Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS H-E-L-P!!!!!  (Read 3026 times)

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
GPS H-E-L-P!!!!!
« on: November 12, 2018, 11:15:27 PM »
First a word to the moderators. My apologies for placing this post here. Ive put it here to get the fastest attention possible. Thank you. Understood if you move it.

Today, Monday, for $500, I just ordered a Garmin 395 LM GPS, assuming all would be well. It is to arrive at the dealership and be installed when I arrive this Friday. Now at home, Im looking at the reviews on this GPS. At the VERY best, they are just OK with numerous faults and many, many complaints. About 60% of the purchasers / users tell of breakdowns, malfunctions and product failure to do what is promised.

I am NOT a savvy tech operator. I am the opposite. And why I dont want all the bells and whistles offered on the Garmin 595 LM @ $700. Im looking for BASIC GPS functions for my 3 week trip next Spring. Simple to operate, dependable, accuracy in its information. Thats it.

Yes, I could use my I-phone. Its cradle is already mounted  on my X and plugged in for charging. As long as I have service <<< and thats why I ordered a GPS. Light off road use will be minimal, but I do expect to get beyond typical cell service as I will be headed East out to the Dakotas, exploring as I go.

Before I offer the dealer a courtesy S&H payment to return the 395LM, I thought I would ask for your thoughts. I am HUGELY disappointed in what I read on the reviews and $500 is a major investment for this working man. Regrettably, far too many of the reviews on the 595LM were just as poor. Maybe a few Butler maps? Im spoiled by the very good factory GPS in my car and thought (???) this would be a great assist on my moto trip, aiding with safety as well as convenience.   :148:

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:19:37 PM by Winchester »
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline CB500X

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GPS H-E-L-P!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 12:07:30 AM »
I'd go for the 595LM if I had the choice. Not sure what to suggest if you wanted a basic model. However, I know some people prefer the Tom Tom Rider but I hate TT software as I don't find it intuitive. Conversely, some people say the same about the Garmin.

595LM is not cheap though, would be better if the price point was around $500 mark.

Offline 303

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 CB500XA
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:48:35 AM »
Not sure what type of site you read the owners feedback from. Some things to think about which might add up to a pound of salt.

Lots of people complain.
A lot of "review" or "rating" web sites only hear from people who are complaining.
People who are happy with a product won't be complaining. They often won't review.
For every 1 who is complaining there is a possibility that there are 1+ who are happy but say nothing
Some people complain before they have used or learnt a product but don't come back and change their review from thumbs down to thumbs up.
And some complainers aren't actually owners but competitors. This happens a lot.
I'd look around for actual user reviews by people who have faces.

I've been in this boat a few times where I've plonked down the cash, then found a site where 95+% people were unhappy. Stuck it out thinking I'll burn my dough ($$) oh no! and then being pleasantly surprised. Then I worked it out.

Of course YMMV but something to consider.

If you go through with it, please let us know what you think of it... I'm looking for a good GPS. Something weather proof-ish. Been looking at big rugged smartphones as an option. Standalone maps. Chinese phones.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:50:55 AM by 303 »

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 02:39:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by 303 [+]
Not sure what type of site you read the owners feedback from. Some things to think about which might add up to a pound of salt.

Lots of people complain.
A lot of "review" or "rating" web sites only hear from people who are complaining.
People who are happy with a product won't be complaining. They often won't review.
For every 1 who is complaining there is a possibility that there are 1+ who are happy but say nothing
Some people complain before they have used or learnt a product but don't come back and change their review from thumbs down to thumbs up.
And some complainers aren't actually owners but competitors. This happens a lot.
I'd look around for actual user reviews by people who have faces.

I've been in this boat a few times where I've plonked down the cash, then found a site where 95+% people were unhappy. Stuck it out thinking I'll burn my dough ($$) oh no! and then being pleasantly surprised. Then I worked it out.

Of course YMMV but something to consider.

If you go through with it, please let us know what you think of it... I'm looking for a good GPS. Something weather proof-ish. Been looking at big rugged smartphones as an option. Standalone maps. Chinese phones.

AHA. Had not thought about why some post what they do. Definitely worth considering. FWIW: Amazon user reviews. 395LM and 595LM.  :005:

I really don't have $500 to throw away on a unit that does not do what they advertise. I know I hold accountability for the operation of the unit, but.......  Self employed, I've got enough stress in my life and just want the thing to work.  :440:

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. As far as reporting back in...count on it!

Thank you both!!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:45:41 AM by Winchester »
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Online Mister Paul

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500X
  • City / Town: North Somerset
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 07:34:15 AM »
I've had a basic Garmin for a few years. It's been faultless. And Garmin customer service has always been great in my experience.

Offline Tod.

• CB500X Pro
  • Welsh, by the grace of God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Basildon
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:30:41 AM »
Why spend all that money on a dedicated gps. A TomTom app on an iPhone is 18 for world wide coverage and it operates offline. It doesnt need a phone signal, or use your data allowance. It operates off your phones gps. Ive used mine in France and the uk quite a lot and it works faultlessly. It even has the option of using winding roads as per the TomTom units. It has the very latest maps and if theres an update to that map itll ask you if you want to update your maps. Id never buy another gps unit. My Garmin unit hasnt been used for a few years as the lifetime maps are only supported up to the point where Garmin decide Thats enough lifetime for that model and then they pull the plug and you have to run on older maps or buy a new unit with lifetime map update which is only valid until they bring out another new unit to replace the one you have. Its a vicious circle, designed to relieve you of a wedge of cash every 3 years or so. Am I just being cynical? Nope, Ive got first hand experience of their practice.

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tod. [+]
Why spend all that money on a dedicated gps. A TomTom app on an iPhone is 18 for world wide coverage and it operates offline. It doesnt need a phone signal, or use your data allowance. It operates off your phones gps. Ive used mine in France and the uk quite a lot and it works faultlessly. It even has the option of using winding roads as per the TomTom units. It has the very latest maps and if theres an update to that map itll ask you if you want to update your maps. Id never buy another gps unit. My Garmin unit hasnt been used for a few years as the lifetime maps are only supported up to the point where Garmin decide Thats enough lifetime for that model and then they pull the plug and you have to run on older maps or buy a new unit with lifetime map update which is only valid until they bring out another new unit to replace the one you have. Its a vicious circle, designed to relieve you of a wedge of cash every 3 years or so. Am I just being cynical? Nope, Ive got first hand experience of their practice.

+1 ,yes same here,big rip off.

Superplasmer

Offline WSJMK04

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Ayr
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 09:43:43 AM »
My TOM TOM was no longer supported .Bye bye , no I won't be buying another . Sygic . Free trial , maps and traffic for life , licence for 3 devices . 

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
I purchased and regularly use a Garmin Drive 51 LM.  It is a car GPS and not an expensive "special motorcycle" GPS.  It cost me $125 for a new GPS that more than suits my needs.  If I ever need to use it in the rain, which has been never so far, I carry a Ziplock bag in the tank bag to put the GPS in to make it waterproof enough.  Don't really see the need for a special purpose overly expensive motorcycle dedicated GPS, the much less expensive car models work just fine.  I also use the same GPS in my truck and car.

Unless you have a specific need for a specialized GPS, which it sounds like you don't, I would return the expensive unit and get a car unit that costs a lot less.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:12:14 PM by SnowOwl »
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 04:07:11 PM »
As you're not particularly into tech and I envisage you won't be trying to plan convoluted routes etc. I'd just buy a well specced used car sat nav for a few dollars. I bought an old Tomtom Go 920 for 10 off ebay. It covers Western Europe and the US, has excellent signal, can play audio (MP3) and voice prompts via bluetooth, line out or speaker and is very simple to use. It doesn't have the very latest maps, but I used it to navigate successfully around Europe via all types of roads and off road routes without a hitch. If it gets nicked or damaged it cost peanuts...

Despite what people say, smartphone Apps are not as good as a dedicated GPS. The receiver isn't as powerful and the offline coverage isn't as comprehensive, in my experience. the only difference between top spec car sat navs and motorcycle specific units is the IP rating...a waterproof case can be had for a few dollars....I just use a see through 'snappy' bag if it rains hard. Cleaning the case and screen with ACF 50 makes it showerproof.

No way would I stick a $500 unit on a bike that can be ripped off and pocketed in a matter of seconds

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage