Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Gauge Error  (Read 476 times)

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
Fuel Gauge Error
« on: November 16, 2018, 03:25:21 AM »
My 2014 X just showed the fuel gauge error. The indicating bars "flow" from middle to top and bottom. I'm expecting a broken wire on the pump assembly in the tank if it's like others' experiences. I read the book and most of the posts here on the subject. Is this a common failure? Age related?

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
Re: Fuel Gauge Error
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 02:31:50 PM »
It's common on the earlier bikes.  You just need to remove the seat, side panels, side fairings, take the tank off, flip it over, pull the pump assembly and solder the wire back on.  Reassemble in reverse order.  Shouldn't take more than an hour or two taking it slow.  Be careful of any heat or sparks around the fuel vapor while the tank is opened up.  Best to open the tank outside and bring the pump assembly inside to do the soldering work after the fuel has dried off of it.
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 07:09:20 PM »
Yep, that was it. Took 2.5 hours. The tank was easier for me to remove this time remembering to use the rear pin as a pivot while accessing the fuel line, connector, and two vapor lines. Thanks to whomever it was that gave that tip. I did not drain the tank. The small vapor line did need to be blocked with a hose and clamp after rolling the tank on its top. Fuel pump removal is similar to a car. Found the broken wire as suspected. The connector for the level gauge wires are already soldered to the board, so the repair is to solder the wire back to the connector.

Online EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2018, 07:37:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing. I've seen the other threads on this subject. You added more detail and pics. Thanks.  :062:
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics