Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: GSM, SMS fuel relay cut off....  (Read 209 times)

Online Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
GSM, SMS fuel relay cut off....
« on: November 20, 2018, 08:47:31 PM »
Quick follow up on a project that I've been looking at. Based on the bait car experiments in the US and elsewhere...

Been in touch with a UK electronics company who make bespoke GSM dialler gear for maintenance operatives....provides the ability to disconnect/connect and monitor components and sensors via SMS. I put it to them that a 12V DC device that could disconnect the power supply to a fuel pump relay, alert the owner and provide real-time GPS coordinates would make a pretty useful security gadget for a motorcycle. Surprisingly, they hadn't thought of this application for their unit. I'm now asking whether the unit could be modular ie several smaller components (small non-descript black boxes) connected with cabling, to make it more easily installed on bikes, where space is restricted....

Waiting on a reply, but if it looks promising I think I'm going to have a play with it....standard gear retails for around 100 so it could be a worthwhile product

Any electronics or comms wizards who can think of potential issues or ways to improve such a device please feel free to comment
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:53:27 PM by Jonathan »

Offline CB500X

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: GSM, SMS fuel relay cut off....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:15:39 PM »
Sounds good  :028:

So would it (in theory) be activated by sending an SMS ?

Offline hilldweller

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Macclesfield
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 06:50:37 PM »
I'm sure there are many on ebay. Search on tracker.

BUT the big danger, make sure it's bulletproof otherwise you could end up dead if a freak phone call turned your fuel off of a busy motorway.

For example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime-GPS-GPRS-GSM-Tracker-Car-Vehicle-Motorcycle-Tracking-Waterproof-MA1012/263987948165?epid=4016026751&hash=item3d76e86a85:g:QRcAAOSw~ZFbweEU:rk:38:pf:0
Brian.

Online Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by CB500X [+]
Sounds good  :028:

So would it (in theory) be activated by sending an SMS ?

Yes...there could be a couple of options: The unit would be armed in the ignition off position and if a movement is detected (eg by a reed switch) it would send a text to the owner (like an old fashioned  pager) disable the fuel relay circuit and activate the gps tranmitter. The second option would be to send a text to the owner with linked codes to determine what happens next. The first provides coverage if the bike is stationary and moved, the second allows the owner to stop the bike relatively safely in the event of a hi-jack...working on the assumption that the owner would be carrying their 'phone in a pocket, rather than attached to the bike. For folks using their smartphone as a satnav, you'd obviously need another carry 'phone.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a 'phone....it could operate via a transducer fob in your pocket and work off proximity....for example, if you were ten metres away from the bike the fuel pump relay wouldn't be connected. There are a number of safety implications and issues with lost fobs, potential interference etc. so SMS seems to be the more reliable technology based on my research so far. 

From what I can gather, most bike thieves with any nous will break the locks and leave the scene without attempting to start the engine. They'll park it in a relatively quiet area a mile or two away (block of flats, side street etc.) and leave it for a few hours, or over night, to see if it has a tracker. If nobody turns up, they assume it doesn't. It's either stripped or sold as is...the c*nts even advertize on Facebook!

If the bike is loaded into a van, a garage with a steel roof or even a dense urban area, gps isn't as effective as RF as it relies on line of site to satellites. The best device would use both, but if the thief has a signal jammer you're stumped. At the end of the day, it comes down to what lengths you're prepared to go in order to protect your bike. If I could afford a 24/7 monitored smart tracker with annual subscriptions I would. It doesn't stop the bike being nicked and it doesn't guarantee you'll get it back but it's the best option at present, combined with decent physical security and deterrents. I just like the idea of being able to cut the fuel supply, preferably when some thieving tw@t is riding it....

Online Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 07:49:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by hilldweller [+]
I'm sure there are many on ebay. Search on tracker.

BUT the big danger, make sure it's bulletproof otherwise you could end up dead if a freak phone call turned your fuel off of a busy motorway.

For example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime-GPS-GPRS-GSM-Tracker-Car-Vehicle-Motorcycle-Tracking-Waterproof-MA1012/263987948165?epid=4016026751&hash=item3d76e86a85:g:QRcAAOSw~ZFbweEU:rk:38:pf:0

It'd be fairly unlikely if it relies on a reed switch (or mag switch) to send the signal to the 'phone and then a user input to initialize the command to disconnect the fuel pump relay, but I take your point....that's why I'm wary of using some of the cheaper units available as a basis. The company concerned does stuff for wind generators, oil rigs, remote power stations and marine applications so I imagine it's pretty good quality compared to some...

If it's too expensive to put into practice, it'll have to go on the back burner...it's very early days
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 07:50:43 PM by Jonathan »

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage