Search

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hard winter starting model 2015 9000mi  (Read 1464 times)

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
Re: Hard winter starting model 2015 9000mi
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 11:08:42 PM »
Looks like this thread has migrating properties. These past few days it has taken longer and longer to get the X started up. Today after work it cranked for a good 4 seconds. Time to go see about a battery....

Offline SnowOwl

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 CB500X ABS
  • City / Town: SE Missouri
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 01:35:15 AM »
Anyone hear from the OP?  Has he found the problem yet?
1980 Suzuki GS250T - Sold a long time ago
------------
1982 Suzuki PE175 - For exploring the farm with the dog
2016 Honda CB500X ABS - All round commuter and day trips

Offline Jonnielights

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 CB500XA
  • City / Town: Queens, NY
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 02:04:19 AM »
Hello Everyone,

So I am still struggling with the issue, as it has been unseasonably cold in nyc the past few weeks, freezing or at least almost freezing every night and rarely reaching 40F during the days.  I have taken the suggestions of running the battery by way of turning on the hazed lights for about 30 sec before turning the bike over as I have changed the headlight and tail light to LED so they draw very little.  It still takes at least four seconds in the morning and when the temp doesn't get above 35F, but has always started on the second turn.   

As it is impossible to buy less then 10% Ethanol (Alcohol) gasoline in nyc, some of my motorcycle riding peers have suggested adding a fuel additive had helped them with similar issues in the past, and the exhaust does seem to contain a lot of steam on start up, so it could be moisture in the fuel from the Ethanol, I ordered some "Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment" that will be arriving tomorrow and will let you know if it helps.

As for the spark plugs, I haven't had the chance to check as I have been working like a crazy man the past few weeks and it is also too cold to work on outside, but I am hoping soon the weather will warm up a bit and I will have the chance to take a look.

Thank you for all your response's and I'll be sure to let you know how it shakes out, as I still have a long winter of commuting ahead of me here.

Jon   
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:18:56 AM by Jonnielights »

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jonnielights [+]
Hello Everyone,

So I am still struggling with the issue, as it has been unseasonably cold in nyc the past few weeks, freezing or at least almost freezing every night and rarely reaching 40F during the days.  I have taken the suggestions of running the battery by way of turning on the hazed lights for about 30 sec before turning the bike over as I have changed the headlight and tail light to LED so they draw very little.  It still takes at least four seconds in the morning and when the temp doesn't get above 35F, but has always started on the second turn.   

As it is impossible to buy less then 10% Ethanol (Alcohol) gasoline in nyc, some of my motorcycle riding peers have suggested adding a fuel additive had helped them with similar issues in the past, and the exhaust does seem to contain a lot of steam on start up, so it could be moisture in the fuel from the Ethanol, I ordered some "Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment" that will be arriving tomorrow and will let you know if it helps.

As for the spark plugs, I haven't had the chance to check as I have been working like a crazy man the past few weeks and it is also too cold to work on outside, but I am hoping soon the weather will warm up a bit and I will have the chance to take a look.

Thank you for all your response's and I'll be sure to let you know how it shakes out, as I still have a long winter of commuting ahead of me here.

Jon

Do you have access to a multimeter to check battery voltages?
Resting voltage should be around 13 to 13.5v.
Voltage while starting should never drop below 12v.
Running voltage with the headlight on dim and no accessories on should be 14.2 to 14.5v.

My battery is about four months old. It's the one I described previously in this thread. It's practically new and explains the high resting voltage. I removed my battery before we got all of our freezing weather and snow this week. My bike hasn't been started or rode in a few months.
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Online oldtexan

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2018 CB500x ABS
  • City / Town: East Texas
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 11:24:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]

My battery is about four months old. It's the one I described previously in this thread. It's practically new and explains the high resting voltage. I removed my battery before we got all of our freezing weather and snow this week. My bike hasn't been started or rode in a few months.

EscCtrl, is your battery the 190 CCA battery?

Does anyone have an idea about why the larger CCA battery would help the hard starting issue?  It seems like a higher CCA would affect cranking speed, but does the issue with slow starting include slow cranking?

Are there any disadvantages to a higher CCA battery?  Maybe the thickness of the plates?

Online CB-500-X

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB 500 X
  • City / Town: South Florida
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2018, 12:58:34 AM »
Here's an alternative thought.... my bike will crank but not start with the side stand down, I know this is odd but it is what it is. Try putting the stand up and pulling in the clutch before you hit the starter button. Should start right up. Maybe. Let us know.

Offline ThirtyOne

• CB500X God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 CB500X
  • City / Town: Tegucigalpa
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2018, 02:02:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]
Here's an alternative thought.... my bike will crank but not start with the side stand down, I know this is odd but it is what it is. Try putting the stand up and pulling in the clutch before you hit the starter button. Should start right up. Maybe. Let us know.

Additionally , starting will be easier when the bike is in neutral. Even with the clutch lever pulled while in gear, the plates are wet with oil in there can cause the plates to still create drag. I had this issue with another bike.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:03:38 AM by ThirtyOne »

Offline Jonnielights

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2018, 04:48:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by EscCtrl [+]
Do you have access to a multimeter to check battery voltages?
Resting voltage should be around 13 to 13.5v.
Voltage while starting should never drop below 12v.
Running voltage with the headlight on dim and no accessories on should be 14.2 to 14.5v.

I do, as I am a production electrician, and I initially considered it; I have been just working too much (70-100+ per/wk) for this terrible reality tv show to find the motivation and the bike has yet to let me down with a little patience.  I'll definitely check it all out over the holiday but I'm beginning to think the Lithium/Iron needs to be woke up a bit below 40F, as suggested in previous posts, as on the second turn she always bites.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 05:08:26 AM by Jonnielights »

Offline Jonnielights

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2018, 04:52:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by CB-500-X [+]

She starts side stand down as long as she is not in gear and regardless of clutch the bike won't run with the stand down in gear. Neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled, no stand, no problem with turning over.
Also the only time I ever really start the bike in gear would be if I stalled, I can't think of I time I stared cold outside of neutral.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:57:10 AM by Jonnielights »

Offline EscCtrl

• CB500X God
  • Wrecked Wrench Motorcyclist
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 CB500XT
  • City / Town: Upstate, SC USA
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 07:07:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by oldtexan [+]
EscCtrl, is your battery the 190 CCA battery?

Does anyone have an idea about why the larger CCA battery would help the hard starting issue?  It seems like a higher CCA would affect cranking speed, but does the issue with slow starting include slow cranking?

Are there any disadvantages to a higher CCA battery?  Maybe the thickness of the plates?

Yes, it's 190cca. No, there is no downside to more CCA. More will help to make starts easier to a point. Yes, low CCA leads to slow turn over speeds and slow starting. The battery is supplying its power to the starter. Once the starter is spinning at speed, the load lessens and then the motorcycle electrical system is fed power. With the proper CCA, this can all happen at the same time. Low CCA and there may not be enough power to energize the various electronics on the bike with the starter running.

My battery is on sale at $47.95 with free priority shipping. Please note that I am a happy consumer and have no affiliation with Battery Stuff.
https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTZ10S.html
Artist also known as ben2go.
Current bikes
Six=Suzuki GS500,'00 V Star Classic,'14 CB500X farkled out nicely.
I rescue neglected and battered motorcycles.

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage