow. That's a lot of money for a throttle tube. Thanks for the link

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »
Wow. That's a lot of money for a throttle tube. Thanks for the link

I agree and you're welcome.  :028:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 05:53:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Lancs-lad [+]
Having managed to glue my throttle tube stuck whilst fitting the heated grips :157:......
Classic... :008:

Recent Topics