Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Luggage distribution  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
Re: Luggage distribution
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 07:08:06 PM »

Good for the pillion....

Offline gromflake

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 07:08:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by UKJeeper [+]
Giant Loop has nice kit, like Moto Mosco. But... damn, they're . The Great basin and Coyote bags are twice the price of my Motech bag.

Have you seen the bags made by 21 Brothers?  http://www.21brothers.eu/21brothers.eu/ROGAL_XL.html

Mr Motorcycle Adventures thinks they're great.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 07:38:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by UKJeeper [+]
I did 11,000 miles around the US, earlier this year. I used a Givi tank bag and an SW Motech 700 dry bag. The thing I liked about the Motech bag (apart from the price!) was the design. It has 'legs' that drop below the main body of the bag, that you fill with all the heavier items, keeping the weight lower than a normal duffel style bag. I had a lot in there, as I was on the road for 6 weeks, but never managed to fill it.

I had a good look at these for the same reason you mentioned, but I'm holding out for some secondhand Kriegas as you can stick them together in much the same way, but you're not stuck with the one large bag, for lesser travels. Good option for the X though....

Also checking the classifieds for Nanuk cases (like Peli but cheaper and better sizes)...

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 11:54:12 PM »
Jonathan pretty much covered it.
Weight ideally should be as close to the middle of the bike , both vertically and horizontally to least effect handling. Of course when loaded touring , you don't tend to be knee scrapeing, so a fair bit of leeway is available.
Couple of things though worth considering. Luggage behind you and a little narrower will have a huge effect on reducing your body wind load ( flow stays attached better so less drag). Bulk in front, such as a tank bag will also reduce the wind pressure on your body AND allow the flow from around the windshield to flow smoother with less shedding. Especially if accompanied by rear fairing ( bags etc). Can make a big difference to tiredness at the end of the ride and after and how you feel next. Think of it as a giant fairing for best results. NOTE: I makes getting on and off a bit of a chore, so careful thought is advisable.

Offline Herman

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2018, 04:15:29 PM »
Yup what they said. I like a tank bag even a small one to lean on and have instant items in like the camera. I have a long waterproof holdall on the back seat and rack and tie it so I can lean back on that , there is also a bungie net over it for fast retrieval/storage of waterproofs, etc. If camping then the tent goes in this bag too to keep the weight centralized. I like a top box on my bigger bike but not the x but I have it almost empty, perfect for the camp shopping or bunging the jacket/helmet away when sightseeing.     

Offline JaneCitizen

• CB500X Newbie
  • Couple of CB500X riders
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Eastwood
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2018, 11:57:41 PM »
Thanks guys, that's been a big help. Much appreciated
 :037:

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2018, 01:41:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by JaneCitizen [+]
Thanks guys, that's been a big help. Much appreciated
 :037:

Have you decided which direction you'll go with?

Online slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2018, 02:22:55 PM »

I use Giant Loop Luggage.   Siskiyou Panniers at the back, Diablo Tank Bag and Pannier Pockets either side of the tank.  So it allows me to put a bit of weight forward to counter the MASIVE amount of stuff I carry with me.

Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 03:48:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]
I use Giant Loop Luggage.   Siskiyou Panniers at the back, Diablo Tank Bag and Pannier Pockets either side of the tank.  So it allows me to put a bit of weight forward to counter the MASIVE amount of stuff I carry with me.

You weren't joking. That's a lot of luggage.

Online slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2018, 04:47:42 PM »

Yes,I know:-(

The 2 yellow bags are basically my camping gear.  The rear one is my Lone Rider Tent and the one at the front my sleeping bag, inflatable mat, cot, chair, table and stuff.  If I was to use a compression sack I could get the sleeping bag smaller.    I am also gluten intolerant, so I tend to take a lot of freeze dried gluten free food packs with me.  They basically fill half of one of the panniers.   However, next year I am taking a cooking pan to go on my jet boil so will try out cooking each day, so I can then buy food as I travel.   So I recon I can probably then getaway with just one of the Yellow bags.

Trip in April is London to the Sahara and back and hoping to do some of the old Dakar route.  This will be my 4th trip down to the Sahara.   Ferry to Northern Spain and ride down to get the ferry to Tangier.   Going to take the long way and will spend about 5 days in Spain on the way down and 14 days in Morocco.   
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage