Basic Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: First year with my CB500X (and of riding on road)  (Read 1276 times)

Offline circuitjc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 CB500XAH ABS
  • City / Town: Sarnia
First year with my CB500X (and of riding on road)
« on: November 16, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »
Where I live it is that time of year again... when the bike goes away to protect it from the abusive road salt they use. (If that wouldn't eat my frame alive I'd ride all winter. Even if I don't plan on keeping this thing for more than another year I still wouldn't wish that on the future owner.)

I wanted to share my experience with my 2017 CB500X for this first season of riding. I use it for everything and in all weather (except snow with salt on the roads).

I am 9000kms+ in this year and the only thing I've had go wrong were the Honda heated grips. They were replaced under warranty with no issues. My signature says what I've added to it. My Barkbuster dilemma was fixed when they replaced the grips so even that is proper now.

In the summer my wife (she has her '18 Vulcan S) and I went on a 5 day trip. Around 1800kms with the panniers full and a 35 litre dry bag on the back. No issues rain or shine. Part of the trip was 50 kms of fresh gravel road and a few construction areas. This bike handled it all in stride. My only complaint was numb bum at the end of the 4th day so I bought a Corbin seat... which I love.

The Corbin seat: I don't think it is worth the $800 CND but it is worth close to it. The riding position it has me in is much better than stock (and stock wasn't bad either). In the Corbin saddle I feel more planted and it has me just that little bit lower so the wind goes completely over my head with the stock windscreen. (I am 5'11", 32" inseam) It makes my bike perfect on the highway and it feels more planted in the city.

So, the bike itself has been great and from a new to street motorcyclist I can say it has been the perfect "beginner bike" for me. I have learned so much on this bike. I get my full M next fall and after that I'm getting something with more power. It's the only thing I'm personally missing. I can't fault the bike for that though. It wasn't designed for that. It's a 500 and if you learn where to shift it gets going perfectly fine.

I am looking forward to another year with my CB500X. It is predictable, reliable, practical, and does the job really well.

The attached picture is from early in the year when it was still clean and no Corbin seat. :001:

Just thought I'd share. I haven't been on here much but I do lurk once in a while.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:21:58 PM by circuitjc »
2017 CB500XAH ABS
SW-Motech Crash Bars / Bash Plate / TRAX ADV Panniers / 350 Dry Bag on ALU-RACK, R&G Rad Guard, Honda Heated Grips / Centre Stand, BarkBuster Storms, RAM Handlebar bolt mount w/X-Grip, Custom USB Rapid charger/Zumo396/Corbin Seat

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
Re: First year with my CB500X (and of riding on road)
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
Sounds like you had a good year.   We got some signficant snow  today, which sucks because it means salt on the roads.  I  am in mourning.  What are you thinking about for your next bike?

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 08:54:03 PM »
Thank you - it's great to have you share your positive experiences with the wider community and we look forward to more tales when your riding season starts again in a few months.
Many of us appreciate the challenges of road salt - it has a habit of reaching deep into a bike and I know that when I did a winter rebuild on an old Guzzi, the underside of the swinging arm needed a repaint as did a few 'nooks and crannies' where I obviously hadn't washed-off the salt. I've just about stopped winter rides - unless I have time to wash the bike well afterwards.  :017:

Offline Dukie

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Cb500x
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 12:53:02 AM »
Good luck for the future
Sold:  '13 Rally Raid lvl 3.
own:  '17  Rally Raid lvl 1

Offline Winchester

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 02:03:09 AM »
 :400:

Thanks for sharing. Our bikes are similarly equipped, mine, maybe a bit more so, planning for a month across the US in 2019. Respectfully suggesting you don't rush leaving your X. Its light, nimble, do-all nature is not easily replicated. Some have left - only to return.  :002:

Cheers and glad to have you here.
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 03:42:58 AM »
I had more powerful bikes before this. It's a wonderful feeling when there is 100+ whp on tap. Nothing else feels like it. I'm also glad that I got it out of my system (at least for now).

Have fun, get your bigger bike and someday you'll probably come back to your beloved X.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 03:44:25 AM by ThirtyOne »

Offline circuitjc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
What are you thinking about for your next bike?
On the high end side:
BMW S1000XR - stupid amounts of power - "adventure" bike ergos/sport bike performance - current pick
BMW 1250GS - have to see what everyone loves about it - the boxer sticking out worries me though
Any of the KTM adventure models 1090 and above

On the more practical side:
Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - Good all-rounder
Africa Twin - The front is fugly imo (my personal preference)

My main issue with the Honda and Suzuki is that the dealer I bought my CB500X from doesn't do test rides anymore. I am not spending $16,000-$20,000 CND plus on a bike I haven't ridden at least once.

I test rode a Zero this summer. If the battery could get me 500 kms per charge I'd get one of those. The torque is amazing and it's so quiet.

There is nothing wrong with my CB500X. I just want mo powa. It's not a need.

It takes me a long time and a lot of research before I buy something at this level which is why I started looking at things now. Who knows? In a year's time I might settle on something completely different. That is what happened with the CB500X. I was set on getting a Suzuki M50 (it's so pretty all black and chrome) but once I sat on the X that seating position sold me.
2017 CB500XAH ABS
SW-Motech Crash Bars / Bash Plate / TRAX ADV Panniers / 350 Dry Bag on ALU-RACK, R&G Rad Guard, Honda Heated Grips / Centre Stand, BarkBuster Storms, RAM Handlebar bolt mount w/X-Grip, Custom USB Rapid charger/Zumo396/Corbin Seat

Offline circuitjc

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »
Oh and I'm not leaving my X yet. I still have at least another year of joy with this bike and it will only get better as my skills increase.  :306:
2017 CB500XAH ABS

Online ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »
My bikes have been getting progressively smaller and lighter.  I started with a 1999 Honda Shadow ACE 1100 (590 lbs), then got a 2007 VFR 800 (540 lbs) and now the CBX at 430 lbs.  I'm thrilled with the CBX, but I am very happy I spent almost 90,000 miles on the other two combined, especially the VFR. 

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage