Basic Search



Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II  (Read 1912 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1588
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »
@Winchester - One of my favorite quotes is "variety is the spice of life."

It sounds like that desire for moar powah is going to get you soon or later.  :008:


Offline Winchester

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 126
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
@Winchester - One of my favorite quotes is "variety is the spice of life."

It sounds like that desire for moar powah is going to get you soon or later.  :008:

Hey..........yur supposed to be helpin'!  :192:

IF - I say IF - I get another bike it it will be added to the X - not replacing it. Thankfully, I've already been down the road of multiple, exciting ownerships. To be exact, too many. A long and enjoyable experience. The hard earned lesson - for me - each bike was truly GREAT at what it did best - but not so much on everything else. So - while the X is definitely a compromise - it spans the chasm across so many needs for so many riders, including me. A do all machine? Nope. That bike doesn't exist. There are some bikes that offer the least number of compromises - but that list of compromises can only be written by each rider. When compared, the lists will differ.

Trust me, I could make that 2018 candy apple red Wing work. But I CAN'T make it do what my X does. Just like the reverse is true. So I'm back to the 2 bike solution - restricted by that annoying funds available thing.

With one eye on the Wing and the other on my X, I too am not an X fan boy. That said, the joy in riding and using my X quickly discards its niggling faults. I could be very happy replacing my X and riding a new GS, Bonneville or Africa Twin - for awhile. Right up until the weight, COG, range etc began to annoy me.

And round it goes. Have a good day 31. I'm off to ride.  :152:

Cheers. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:11:56 PM by Winchester »
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 985
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 11:19:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winchester [+]
Hey..........yur supposed to be helpin'!  :192:

IF - I say IF - I get another bike it it will be added to the X - not replacing it. Thankfully, I've already been down the road of multiple, exciting ownerships. To be exact, too many. A long and enjoyable experience. The hard earned lesson - for me - each bike was truly GREAT at what it did best - but not so much on everything else. So - while the X is definitely a compromise - it spans the chasm across so many needs for so many riders, including me. A do all machine? Nope. That bike doesn't exist. There are some bikes that offer the least number of compromises - but that list of compromises can only be written by each rider. When compared, the lists will differ.

Trust me, I could make that 2018 candy apple red Wing work. But I CAN'T make it do what my X does. Just like the reverse is true. So I'm back to the 2 bike solution - restricted by that annoying funds available thing.

With one eye on the Wing and the other on my X, I too am not an X fan boy. That said, the joy in riding and using my X quickly discards its niggling faults. I could be very happy replacing my X and riding a new GS, Bonneville or Africa Twin - for awhile. Right up until the weight, COG, range etc began to annoy me.

And round it goes. Have a good day 31. I'm off to ride.  :152:

Cheers.

I've found over the years, having owned several different bikes, they all get modified, farkled and otherwise tinkered with and eventually end up morphing into virtually the same thing...I bought a dedicated road bike (bicycle), put flat bars on it, wider rims and tyres, changed the gearing, put mudguards (fenders) and a rack on....before that I had a mountain bike: fitted riser bars, skinnier wheels and tyres, changed the rear cassette for closer ratios...basically, I ended up with what we in the UK call a 'gravel bike'.....

The X is the motorcycling equivalent of a 'gravel bike' :015:

Can't imagine a wing running TKC's though!   

Online ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1588
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 11:49:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I've found over the years, having owned several different bikes, they all get modified, farkled and otherwise tinkered with and eventually end up morphing into virtually the same thing...I bought a dedicated road bike (bicycle), put flat bars on it, wider rims and tyres, changed the gearing, put mudguards (fenders) and a rack on....before that I had a mountain bike: fitted riser bars, skinnier wheels and tyres, changed the rear cassette for closer ratios...basically, I ended up with what we in the UK call a 'gravel bike'.....

The X is the motorcycling equivalent of a 'gravel bike' :015:

Can't imagine a wing running TKC's though!

Just did a quick search for the fun of it. It has been done, of course.




Offline Winchester

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 126
  • Country: us
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500XABS
  • City / Town: Blue Ridge Mtns
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 01:53:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I've found over the years, having owned several different bikes, they all get modified, farkled and otherwise tinkered with and eventually end up morphing into virtually the same thing...I bought a dedicated road bike (bicycle), put flat bars on it, wider rims and tyres, changed the gearing, put mudguards (fenders) and a rack on....before that I had a mountain bike: fitted riser bars, skinnier wheels and tyres, changed the rear cassette for closer ratios...basically, I ended up with what we in the UK call a 'gravel bike'.....

The X is the motorcycling equivalent of a 'gravel bike' :015:

Can't imagine a wing running TKC's though!

How much will it cost to put a DL650 engine in my X? What a great engine and bike the Wee was but get just a bit technical with it off road and the COG will rear up and bite you. I'm no wimp and I speak from experience. Just got too tired of that happening - hence my X.  :017:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:55:13 AM by Winchester »
"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Online ThirtyOne

  • CB500X God
  • *****
  • Posts: 1588
  • Country: hn
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2018, 02:44:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winchester [+]
How much will it cost to put a DL650 engine in my X? What a great engine and bike the Wee was but get just a bit technical with it off road and the COG will rear up and bite you. I'm no wimp and I speak from experience. Just got too tired of that happening - hence my X.  :017:

I had a DL650 and while it smoothed out around 4,500+rpm, I found it pretty lumpy down low. I prefer the parallel twin even though it's got much less wallop.

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 985
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2018, 08:31:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Just did a quick search for the fun of it. It has been done, of course.



it just needs some stickers and it's all ready for the Dakar.... :033:

Offline Jonathan

  • CB500X Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 985
  • Country: gb
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 08:33:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winchester [+]
How much will it cost to put a DL650 engine in my X? What a great engine and bike the Wee was but get just a bit technical with it off road and the COG will rear up and bite you. I'm no wimp and I speak from experience. Just got too tired of that happening - hence my X.  :017:

I hear you....the X is under powered IMO....15 more horses and a glob of mid range....it's not much to ask for

Online Oyabun

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 434
  • Country: hu
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2018, 08:45:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
It sounds like that desire for moar powah is going to get you soon or later.  :008:
Powah of the dark side is strong ;-)

Online Oyabun

  • CB500X Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 434
  • Country: hu
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 500XA, 16 FA
  • City / Town: Europe
Re: Ramblings of a Curmudgeon Part II
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 08:48:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
I hear you....the X is under powered IMO....15 more horses and a glob of mid range....it's not much to ask for
Lol. You better think twice before you ask for it. I got that brewing ;-)

 


Recent Topics