Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Luggage distribution  (Read 2606 times)

Offline JaneCitizen

• CB500X Newbie
  • Couple of CB500X riders
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Eastwood
Luggage distribution
« on: November 20, 2018, 01:15:08 AM »
Hi all,
We're doing a big trip and will need a fair amount of luggage. We've got 60L saddlebags and looking at what our other luggage will be. You see pictures of ADV bikes loaded up on the back with saddlebags, top boxes and big packs and I just look at them and wonder if the weight is too rear-distributed. I'm just looking for any advice on whether you can get away with having a lot of luggage at the rear, or whether it's best to have tank panniers or something similar to put a bit of weight up the front?

I tried searching for similar subjects in the forum but couldn't find anything, so feel free to just attach a link to a discussion topic if it already answers this.

Thanks a lot, any advice is appreciated

Offline 303

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 CB500XA
Re: Luggage distribution
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 02:24:41 AM »
What about doing a test load out and go for a spin, see how it feels. Might seem like a lot of work but would give you a good starting point. And iron out any major issues that you would otherwise have to deal with when you're on the road.

When back packing I found it worth loading up how I thought I should distribute it all. Then going for a walk around my local area. Main thing I learnt from that was my pack suspension was poorly set up for me.

Also that I wanted to take less stuff. It's easier to add useful/forgotten items as you go than discard stuff you paid $ for and then realize you don't want to lug or need.

Offline JaneCitizen

• CB500X Newbie
  • Couple of CB500X riders
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Eastwood
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 02:29:16 AM »
I'll definitely be taking as little stuff as possible.
You're right - ideally I'd set it up then test it out. But I'm looking at whether I need to buy tank panniers or a pack for the rear, and I don't want to buy both and then test them. I was just looking to see whether anyone here has carried a lot of luggage, how they've done it, how well it's worked and any advice they've got.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 02:40:25 AM »
You can go 2-up on these bikes, so unless you're carrying more than a human's worth of weight you will probably be ok. When testing, make sure to set your sag fully loaded. It'll make a difference.

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »
I take three with me when I go, me, myself, and I. I carry about 60lbs spread across both side cases and my trunk. I can go a week without needing a laundry mat unless there are nice areas with clean water that I can use to wash clothes and wash up.

Loaded for a four day 1500 mile trip. That hill behind my bike is steeper than it looks. Also more rutted than it looks with loose gravel.

Offline UKJeeper

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 03:22:50 PM »
I did 11,000 miles around the US, earlier this year. I used a Givi tank bag and an SW Motech 700 dry bag. The thing I liked about the Motech bag (apart from the price!) was the design. It has 'legs' that drop below the main body of the bag, that you fill with all the heavier items, keeping the weight lower than a normal duffel style bag. I had a lot in there, as I was on the road for 6 weeks, but never managed to fill it.

Australia stockist ($249Aus) https://www.motorradgarage.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2383
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 03:28:20 PM by UKJeeper »

Offline Irishrover

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X/CB400SF
  • City / Town: Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 03:31:28 PM »
Check out Giant Loop, they have loads of storage bags for the CB500X.

Also check out Juan's YT channel.

Bikes: Honda CB500X. Honda CB400SF. Vespa GTS300

https://www.youtube.com/user/irishrover63

Offline UKJeeper

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X
  • City / Town: Chelmsford
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:36:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Irishrover [+]
Check out Giant Loop, they have loads of storage bags for the CB500X.

Giant Loop has nice kit, like Moto Mosco. But... damn, they're . The Great basin and Coyote bags are twice the price of my Motech bag.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 06:47:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by JaneCitizen [+]
I'll definitely be taking as little stuff as possible.
You're right - ideally I'd set it up then test it out. But I'm looking at whether I need to buy tank panniers or a pack for the rear, and I don't want to buy both and then test them. I was just looking to see whether anyone here has carried a lot of luggage, how they've done it, how well it's worked and any advice they've got.

Any additional weight affects the handling and stopping distance, regardless of where you load it, so the first thing is to look at your kit and decide what can be left at home. Once you've pared it down to the minimum, if there's a couple of you going, (camping for example) weigh it all then split it between the bikes (assuming you're both on similarly able machines).

As far as loading, keep the weight as far forward and low down as possible...a long pack on the pillion and rack is better than shorter packs crosswise further back. If you're using side cases or panniers put the heaviest items in the bottom, lightest at the top.

Most standard side cases/pannier racks are designed with a pillion passenger in mind, so the cases are generally far enough back to avoid obstructing the passengers legs....all well and good if you tour two-up, but for solo riders, moving the cases forward would be better.

Top boxes are horrible for affecting the handling. Not because they're badly designed but mainly due to people overloading them as it's more convenient to stuff that extra bit of shopping or souvenir tat in the top box, rather than unpacking your cases and stashing it properly.

You will definitely need to increase the rear preload if you're taking lots of gear and a passenger....if solo, anything over 20 kgs would be worth getting the spanners out.

One thing you'll find after a day or two, you'll get into the habit of packing in a particular way; you needn't be overly anal about it, but it makes life easier after a sh*t night's sleep :001:

Yet to do any big tours on the X but based on previous experience I'd travel as light as humanly possible. I draw the line at titanium spoons, drilled to reduce weight and pico stoves that fold up to oblivion (unless, of course, that floats your boat). The $200 or so you spent on a stove you use five times is as many weeks would equate to some nice meals in a restaurant, a few hot showers on posh campsites or some more tat for the topbox :028: 

At the risk of sounding rather cynical, I've a sneaking suspicion half the luggage you see on these full-on adventure bikes is actually cameras, batteries, spare batteries, laptops and chargers, so the owners can take lots of evocative photos of their bikes (fully loaded) and then blog about it...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:00:47 PM by Jonathan »

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 06:48:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by UKJeeper [+]
Giant Loop has nice kit, like Moto Mosco. But... damn, they're . The Great basin and Coyote bags are twice the price of my Motech bag.

I had a Great Basin. It works for other people, but I ended up swapping it for two soft panniers and using a duffle bag on the seat. I didn't care for the one large compartment and it wasn't that easy to dive into quickly. I packed my equipment in a way that I usually only accessed 2 of the 3 bags daily, making it super easy to find things.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage