Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What are your weekend plans?  (Read 6464 times)

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
Re: What are your weekend plans?
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by ewryly [+]
Because it is a dreary November (now December!!) of my soul and I am too far from the sea, I will stay home and read. :068:

Whatcha reading?

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Whatcha reading?

I'm teaching a couple of high school Lit classes, so I'm rereading for them--Slaughterhouse-Five and just finishing Heart of Darkness--and, for myself, I am reading Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces.  I believe, ThirtyOne, that you also teach.  Is that correct? 

Offline Herman

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2018, 08:47:00 PM »
I have two tool tubes behind the RR racks but there is space under seat for permanent spares such as levers and pads. The project has barely begun though it has to be said.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2018, 11:37:23 PM »
I'm teaching a couple of high school Lit classes, so I'm rereading for them--Slaughterhouse-Five and just finishing Heart of Darkness--and, for myself, I am reading Campbell's The Hero with a Thousand Faces.  I believe, ThirtyOne, that you also teach.  Is that correct?

Fantastic books. Yes, I teach high school Language Arts / AP Language / AP Lit. We just finished Of Mice and Men and The Hobbit. Going to start 1984 with my Honors English/Pre-AP class in January.

Offline ewryly

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 01:00:56 AM »
Fantastic books. Yes, I teach high school Language Arts / AP Language / AP Lit. We just finished Of Mice and Men and The Hobbit. Going to start 1984 with my Honors English/Pre-AP class in January.

That should generate some good conversations!

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2018, 02:22:08 AM »
That should generate some good conversations!

Indeed. I taught 1984 last year and it definitely got their attention. This year the class is much bigger. Looking forward to their reactions.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2018, 02:24:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Herman [+]
I have two tool tubes behind the RR racks but there is space under seat for permanent spares such as levers and pads. The project has barely begun though it has to be said.

Unless it's lockable I wouldn't be able to use tool tubes here. Theft is bad. My plan is to maximize the space under the seat and the rest goes in the top box. Hopefully not much.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2018, 04:09:57 PM »

A few years back I remember seeing a list of children's books that had been taken off the curriculum in US schools, for various reasons...it was required reading as far as I'm concerned! I get the whole political correctness thing, but this is why we use the Arts and literature in particular,  to educate our children in cultural history and development. If a book is offensive, or can be considered politically incorrect; don't ban it- explore the reasons why, consider the issues...and why it was deemed acceptable at the time of writing.

We have a similar thing going on in the universities over here in the UK at the moment...'no platforming'...where people with an unpopular or controversial viewpoint are not invited to give seminars or lectures, as it may offend certain groups or individuals. WTF? Let them speak...let them be challenged. My nephew has just got into Oxford this September. He was gutted that Steve Bannon wasn't allowed to give a talk...he would have been ripped to shreds!
I don't agree with much of what the likes of Bannon and his ilk have to say on many things, but I'd defend his right to put his point across...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:12:33 PM by Jonathan »

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonathan [+]
A few years back I remember seeing a list of children's books that had been taken off the curriculum in US schools, for various reasons...it was required reading as far as I'm concerned! I get the whole political correctness thing, but this is why we use the Arts and literature in particular,  to educate our children in cultural history and development. If a book is offensive, or can be considered politically incorrect; don't ban it- explore the reasons why, consider the issues...and why it was deemed acceptable at the time of writing.

We have a similar thing going on in the universities over here in the UK at the moment...'no platforming'...where people with an unpopular or controversial viewpoint are not invited to give seminars or lectures, as it may offend certain groups or individuals. WTF? Let them speak...let them be challenged. My nephew has just got into Oxford this September. He was gutted that Steve Bannon wasn't allowed to give a talk...he would have been ripped to shreds!
I don't agree with much of what the likes of Bannon and his ilk have to say on many things, but I'd defend his right to put his point across...

This is largely why I am hesitant to return to the USA and teach there. We are give a lot more liberties here in Central America and the school where I work is very open to topics. As long as we discuss topics in a respectful way, we can cover quite a bit. Parents are sue-happy here either.

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »
This is largely why I am hesitant to return to the USA and teach there. We are give a lot more liberties here in Central America and the school where I work is very open to topics. As long as we discuss topics in a respectful way, we can cover quite a bit. Parents are sue-happy here either.

no shortage of great writers and poets from Latin America!  I'm not down on education in the US per se...I don't know enough about it, but when a pro-logging lobby manages to have The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss taken off the school library shelves, you have to ask the question....

Recent Topics