Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hallo from Surrey in the UK  (Read 589 times)

Offline MrW

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500XA
  • City / Town: Godalming
Hallo from Surrey in the UK
« on: November 26, 2018, 11:39:13 AM »
Hi, everyone. I was searching on the web for info on accessories for my new (second hand) CB500X and accidentally came across this site. Can't believe there's a forum specifically for owners of this particular kind of bike - how good is that!

My buddy Steve recommended a CB500 - he has an NC750 - for a trip we plan to do next summer to Russia. He lives over there and speaks the lingo - well, it was an idea that would be stupid to turn down. Having not ridden a motorcycle for about 34 years, I went straight out and bought the bike and now have to get used to riding again. I'm normally an avid bicycle rider which requires an entirely different set of skills, though some are transferable - notably those relating to the vulnerability of anyone who rides on two wheels when compared to those who, for whatever reason - usually ignorance - prefer getting about in metal boxes; not that I have anything against them really, being a car driver myself out of necessity and for practical purposes.

I must admit to some degree of trepidation at returning after so long to bike riding. I'm now 70 and don't want to end up as a statistic, so will be playing it pretty carefully. The plan is to go on a course and update my Star Rider gold award that I obtained way back in the early eighties which appears now to be defunct.

I'm looking forward to being able to obtain help from this forum because I shall undoubtedly have lots of questions to ask. But until I do, here's wishing my new found buddies very happy and safe motorbiking! (I keep wanting to say cycling but that's what I do on my bicycle!)

MrW

Offline catstevecam

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Re: Hallo from Surrey in the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
 :400: Mr W - I hope you find your return to powered 2-wheels more fun than you could have imagined - a few hours of practice and advanced training will go a long way to reassuring you that you never 'lost' it !
There will be many on this forum keen to hear and see your Russian ride report, so please set aside time for a diary and photos during your adventure - no-one will complain if you include photos of your mates NC750 - we are all family here.
There's plenty of luggage related material on here so use the search and have fun.  :152:

Offline MrW

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 12:39:17 PM »
You need have no fears on that score, Catstevecam. I'm an avid blog writer - see https://bikeridesmw.wordpress.com. That aside, it's very good to receive a reply so thanks for that and for your reassurance about getting my 'bike boots' back easily; I hope you're right!

I envy you the open roads of Northumberland - it must be lovely riding up there, if a trifle cold at this time of year!

Good wishes  :300:

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:13:37 PM »
 :400:
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline 2Bpencil

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Tunbridge Wells
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 03:26:18 PM »
You'll find that there are plenty of returning bikers taking it steady on this forum.

Offline slowrider

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 500X RR L3
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 04:34:20 PM »
Welcome.

I am just up the road in Kingston.   Let me know if you fancy a ride out /meet-up some time.
Having fun with a CB500XA with Rally Raid Level 3 upgrade.

Toured in : 🇬🇧 🇮🇪 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 🇳🇱 🇪🇸 🇮🇹 🇸🇮 🇭🇷🇳🇴 🇩🇰 🇸🇪 🇫🇮 🇲🇦🇵🇹🇧🇪🇱🇺🇬🇮

Offline Trailrunner

• CB500X Pro
  • Let's Ride Enjoying the outdoors aboard the CBX
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CBX
  • City / Town: Dalton, GA.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 05:09:20 PM »
I hope you enjoy your new bike.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 05:35:03 PM »
I've done a lot of bicycling and worked as an expert witness in bicycle accident cases on the standard of care, and there are certainly overlaps in the risks motorcyclists and bicyclists undertake, though there are some significant differences, too, especially since motorcyclists do not need to share the lane with cars.  I really like David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling books, though they are based on riding in the U.S.  I try to make a perusal of them part of my Spring return-to-riding regime.  In the meantime,  :400:.

Offline AJC500

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500X ABS
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 06:02:03 PM »
Welcome back to motorcycling, I came back about 7 years ago, now 65 and loving biking and the 500X - just remember everyone else is an idiot and you'll be fine!!  :001:
The Story So Far.........
2017 and 2018: 8000miles recreational use - 89.82mpg UK; 74.79mpg US; 3.14litres/100km

Offline MrW

• CB500X Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »
Great to receive welcoming words from so many people.  :046:

Recent Topics