Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Luggage distribution  (Read 2624 times)

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
Re: Luggage distribution
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »

Ah, and my riding suit Outer Shell is in the front bag as well.   It's a bit bulky.
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 05:26:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by slowrider [+]
Yes,I know:-(

The 2 yellow bags are basically my camping gear.  The rear one is my Lone Rider Tent and the one at the front my sleeping bag, inflatable mat, cot, chair, table and stuff.  If I was to use a compression sack I could get the sleeping bag smaller.    I am also gluten intolerant, so I tend to take a lot of freeze dried gluten free food packs with me.  They basically fill half of one of the panniers.   However, next year I am taking a cooking pan to go on my jet boil so will try out cooking each day, so I can then buy food as I travel.   So I recon I can probably then getaway with just one of the Yellow bags.

Trip in April is London to the Sahara and back and hoping to do some of the old Dakar route.  This will be my 4th trip down to the Sahara.   Ferry to Northern Spain and ride down to get the ferry to Tangier.   Going to take the long way and will spend about 5 days in Spain on the way down and 14 days in Morocco.   

Sounds like you'll have fun! I'm thinking of Spain next summer/autumn. I don't fancy the schlepp through France so I reckon the Ferry to Santander or Bilbao...I looked at the prices and thought it was pretty expensive, but when I figured out my fuel and camping bill to get from Calais to the Pyrenees last year, it's money well spent.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:27:17 PM by Jonathan »

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 06:43:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
Sounds like you'll have fun! I'm thinking of Spain next summer/autumn. I don't fancy the schlepp through France so I reckon the Ferry to Santander or Bilbao...I looked at the prices and thought it was pretty expensive, but when I figured out my fuel and camping bill to get from Calais to the Pyrenees last year, it's money well spent.

Yes, it is well worthwhile, make sure you get a cabin.   I have seen bikers that have just roughed it out on the chairs and you would not want to ride a distance after that.   

Two tips for ferry travel, 1) make sure your cabin is not over/under the live entertainment area.  The bass beat of the music vibrates through the cabins so not even earplugs stop the annoyance.  2) pack a small overnight bag so you don't have to carry your luggage up and down flights of stairs.  I also have a lock to secure the helmet to the bike.

I use Nutt Travel who appear to get discounted rates.   They are really good at also dealing with change requests while you are travelling.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 07:13:02 PM »
Yes, it is well worthwhile, make sure you get a cabin.   I have seen bikers that have just roughed it out on the chairs and you would not want to ride a distance after that.   

Two tips for ferry travel, 1) make sure your cabin is not over/under the live entertainment area.  The bass beat of the music vibrates through the cabins so not even earplugs stop the annoyance.  2) pack a small overnight bag so you don't have to carry your luggage up and down flights of stairs.  I also have a lock to secure the helmet to the bike.

I use Nutt Travel who appear to get discounted rates.   They are really good at also dealing with change requests while you are travelling.

Thanks for the recommendation SR...I'll try Nutt travel, see what they can do. Having worked as a musician on ships in a past life, I can wholeheartedly agree with your suggestion to avoid cabins near the ents lounges...a man can only take so many Chris De burgh covers before the urge to jump overboard becomes too strong
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 07:13:50 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Bat7

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »

Here is mine fully loaded for a 6715 mile trip in July. To improve weight distribution, I used the Wolfman tank panniers for small heavier items like tools and water. Light bulky items went on the topbox. Camping gear was in the 80L dry bag. Camera, phone anything small and difficult to replace went on the tank bag which could be easily carried when off the bike. Clothing went in the saddlebags: gear on right side and other clothing in left.I have to admit getting on and off could present challenges due to a spinal fusion and limited range of motion in right hip. Once on the bike and moving there were no problems, including a 650 day and some road construction in Wyoming where the existing road had been scraped away in preparation for paying down fresh pavement.
Mick

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2018, 03:00:59 PM »
Same  '14 CB500X as Bat7 loaded for a four day weekend and 1500 miles.

Offline BobbyLee666

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Northern VA
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 12:51:48 AM »
Kind of an old thread, but some use tank panniers for extra storage up front:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/tank-panniers.196530/
Current bike: 2013 CB500XA. Previous bikes: several.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by BobbyLee666 [+]
Kind of an old thread, but some use tank panniers for extra storage up front:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/tank-panniers.196530/

I've yet to see this done on the X, apart from some giant loop ones, which looked a bit on the small side. On traditional dual sport bikes, the tanks tend to be relatively tall and narrow (for better leg clearance when standing up) so tank panniers are a good choice for touring.

I'll be using Givi pannier racks on mine, but I think I'll chop and re-weld them to move the weight further forward. the motech Evo racks look pretty sturdy, and they look like they're modular (same mounting frame, different arms for specific bikes) so this may be another option if I can pick up some decent used ones from another bike
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:44:06 PM by Jonathan »

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 05:04:13 PM »

Hi Johnathan, I am keen to follow your progress here.   I am going to be swapping out my RR pannier racks for Givi or similar next year so I am interested in any mods you make.

I will be keeping the Giant Loop panniers for travelling, but I need something secure and lockable for around London.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »
Hi Johnathan, I am keen to follow your progress here.   I am going to be swapping out my RR pannier racks for Givi or similar next year so I am interested in any mods you make.

I will be keeping the Giant Loop panniers for travelling, but I need something secure and lockable for around London.

I'll keep you posted  :028: One of the things I'm looking at is Nanuk cases (like Peli but cheaper).
I've no complaints with the Givi panniers I've used for ages (E35 and similar) but they are quite wide, so take all the fun out of lane splitting. The Nanuks are basically suitcase proportions so flatter (and taller) which should work well on the X. The Givi pannier racks are as good as anything else I've seen on the market, and I have a set on another bike, but they're designed with pillion clearance in  mind. If you ride mainly solo, an inch or two further forward, and an inch or two further inboard is well worth getting the welder out for :001:

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage