Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Help! DID X-ring chain (Is this normal?)  (Read 779 times)

Offline Superplasma

• CB500X Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Brombough
Re: Help! DID X-ring chain (Is this normal?)
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 05:00:45 PM »
  20 years off road using spring clips, never had one come off.

Superplasma.

Offline sk8norcal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SAN JOSE
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 05:23:50 PM »
I asked this on the FB group was told the protrusion side was for the side where one would install the spring clip.

Offline gregjet

• CB500X Pro
  • Go forth and modify
    • View Profile
  • Bike: CB500X
  • City / Town: Bundaberg
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 08:05:57 PM »
A properly installed clip link of the correct size is as strong as a rivet link. I have been using ONLY clip links since 1973 in my street and race bikes. NEVER had a failure except for a Diamond chain that actually snapped at the plates on a motorcross bike. Every track rider I know personally uses clip links, but that is primarily because you can mount and unmount them quickly and remove them for cleaning and work on the bike, as well as different lengths for different sprocket combinations.
A badly installed rivet link is MUCH weaker than a properly installed clip link. Poor installation of rivet links is the most common cause chain breakage and damage ( on chains that are still serviceable).
Note the use of "PROPERLY installed". Correct size, clip orientation, lubrication and if you are using a link with seals, they must be fitted properly.
You can use a narrower link without seals if you have close chain maintenence intervals and lube them properly with each installation. Makes installation and removal much quicker especially for tack bikes.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 08:07:07 PM by gregjet »

Offline sk8norcal

• CB500X Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SAN JOSE
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 05:09:12 AM »
I was wondering how do I remove the master link?  (not that I really have a need to do it)

I know how to pop the spring clip off.  (light tap from the rear of the clip with a flat screwdriver and mallet)
but how to remove the link plate?  (the link plate was pressed on using a chain tool)

Recent Topics

victorious-backstage