Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: DIY rack...  (Read 791 times)

catstevecam and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
Re: DIY rack...
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 11:46:35 PM »
Very nice work.
I have to make a carry rack as well but still working on other things.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 11:52:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by ThirtyOne [+]
Now that's clever. Excellent work. I have that chunky adapter for my Givi topcase so I know what you're referring to. The previous owner installed a U ring underneath the rack for strapping things. Quite nice to have and I have already used it a few times when strapping oversized things to my bike. (I don't have a car)

I can add a pic tomorrow if you want to see it.

That would be great.

Online Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Lancashire
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »
Now that's clever. Excellent work. I have that chunky adapter for my Givi topcase so I know what you're referring to. The previous owner installed a U ring underneath the rack for strapping things. Quite nice to have and I have already used it a few times when strapping oversized things to my bike. (I don't have a car)

I can add a pic tomorrow if you want to see it.

always good to see how others get round a problem.... :028:

Online UnmzldOx

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500X
  • City / Town: Deep South
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 10:37:44 PM »
Nice planning and metal work. I've wanted to move from my Wolfman tail bag on the pillion seat to a waterproof duffle that sits half on seat and half on a rack like you have built. That would double storage while staying narrow. Post pics of the rack with duffle when you're done. I don't think i've seen a setup like it before.

You'll learn to goose step over the seat in short order.

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:02 AM »
Top job, very nice,10/10.

Superplasma. :047:

Online Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 04:07:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by UnmzldOx [+]
Nice planning and metal work. I've wanted to move from my Wolfman tail bag on the pillion seat to a waterproof duffle that sits half on seat and half on a rack like you have built. That would double storage while staying narrow. Post pics of the rack with duffle when you're done. I don't think i've seen a setup like it before.

You'll learn to goose step over the seat in short order.

Will do....it's the narrow thing that I'm trying to retain. Last long tour I used two 35L Givi side cases on my Transalp 600 (which isn't a particularly wide bike). The weight wasn't an issue, but the drag was noticeable. The X is comparable to the 'alp power-wise but it doesn't have the torque, so wide cases could make for a tedious journey on some stretches...having said that, I'm not planning to set any land speed records

Online Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Superplasma [+]
Top job, very nice,10/10.

Superplasma. :047:

Thanks!....hopefully, by the time I've got the U lock bracket sorted, a few more strategic holes routed and a powder finish to match the rack rails it should be a worthwhile farkle

Online ThirtyOne

• CB500X Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 12:15:24 AM »
As promised. Been a hectic week. The U section goes up and through the Givi plate so from the top there are 4 bolts in a row for that section. I like how the previous owner added the straight section of metal to connect the two sides of the rack. He added the same strip of metal on the part closer to the seat as well. It's getting a little corroded, but overall holding up fine. Let's see what it looks like after the wet season in 2019.

Online ewryly

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X 2018
  • City / Town: West Hartford
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 02:06:14 AM »
Nice and simple.

Online Jonathan

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 11:32:54 AM »
As promised. Been a hectic week. The U section goes up and through the Givi plate so from the top there are 4 bolts in a row for that section. I like how the previous owner added the straight section of metal to connect the two sides of the rack. He added the same strip of metal on the part closer to the seat as well. It's getting a little corroded, but overall holding up fine. Let's see what it looks like after the wet season in 2019.

Thanks for the pics!...The thing I noticed when fitting the Givi monorack is how much movement there is (up/down/side to side) between the rails. The M plate ties it all together, but it's surprisingly finnicky to get everything to line up flush.

I wonder what the PO used the U bolt for?

Recent Topics