Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS H-E-L-P!!!!!  (Read 2985 times)

Online Samsgrandad

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Langport
Re: GPS H-E-L-P!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 05:11:03 PM »
Hi Winchester,
I purchased a Garmin 660 LM (the forerunner of the 395 and 595 series) several years ago, I have never had a problem with it, it has always updated properly from the website when Garmin have reminded me to do it. As a bike specific unit it is waterproof no messing with cases on the bike and it charges from the built in cables.

As far as security is concerned I would not leave it unattended on the bike, but it is simple to unclip and put in it's case in the top box or take it with you.

I too am technologically challenged and have found it simple to use, just put the destination into it and away you go. I would not worry too much all in all a good machine.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:12:21 PM by Samsgrandad »

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 07:22:06 PM »
Winchester, I wish I could add some sage advice on that model, but I haven't seen one outside of display units. Mal bought me a cheapo Garmin 4.3 inch car GPS about 10 years ago. I still have it and use it in my vehicles and on my motorcycle. I have a waterproof case for it that mounts to my bars. Unfortunately, my GPS can't be seen in bright or direct light. I mainly use my phone with google maps. I plan my trip ahead, while I have WIFI. The phone usually downloads the available maps for the areas I have planned to ride. I can also plan my ride on my computer using google maps, and then send it to my phone when I am ready to set out.

Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 07:50:42 PM »
Thank you all very much. Once again - this is why I so much enjoy this forum. Good people all wanting to help each other with experience and wise opinions.

Have cancelled the order and offered to pay the restocking/S&H costs if needed.

All riding will be local over the next few months so the GPS decision is on hold. Did pick up the First Gear heated jacket to be installed this Friday.

Be safe and thank you again.

Cheers.
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Online hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 09:11:45 PM »
Just a note for your future buying, yes a phone or cheap tablet will do a good job but few or non will work with gloves on.
Brian.

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 11:35:39 PM »
Im older so Im self-confident after having "been there done that" many, many times over the decades. That said while I am confident in my bike and my riding abilities again, decades of motorcycle riding experience its always been within a 100 mi circle of home base where I always know where I am and, if not I will in a few minutes.

So the real problem is my not knowing whether I really will need a $$$ GPS? Im not afraid of getting lost so much as basically wanting to know where I am and where I am headed. It seems (???) that would be helpful knowing what route I am on and whats ahead. Basic route stuff. Seeing the screen and/or hearing in my helmet Turn right in 200 feet onto route 191 South. Pause. Follow route 191 South for 27 miles.  A necessity? Probably not. Convenient? I think so, spoken like a true moto NON-traveler.

This trip will be about 3 weeks long with maybe 4,000 miles round trip. I intend to explore along the way to my next destination so general direction would be more important to me than my exact location and specific route to point B. And why, at the very least, if I wanted to be headed North it would be nice to know that I wasnt incorrectly headed South or West.

By now you may be thinking I shouldnt leave my driveway.   :017:  After 60 years and probably over 1,000,000 miles driven with 2 minor accidents, Ill be OK. But this will be a relatively long distance moto trip and Im trying to minimize problems before I leave. Problems I currently can only speculate. Comprende?? The bike and I are ready. This is the only piece of gear Im just not sure of - worth the $$$ - or not. It is NOT just about the $ - it IS all about the return on the investment???

Thank you again for all your common sense replies. The jury is still out for me as I dont know enough on this topic to objectively weigh all the pros and cons - so I don't have strong feelings either way.

Much appreciated.

Cheers.

(Admin: thank you for the post location leniency here)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:40:56 PM by Winchester »
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline jojojones

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2018, 11:39:18 PM »
A $100-$300 ip68 waterproof android with system 7 or higher leaves any...repeat A N Y Garmin hardware behind in tech.  Don't bother with iPhone either...too closed and no sd card.

Learn and run Locus Maps Pro...throw that Montana on eBay...game over.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 11:43:10 PM by jojojones »

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 12:04:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tod. [+]
Why spend all that money on a dedicated gps. A TomTom app on an iPhone is 18 for world wide coverage and it operates offline. It doesnt need a phone signal, or use your data allowance. It operates off your phones gps. Ive used mine in France and the uk quite a lot and it works faultlessly. It even has the option of using winding roads as per the TomTom units. It has the very latest maps and if theres an update to that map itll ask you if you want to update your maps. Id never buy another gps unit. My Garmin unit hasnt been used for a few years as the lifetime maps are only supported up to the point where Garmin decide Thats enough lifetime for that model and then they pull the plug and you have to run on older maps or buy a new unit with lifetime map update which is only valid until they bring out another new unit to replace the one you have. Its a vicious circle, designed to relieve you of a wedge of cash every 3 years or so. Am I just being cynical? Nope, Ive got first hand experience of their practice.

I can give you one good reason: phones overheat and shut down when they're sitting under the sun. Had this happen in Mexico multiple times while trying to use a GPS app on my phone to navigate to my hostels for the night. Yes, phones are fantastic for most of it, but a GPS won't leave you standing under the baking sun on a hot day in full kit , waiting for the thing to cool off.

I just bought a Garmin Montana this year and have been slowly experimenting with it. Its not fancy like he LM line, but can work on the bike and also for hiking and whatnot. Definitely happy I have a GPS unit.

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:15 AM »
I-N-T-E-R-E-S-T-I-N-G.................   :460:

Offline enterprise-psi

• CB500X Member
  • A majestic sight we must be
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2016
  • City / Town: Athens
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 08:01:19 AM »
I too use a second phone or tablet, with sygic.  Put it in airplane mode, never had it overheating. And we all know how hot it can get in Greece  :008:
Granted this set up is not waterproof ,  some sacrifices must be maid.

Setup

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »
An inexpensive new or used Garmin car GPS works just fine for me.  Maps are fully preloaded and quarterly map and points-of-interest updates are free.  One thing I like to do with it is to set the destination as "Home" and head out to explore just turning down any road that looks interesting that I haven't been on before.  I know about what time I need to be back home and when the ETA shows the time I need to be home I turn around and follow the route back to home base and arrive when I intended.  I can explore without concern of getting lost or being back late, all is good.

Having the GPS mounted on a bar above the clocks puts it in my field of view without taking my eyes off the road.  It also makes it easy to see upcoming curves so I don't get surprised as easily.  When the GPS displays information I see it right away since it is in the field of view all the time.  Therefore, the sound is not necessary and is muted.  Couldn't really hear it anyway with impaired hearing and earplugs in.

One other plus with using a GPS instead of a phone, the GPS touch screen is pressure sensitive so it works quite well with any gloves.  The touch zones are also large making it easy to use with gloves.  Phones use a capacitive touch system that require special conductive finger tips in the gloves to work.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage