Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GPS H-E-L-P!!!!!  (Read 2984 times)

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: GPS H-E-L-P!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 06:30:40 PM »
 :460:

Agreed.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »
I had the same problem as thirty one. Phone overheats and shuts down in summer, when on GPS. Even if it is out of the sun ( Everything overheats in the sun in Queensland any season).
It also uses power faster than it can be charged when on GPS . It's a Galaxy 5 so they may have fixed that by now.

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 08:49:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by gregjet [+]
I had the same problem as thirty one. Phone overheats and shuts down in summer, when on GPS. Even if it is out of the sun ( Everything overheats in the sun in Queensland any season).
It also uses power faster than it can be charged when on GPS . It's a Galaxy 5 so they may have fixed that by now.

My phone had the same 'cooked' and barely able to maintain full charge effect when touring NZ last Dec/Jan - even swapping phones (from Android to iPhone) had the same result - admittedly it was wonderfully warm weather (30C)!
Using a second-user TomTom (in UK) I have had no issues and I find the unit easy to pocket or lock in top-box when the bike is parked.

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
Re: GPS... a plan comes together
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 10:39:29 PM »
With the last few days of bad weather and appointment postponements, Ive been able to do some prolonged research on the GPS dilemma, weighing the good advice here with umpteen online reviews. After a lot of serious consideration, studying the many advantages and disadvantages of multiple options, here is the current strategy.

There is a phone bracket and charging wire already installed on my bike. Ive made the decision to use my iPhone and current carrier for the primary navigation tool. Its basic, it works. Using WAZE or something similar should suffice for maybe 90% of my riding. However, I like having backup so there will be 2.

First, a few selected Butler maps and a compass will both go in my tank bag. Again, uncomplicated, as I plan on staying on tarmac and fire roads at least thats the plan.

Second, thru REI for their return policy (90 days), I will be purchasing the Garmin eTrex 20x with the Garmin City Navigator NT North America-microSD. The reviews lean toward the positive for what it is designed for. IF I need it, the Garmin rep told me this set-up will provide my exact location, turn by turn directions to fuel, food, lodging and a long list of other amenities. While the unit wont connect with the audio in my helmet, I wont be asking it to. Its a backup system only.

Though small, the eTrex will run for 15 to 25 hrs on 2 batteries which are easily replaced and easily carried. It links to all the common, necessary satellites. Much longer lasting batteries are also available. The unit will ride in my jacket pocket or one of my hard bags, in the OFF position, reserving power until I need it. All of this for about $300 which fits my budget.

So, theres the plan. I will have ample time to test the eTrex, which I will. Theres no inference here that this is the best plan for anyone else but I like where Ive ended up.  :152:  Like all plans, however, only time will tell.

Again, thank you all for your input, much appreciated folks.

Cheers.
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:12 AM »
Best of luck. Let us know how you make out after some time.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 01:57:34 PM »
Winchester, try getting into a sporting goods store and try out a few handheld units and see what system you like for GPS. That could be the real determining factor over which exact model you buy. Another option that hasn't been mentioned is the sportsman line of GPS. They are weatherproof and some are submersible. The only problem is they are handheld units and a little smaller than a cell phone. Some of those have ATV/moto mounts available for 7/8-inch/22mm handlebars like our bikes have.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 04:03:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
Winchester, try getting into a sporting goods store and try out a few handheld units and see what system you like for GPS. That could be the real determining factor over which exact model you buy. Another option that hasn't been mentioned is the sportsman line of GPS. They are weatherproof and some are submersible. The only problem is they are handheld units and a little smaller than a cell phone. Some of those have ATV/moto mounts available for 7/8-inch/22mm handlebars like our bikes have.

:028:

Be careful riding right now, it's too cold up here in the NORTH.  :005:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 06:22:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winchester [+]

Be careful riding right now, it's too cold up here in the NORTH.  :005:
We have too much flooding here to ride and near freezing this morning. I had to drive through deep water in my truck to get my son to school. I'm surprised they didn't call off school here as well. A lot of schools up your way were out for icy roads. We've had 4.5 days of near-solid rain.  :190:
Current bikes

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 06:34:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
We have too much flooding here to ride and near freezing this morning. I had to drive through deep water in my truck to get my son to school. I'm surprised they didn't call off school here as well. A lot of schools up your way were out for icy roads. We've had 4.5 days of near-solid rain.  :190:

Noah went by earlier - had the NO VACANCY sign out.  :027:

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 07:23:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winchester [+]
Noah went by earlier - had the NO VACANCY sign out.  :027:

:745:
Current bikes

Recent Topics