Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best suspension upgrade.  (Read 2753 times)

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
Re: Best suspension upgrade.
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 07:28:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
I never suggested that it was expensive, only that it has dropped in price. Considering the cost for a full front/rear L1, I think it's a very fair price.

Hi ThirtyOne - I appreciate that, so to clarify your comment particularly: Rally-Raid have not dropped the price of the LEVEL 1 kit - it basically costs what it always cost when it was introduced - the only difference is the Pound has decreased in value against other currencies over the last 18 months due to Brexit, which for buyers outside of the UK, means it now costs correspondingly less than it did before.

Jx
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:31:39 AM by JMo »
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »
Well, I stand corrected.

Offline JMo

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2018, 02:46:37 PM »
Well, I stand corrected.

No worries - I appreciate your enthusiasm, it's just in such matters I feel it important to make sure the correct information is out there, especially regarding those products/companies I've been involved with directly.

The internet is rife with misinformation these days - as I'm sure we're all too well aware!

Jenny x
It's not a unicorn as such, just a little mule with a bump on it's head... www.CB500Xadventure.com

Offline Marv_

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Suffolk
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 06:39:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by JMo [+]
No worries - I appreciate your enthusiasm, it's just in such matters I feel it important to make sure the correct information is out there, especially regarding those products/companies I've been involved with directly.

The internet is rife with misinformation these days - as I'm sure we're all too well aware!

Jenny x

....and there was me hoping the price would drop below 500, in the new year  :008:

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Marv_ [+]
....and there was me hoping the price would drop below 500, in the new year  :008:

I ran stock suspensions on my bikes for a long long time. I only learned about the benefits of aftermarket suspensions after buying a bike that was already fully sorted with an aftermarket kit, and even then I didn't buy that bike especially because it had high end suspenders. But, once I swung a leg over the bike and went down the road, I realized how much of a difference it can make. And how does the saying go? "Buy once, cry once"?  :008:

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »
I never suggested that it was expensive, only that it has dropped in price. Considering the cost for a full front/rear L1, I think it's a very fair price.

Maybe it was me! I'm saving up for the RR L1 fork kit simply because the parts alone wouldn't be far off at retail prices (bespoke damper valve, spring upgrade, machined damper rod to suit) and that's without any R & D...I have the Tractive shock installed, since the back end was pants but I wanted to see if I could improve the front end by playing with oil height, weight and pre-load before pulling the trigger on something sufficient. Don't believe what they say about front end improvements on a 2016 model...it's just as carp as the earlier version. :006:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 10:28:51 PM by Jonathan »

Offline Jonathan

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bolton, Lancs
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2018, 10:26:46 PM »
Hi ThirtyOne - I appreciate that, so to clarify your comment particularly: Rally-Raid have not dropped the price of the LEVEL 1 kit - it basically costs what it always cost when it was introduced - the only difference is the Pound has decreased in value against other currencies over the last 18 months due to Brexit, which for buyers outside of the UK, means it now costs correspondingly less than it did before.

Jx

So depending on how the vote goes, if I nip over to Dublin and order it from there, will it work out cheaper? Deal....or no deal? :008:

Offline mrichi

• CB500X Member
  • mrichi
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 CB500XA
  • City / Town: TANUNDA STH AUST
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 10:54:04 PM »
I put the RR level 1 kit on my x and found the ride improvement excellent , particularly the rear shock was a lot more compliant over the bumps
Honda CB500X
Harley Dyna Super Glide Custom
1974 Honda CB500f
1973 Honda CB350f
Honda Super Magna

Offline toast

• CB500X Newbie
  • Got the 500X
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X MY14
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2019, 03:24:52 AM »
Hi PaulN - with reference to Ponzan and Thirtyone's comments - to clarify, the LEVEL 1 kit was never 'expensive' (the +2" long travel LEVEL 2 kit costs appreciably more as it has a number of additional components including a billet triple clamp, new side stand, linkage dog bone and plates, and a higher specification full adjustable shock too - and all these parts have to be fitted together as a complete kit).

Jenny x

I'd call the Ohlins TTX rear shock and front cartridge kit 'expensive'. Once we get into upgrading our components and becoming continuously mindful and aware of suspension adjustment and re-adjusting for different conditions and riding style, suspension kit can take on a whole order of magnitude of importance to us.

Here is Dave Moss going over the basics:

For comparison to the RRP 431 Level 1 fork and shock kit at approximately $785 USD here are the Ohlins:
 - FKR100 fork cartridge set at $2,200 USD from Revzilla:
      https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ohlins-fkr100-cartridge-kit

- TTX 36/39 rear shock for ADV applications at $1,340 USD from Revzilla:
      https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ohlins-ttx36-ttx39-adventure-rear-shock

I do believe that there is a gap in the Rally Raid product offering: a middle option between the Level 1 shock and the Level 2 shock, where the Level 2 shock comes in a standard ride height option to provide customers with triple adjustability (preload, ride height, Rebound, High Speed and Low Speed Compression). Probably with a piggyback oil reservoir rather than a remote reservoir due to the shock likely doing less work that the longer travel unit.

I had the OEM front forks and rear shock of my CBR600RR revalved and reoiled, and had springs replaced (Racetech), and this cost me $700 AUD.

The way the bike feels underneath, just riding around the city at normal speeds, I avoid dropping into corners (I'm a fairly smooth, fluid rider, too). The same goes for the way it gets super unsettled on even moderate bumps while on faster roads. The stock suspension, which is almost entirely unadjustable, feels far too unstable and unsafe for me. I'd also go so far as to install a steering damper to help the bike stay focused as it is dropped into, and stood up out of, corners. The engine is great for spirited around town riding but the stock suspension should be one of the first considerations for upgrade.

I'd go so far as to characterise the stock suspension as 'woeful'. Or, woah-full!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:50:00 AM by toast »

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »
Simialr to toast. I am and always have been a bit of a suspension nut though. I will always spend money on suspension and handling before any engine mods.
My considered opinion is the stock suspension is close to lamentable for on or off road, but I wouldn't even bother to write a song about it.
I have Andreani cartridges in the front , but you have to be willing to spend the money and have a non reversible mod( required turning out the stock "valving"). That requires commitment. The result is worth it though for those who prefer a stable front end and can tell the difference.
If you want to keep it reversible, a decent set of emulators ( Gold valve or equivalent) will do the job for almost everybody and are a lot cheaper. Match with a correct set of springs for you and your bikes weight and ride. A good suspension shop is a joy forever ( and hard to find).
 Rear is a rebound damping/ preload adjust only Ohlins. For the road the other damping adjustments are pretty much extra money for nothing. Once you get a good average setup you rarely change it. Road ain't the track. The conditions are so varied that you cannot tune for all eventualities ( unlike the track).
DON'T be tempted to set the bike up like a track bike if you only ride on the road. Tracks are known and predictable, roads aren't.  You need control and compliance, not just control.
The bike is beautiful to ride. Stable and never gets out of the mood.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage