Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 09:53:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
Powah of the dark side is strong ;-)
I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X.  :148:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2018, 10:37:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winchester [+]
I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X. I will not trade my X.  :148:

If you have to say it out loud... :119:

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 10:44:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
If you have to say it out loud... :119:

Just so you clearly understand - if I ever do trade my X, it's all YOUR fault.  :017:
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Oyabun [+]
Lol. You better think twice before you ask for it. I got that brewing ;-)

but at what cost?....we want cheap horsepower that we can bolt on in an afternoon :440:

Offline Oyabun

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
Without getting much more offtopic here - I love my 500 to bits. I've found that there is no real competition for the X for my use (relatively light weight cheap bike, twin cylinder bike what is easy to maintain, cheap to run, and has high reliability for  mixed on and off tarmac adventuring) - but as many others I felt the itch for a tad more power - and unlike others I went down that rabbit hole. On the way I've found what works and what not. All other larger displacement bikes are heavier - some by a significant amount. The most waited for me was the Tenere 700, but realistically it will be about 10-15kg heavier and much more expensive than the 500 also parts for it would be an issue in most part of the world. The AT is nice, but even heavier. I have been vaccinated against BMW and the new ones are just plain ugly too - also very expensive to run and break often. KTMs are nice tools, but again not my piece of cake cost and reliability-wise.
As they say there is no replacement for displacement. If you want to get really big amounts of power, I'm afraid you got to upgrade.
While there is no real cheap way to gain a huge amount of power from this relatively small mill (no a bolt on silencer, air filter and an easy to plug box will not bring more than 1-2hp if any), I believe I've found a cost effective way of getting a significant boost of performance. I'm not saying it is the ultimate solution, nor it is the cheapest way to get some power out of the engine, but I think it is good for what it is.
Most of the 471cc CB500 engines are dynoed about 41-43hp stock at the rear wheel. My upgrades expected to net somewhere in the range of 56-60 at the rear depending on your selected components - with a very healthy increase in midrange power.
If someone can do a valve adjustment on the engine, the same person can do the upgrade too. Probably not a job for an afternoon, but I could do it in about 5 hours tops - might be a full day job for someone less prepared. Definitely less time than installing a full rally raid kit.
It is designed to keep the factory reliability with normal use - apparently if someone bounces on the rev limiter constantly it would shorten the usable life of an engine regardless if it is stock or not.
Total cost should be less than 1500GBP.
I've wrote about the details in other topics and also happy to answer questions.

Recent Topics