Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low Beam Gone  (Read 366 times)

Offline CalmBiker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2015
  • City / Town: Beverley
Low Beam Gone
« on: November 10, 2018, 06:40:36 PM »
Great fun riding through the north york moors in the rain tonight with my dipped headlight not working.  :001:
Full beam is still working so I suspect a new bulb required. The service manual says 12V-60/55W. Would this be an H4?

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Low Beam Gone
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 06:50:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by CalmBiker [+]
Great fun riding through the north york moors in the rain tonight with my dipped headlight not working.  :001:
Full beam is still working so I suspect a new bulb required. The service manual says 12V-60/55W. Would this be an H4?

Yep...according to this thread https://www.cb500x.com/index.php?topic=2017.0

For what it's worth, I tried various 'upgraded' H4s on my other bike and they're all much of a muchness...claims of "80% more light than a standard halogen" are pure BS...maybe in a laboratory for 5 seconds with an ultra clean power source, but not on an old Transalp on the Snake Pass, mid winter :156:

Offline CalmBiker

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA 2015
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 07:00:29 PM »
Thanks Jonathan. I did try a search beforehand. Not sure how I missed that thread.
I tried "better" bulbs in my car once. 80% more light = slightly bluer.
I do have a friend who had a Blackbird with an HID kit. Now that was something to behold. He could be 100 yards back and I could see my own shadow on the road in the area of my headlamp beam. I could never believe it was legal but he got through MOT's.

Offline jsonder

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda CB500XA
  • City / Town: Green Valley, AZ
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 08:31:14 PM »
I installed a generic H4 bulb of the same wattage from the parts store.  It is still doing fine 2 years later.
John  '14CB500XA (Daily Rider),  '09CRF230L (L'il Red Piglet), '89NX250 (sold)
Nekkid motorcycles feel faster

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 09:17:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by CalmBiker [+]
Thanks Jonathan. I did try a search beforehand. Not sure how I missed that thread.
I tried "better" bulbs in my car once. 80% more light = slightly bluer.
I do have a friend who had a Blackbird with an HID kit. Now that was something to behold. He could be 100 yards back and I could see my own shadow on the road in the area of my headlamp beam. I could never believe it was legal but he got through MOT's.

I went for a HID conversion on my old Transalp...bright as a b**tard but the beam pattern was awful. I used to distract the MoT tester with some witty banter, while he did the front lamp check...he'd roll his eyes and pass it  :017:

Recent Topics